Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The BEST 3 RPGs you have ever played

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

MrMoe

MrMoe

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

1. Fallout 1 + 2

2. Baldurs Gate 1 + 2

3. Arcanum

I would like to mention Diablo 1, sure its more an A-RPG but it has an atmosphere so thick, you can cut thru it. Also it was my first.

999. Fallout 4

I played 100+ hours of it, its fun, it looks great, good FPS. But a horrible RPG 

Edited by MrMoe, 05 July 2018 - 01:59 AM.

• Lorfean and ShadySands like this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2384 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Nice to meet another game music aficionado :biggrin: (albeit my own tastes are more on "VtM: Bloodlines" and "Brutal Legend" side and I am probably the only person on Earth who finds ESO series music ultimately nondescript).

A few of us here have good taste in music, head over to the game soundtrack thread and you'll feel needed :)

Taevyr

Taevyr

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

(Also SWTOR: Imperial Agent story is one of my favourite RPGs, and pretty high on the list. It's criminally wasted as a part of a MMO)

That and the Sith Warrior story are my favourite ones in SWTOR. The sheer amount of twists and possible endings - especially for an MMO class story - makes Imperial agent quite a gem. Went through it three times to see the various outcomes; my favourite ending's

Spoiler

Edited by Taevyr, 05 July 2018 - 06:52 AM.

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3578 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

Nice to meet another game music aficionado :biggrin: (albeit my own tastes are more on "VtM: Bloodlines" and "Brutal Legend" side and I am probably the only person on Earth who finds ESO series music ultimately nondescript).

A few of us here have good taste in music, head over to the game soundtrack thread and you'll feel needed :)

Says a man who glorifies Taylor Swift :p

• Chilloutman and SonicMage117 like this

renz

renz

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts

not the best but my personal favorite

1. suikoden 2

2. suikoden 5r

3. drakensang 2 or prince of qin

Verde

Verde

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 739 posts
  • Steam:DragonSoundxSG
BG to BG2? That's an opinion I don't see often. You must liking fighting a wolf over and over at lvl 1 :p

Jk

1. BG2

2. Dark Souls

3. Xenogears

Novem

Novem

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • Steam:obrusnine
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

In no particular order, and more than three because that's too few...

Trails in the Sky FC&SC

The Witcher 3

Pillars of Eternity

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2

Dragon Age: Origins

Nier Automata

Mass Effect 2

Skyrim with Mods

Edited by Novem, 23 July 2018 - 05:52 PM.

• Urthor and LittleAmadillo0 like this

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5102 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Shining Force III had similar qualities inside, and it isn't very popular here, sadly. To me, the best tactical RPG ever (sorry Jagged Alliance 2, but C&C and story are better in SFIII), and I suspect that many don't care about it, because they think it's a JRPG like the Final Fantasy series and co, while the Shining Force series has nothing to do with. But, the reason could be because it was released on Saturn, and only the first scenario was released in NA and Europe. About this, since I completed SFIII years after Planescape: Torment and Fallout, maybe if SFIII Scenario 2, 3 and the Premium Disc content were released outside of Japan back then, maybe SFIII would have become the first one in my top 3.

I played the old Shining force...

Man..that was good . And never heard of a 3rd !!

But if it was on Saturn , then yeah . 

I did own a Saturn back then (and still, because it remains one of my favorite systems), but I have waited for SFIII for too long, rumors were insistant about the project of a new Shining Force on Saturn, since 1995. When Shining Wisdom came, it wasn't bad (at least not as bad as many said) but not a 'Force. And when Shining the Holy Ark released, another nice game (very good in fact), but still not a 'Force... After 2 years, the wait was a bit tiring.

The only Shining Force-like released west-wide was Riglord Saga (aka Mystaria aka Blazing Heroes, depending of the area and the date of release). A pretty good one though.

Rumours around were that Riglord Saga 2 was in the making too, but when Sega of America crumbled Saturn marketing in 1997, I lost hope like everyone and went to PC (that's how I discovered Fallout and so on). It was literally years after that I have learned that both Riglord Saga 2 and Shining Force III were finally released in Japan (SFIII in 3 parts along 6 months, and with a bonus disc), and even SFIII scenario 1 was released in NA and Europe!

In the end, happy to have enjoyed Fallout and IE at that time and thus being mainly a PC gamer, but still a bit angry how Sega did for SFIII and the Saturn as a whole.

"thanks Sega"

I think SFIII isn't better recognized / popular because (a) it was on the Saturn and it wasn't as popular a system as Playstation was and (b) the full story only ever came out in the US.  SFIII was pretty much DOA when Sega of America announced that they were only bothering to translate the first chapter.  Most people I know modded their Saturn and bought the imports.

Personally I didn't find the wait all that bad, we had a yearly Shining release more or less but for one year (1996 IIRC and it would have been longer had Working Designs not picked up Wisdom since the Sega suits in the US were vaguely anti-RPG).  But I'm still annoyed that SFIII didn't come out in its full glory in the US and Europe (and that it was, alas, the last Shining Force game of its type).

Skazz

Skazz

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 660 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Oh, wait, I have already posted in this topic. o:) 

• ShadySands and LittleAmadillo0 like this

Melusina

Melusina

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • Steam:Sorceress
  • Deadfire Backer
Double

Edited by Melusina, 25 July 2018 - 02:16 AM.

Melusina

Melusina

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
Double

Edited by Melusina, 25 July 2018 - 02:17 AM.

Melusina

Melusina

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
Baldur's Gate 2 enhanced edition
Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire
Divinity Original Sin 2

I will probably edit my post to include Definite Edition of D:OS2, which will come in August.

I'm sorry, but I didn't like Pillars of Eternity Definite Edition as much as Divinity: Original Sin 2, BG2 or POE2.

Never felt for BG1 also.

Divinity: Original Sin EE also felt restricting to multiplayer.

NWN1&2 hit better spot than Vampire the Masquerade which was creepy and dark.
Planescape Torment sucks to me, but I need to try it one more time for definite opinion.

Sword coast legends was nice, but I also need to revisit that one.

Skyrim is bit boring, although my brother enjoy it and he thinks POE1&2, BG2 and other games I play are more point and click than Skyrim.

Other games I enjoyed/enjoy were /is Heroine Quest The Herald of Ragnarok, Ember, Ghost of a Tale, Tangledeep, Tower of Time

Edited by Melusina, 25 July 2018 - 02:25 AM.

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3578 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

Double

Looks more like tripple to me :p

1 user(s) are reading this topic