Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The BEST 3 RPGs you have ever played

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

In no particular order:

• The Baldur's Gate series (counting it all as one thing)
  • Fallout New Vegas
  • Pillars of Eternity

If it were four I'd add Planescape Torment to this list.

WDeranged

WDeranged

Ordinator of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1897 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

1. Skyrim

2. Skyrim

3. Skyrim.

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5127 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

NWN2 (with MotB + mods), NWN1 (with mp server xp + mods), BG1 (with Sword Coast).

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7323 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deus Ex
  • Witcher 3
  • Fallout 2

AwesomeOcelot

AwesomeOcelot

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1241 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Easy.

1. Fallout

2. VtM: Bloodlines

3. PoE:Deadfire

Honourable mentions: Deus Ex, PoE + WM, Diablo 2, Torchlight 2, Rings of Power, Bastion, Arcanum, New Vegas, Fallout 2. DX: Human Revolution and Bioshock aren't really RPGs.

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3433 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

1. Skyrim
2. Skyrim
3. Skyrim.

You forgot to mention editions, we are confused!
  • WDeranged, Azdeus, wolfrider100 and 1 other like this

Huinehtar

Huinehtar

Technothaumaturgist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Shining Force III had similar qualities inside, and it isn't very popular here, sadly. To me, the best tactical RPG ever (sorry Jagged Alliance 2, but C&C and story are better in SFIII), and I suspect that many don't care about it, because they think it's a JRPG like the Final Fantasy series and co, while the Shining Force series has nothing to do with. But, the reason could be because it was released on Saturn, and only the first scenario was released in NA and Europe. About this, since I completed SFIII years after Planescape: Torment and Fallout, maybe if SFIII Scenario 2, 3 and the Premium Disc content were released outside of Japan back then, maybe SFIII would have become the first one in my top 3.

I played the old Shining force...

Man..that was good . And never heard of a 3rd !!

But if it was on Saturn , then yeah . 

I did own a Saturn back then (and still, because it remains one of my favorite systems), but I have waited for SFIII for too long, rumors were insistant about the project of a new Shining Force on Saturn, since 1995. When Shining Wisdom came, it wasn't bad (at least not as bad as many said) but not a 'Force. And when Shining the Holy Ark released, another nice game (very good in fact), but still not a 'Force... After 2 years, the wait was a bit tiring.

The only Shining Force-like released west-wide was Riglord Saga (aka Mystaria aka Blazing Heroes, depending of the area and the date of release). A pretty good one though.

Rumours around were that Riglord Saga 2 was in the making too, but when Sega of America crumbled Saturn marketing in 1997, I lost hope like everyone and went to PC (that's how I discovered Fallout and so on). It was literally years after that I have learned that both Riglord Saga 2 and Shining Force III were finally released in Japan (SFIII in 3 parts along 6 months, and with a bonus disc), and even SFIII scenario 1 was released in NA and Europe!

In the end, happy to have enjoyed Fallout and IE at that time and thus being mainly a PC gamer, but still a bit angry how Sega did for SFIII and the Saturn as a whole.

"thanks Sega"

• E.RedMark likes this

Serrano

Serrano

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1182 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Witcher 3

Planescape Torment

Deus Ex

Edited by Serrano, 13 June 2018 - 07:48 AM.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2074 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Hell, if I knew we could cheat by giving more than 3 rpg's and writing a full essay to validate our choices, I would have...

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2951 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

It's not too late

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3433 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

It's not too late

Don’t give him ideas please, the essay would turn sooner or later into young adults story about how great is Ubisoft :p

mczas

mczas

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts

Witcher 3

Fable

Frostpunk

Pessimeister

Pessimeister

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I certainly interpret "best" as favourite but have played so many over the years that a reduction to three is always tough. Thus, I'm going to cheat slightly.  

Bard's Tale III: The Thief of Fate

Curse of the Azure Bonds (Goldbox goodness!)

Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar & Ultima VII: The Black Gate

Honourable mention to the Infinity Engine for my consistent return to it. (Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate especially) 

• IndiraLightfoot likes this

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3433 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

wow, that's pretty old classics you brought to the table :)

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2074 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen - The best combat seen in any rpg period. Defies D&D system so that also makes it a better rpg. Change your class at any time, limitless replayability, tons of content and fetch quests! Make sure you carry a lantern with you at all times, if you get stuck in the dark without one at night, you're pretty much doomed.

Pillars Of Eternity - An rpg founded upon religion and demonstrates what religion does relatably. As religion brings people together in real life, so it does also in PoE. And then like in real life, nay sayers will manipulate religions to be evil and not realize their unbeliefs are still beliefs which dictate their own personal mindset into religion and confusing others, savvy? And like that, a war was started and in PoE's case, an equivalent to the roman crusade but of course with dragons and the like. As someone that hates religion and seperation of people, it was nice to see an elegant truth on the war of religion vs anti-religion theology and psychology. Cleaver!

Kotor 2 - A more "mature" story than the previous two I've mentioned and perhaps Obsidian's finest work still this day. A vast journey which spans the galaxy, combat so easy a monkey could finish this with his eyes closed. Great casual rpg with great story... what could be better than that combination? Nothing.

Pyre - Perhaps the first game we ever see that dumps rpg combat on it's head by replacing combat entirely with a "sport tournament" that affects the storyline at every turn. Basically you're exiled to a land of exiles and the grand prize wins you freedom to go home, pardoned but even more importantly is that you are in charge of others fates as well. Who will stay in hell, who will go back to normal lives? It's all up to you. And the music is phenomenal.

Transistor -
DrakanOrderOfFlame: "There's no such thing as an 8 hour rpg that has as much depth and lore as a Final Fantasy or Baldurs Gate game"

SuperGiant Dev: "Hold my beer!"

Transistor proved everyone wrong, got rid of needless side-quests and filler, gave us something a bit more. Quite the feat when an indie dev can do an 8 hour rpg that challenges AAA nostalgia and bring it to its knees.

The Witcher 3 - It looks good, it plays good, it sounds good... IT IS JUSTLY GOOD! The Witcher 3 is an easy game to love and with good reason, there's so much quality in every department. While the prequels were hit and miss in different places, The Witcher 3 is the accidental prodigy who said "This is me, F you if you all don't like it" packaged with a "Thank you for your support" note from the dev. And it works. And couple that with dlc that add 40 hours of gameplay and you have a winner at any rate.

Costume Quest 1&2 - Well uhhh, they're amazing so yeah and I'd like both ported to android phones. They are filled to the brim with Schafer's charm and a delight to explore. Every quest is a fetch quest - literally, every one of them but none are boring so, you could say they handle them better than other rpg's?

That's the basic gist.. Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Wall-E even agrees with me on all these finely executed points :)

Edit: I just noticed that all mine are newer rpg's... what a surprise :facepalm:

Edited by SonicMage117, Today, 11:53 AM.

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1192 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

so much for 'BEST 3' :)

• SonicMage117 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users