The BEST 3 RPGs you have ever played

IamNOOB

1. Fallout 1 + 2

2. Baldurs Gate 1 + 2

3. Arcanum

I would like to mention Diablo 1, sure its more an A-RPG but it has an atmosphere so thick, you can cut thru it. Also it was my first.

999. Fallout 4

I played 100+ hours of it, its fun, it looks great, good FPS. But a horrible RPG 

Edited by MrMoe
  • Like 3

Nice to meet another game music aficionado :biggrin: (albeit my own tastes are more on "VtM: Bloodlines" and "Brutal Legend" side and I am probably the only person on Earth who finds ESO series music ultimately nondescript).

A few of us here have good taste in music, head over to the game soundtrack thread and you'll feel needed :)

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

(Also SWTOR: Imperial Agent story is one of my favourite RPGs, and pretty high on the list. It's criminally wasted as a part of a MMO)

That and the Sith Warrior story are my favourite ones in SWTOR. The sheer amount of twists and possible endings - especially for an MMO class story - makes Imperial agent quite a gem. Went through it three times to see the various outcomes; my favourite ending's

when you erase all knowledge of your identity to serve the empire as a free agent, keeping the black codex.

Edited by Taevyr

Nice to meet another game music aficionado :biggrin: (albeit my own tastes are more on "VtM: Bloodlines" and "Brutal Legend" side and I am probably the only person on Earth who finds ESO series music ultimately nondescript).

A few of us here have good taste in music, head over to the game soundtrack thread and you'll feel needed :)

Says a man who glorifies Taylor Swift :p

• Like 2

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

• 2 weeks later...

In no particular order, and more than three because that's too few...

Trails in the Sky FC&SC

The Witcher 3

Pillars of Eternity

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2

Dragon Age: Origins

Nier Automata

Mass Effect 2

Skyrim with Mods

Edited by Novem
  • Like 4

Shining Force III had similar qualities inside, and it isn't very popular here, sadly. To me, the best tactical RPG ever (sorry Jagged Alliance 2, but C&C and story are better in SFIII), and I suspect that many don't care about it, because they think it's a JRPG like the Final Fantasy series and co, while the Shining Force series has nothing to do with. But, the reason could be because it was released on Saturn, and only the first scenario was released in NA and Europe. About this, since I completed SFIII years after Planescape: Torment and Fallout, maybe if SFIII Scenario 2, 3 and the Premium Disc content were released outside of Japan back then, maybe SFIII would have become the first one in my top 3.

I played the old Shining force...

Man..that was good . And never heard of a 3rd !!

But if it was on Saturn , then yeah . 

I did own a Saturn back then (and still, because it remains one of my favorite systems), but I have waited for SFIII for too long, rumors were insistant about the project of a new Shining Force on Saturn, since 1995. When Shining Wisdom came, it wasn't bad (at least not as bad as many said) but not a 'Force. And when Shining the Holy Ark released, another nice game (very good in fact), but still not a 'Force... After 2 years, the wait was a bit tiring.

The only Shining Force-like released west-wide was Riglord Saga (aka Mystaria aka Blazing Heroes, depending of the area and the date of release). A pretty good one though.

Rumours around were that Riglord Saga 2 was in the making too, but when Sega of America crumbled Saturn marketing in 1997, I lost hope like everyone and went to PC (that's how I discovered Fallout and so on). It was literally years after that I have learned that both Riglord Saga 2 and Shining Force III were finally released in Japan (SFIII in 3 parts along 6 months, and with a bonus disc), and even SFIII scenario 1 was released in NA and Europe!

In the end, happy to have enjoyed Fallout and IE at that time and thus being mainly a PC gamer, but still a bit angry how Sega did for SFIII and the Saturn as a whole.

"thanks Sega"

I think SFIII isn't better recognized / popular because (a) it was on the Saturn and it wasn't as popular a system as Playstation was and (b) the full story only ever came out in the US.  SFIII was pretty much DOA when Sega of America announced that they were only bothering to translate the first chapter.  Most people I know modded their Saturn and bought the imports.

Personally I didn't find the wait all that bad, we had a yearly Shining release more or less but for one year (1996 IIRC and it would have been longer had Working Designs not picked up Wisdom since the Sega suits in the US were vaguely anti-RPG).  But I'm still annoyed that SFIII didn't come out in its full glory in the US and Europe (and that it was, alas, the last Shining Force game of its type).

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Baldur's Gate 2 enhanced edition

Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire

Divinity Original Sin 2

I will probably edit my post to include Definite Edition of D:OS2, which will come in August.

I'm sorry, but I didn't like Pillars of Eternity Definite Edition as much as Divinity: Original Sin 2, BG2 or POE2.

Never felt for BG1 also.

Divinity: Original Sin EE also felt restricting to multiplayer.

NWN1&2 hit better spot than Vampire the Masquerade which was creepy and dark.

Planescape Torment sucks to me, but I need to try it one more time for definite opinion.

Sword coast legends was nice, but I also need to revisit that one.

Skyrim is bit boring, although my brother enjoy it and he thinks POE1&2, BG2 and other games I play are more point and click than Skyrim.

Other games I enjoyed/enjoy were /is Heroine Quest The Herald of Ragnarok, Ember, Ghost of a Tale, Tangledeep, Tower of Time

Edited by Melusina

Double

Looks more like tripple to me :p

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

• 4 months later...

Thank God someone mentioned Shining Force III. I sometimes feel im the only person who knows that series.

SFIII was *huge*. The whole campaign is prob in the region of 120 hours, no lie. It's evidence that you can stretch out the simplest ruleset with clever encounter design. U could explain SFIII's mechanics in about a paragraph.

I personally favour it over Final Fantasy Tactics, but then I'm not a fan of the Ivalice setting. Way too ponderous.

SFIII rattles on with the momentum of an 80s kids TV show. Yknow, one of those ambitious ones like Jayce and the wheeled warriors.

For those partial to JRPGs and willing to muck about with emulators and translation patches, check it out. It's one of the forgotten greats worthy of that name.

• Like 1

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

New Top 3 RPGs I played so far, 

1. KOTOR 2.

2. The Witcher 3.

3. Dragon Age: Origins.

My number 4 would be Mass Effect 2.

Edited by wolfrider100

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´

I couldnt whittle down the list to 3, but i feel obliged to give shout outs to Shin Megami Tensei III and Arkane's reboot of Prey. both a little off the beaten track for different reasons but worthy of recognition imo.

I legit cant praise Prey enough. It hit me in a way only one other game managed - eric chahi's 'another world'.

SMT:III is a simple thing. A dungeon crawl that found the right frame for its gameplay. dont feel atlus quite got the chemistry down again, tho theyve done all right since - better than all right.

tbh, most of the standard CRPG canon is on the same level for me. What i have a hankering for depends on what side of the bed i wake up.

i do replay BG1 more than is decent. god knows why. Its just low-intensity and inconsequential enough that i can forget myself.

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

I am replaying the Witcher 3 right now (who said it wasn't replayable?! I will cut you) and I kinda wish I could cram it into my top 3 too..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, TrueNeutral said:

Some quality necromancy there. 😂

"That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die"

No, haven't changed my mind since my original contribution to this thread 😄

edit:

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Planescape Torment

Alpha Protocol

Arcanum of Steamwork and Magik Obscura

Also Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri - I play it like an RPG...

Vampire Bloodlines was good but it showed where things were cut.

Kotor was fun and we'll written for a BioWare game.

Dragon Age Origins had so much potential that it hurts how whiny the npcs were. 

Swtor could have been a great series of single player RPGs.

Same goes for Secret World.

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).