The BEST 3 RPGs you have ever played

IamNOOB

In no particular order:

Fallout series (talking about 1,2 and New Vegas, the rest don't bloody count)

Shadowrun games (Dragonfall was probably my favorite of the 3)

And probably Pillars as well.

Of course i've played more, but these are the ones that stuck to me the most.

I'm terrible at picking bests, even more so in threes. So many factors.

If I had to pick *one*, I think I'd have to go with VTM: Bloodlines. There's this meme about people reinstalling certain games as soon as they're mentioned, and indeed, I've lost count on how many playthroughs I've had for that game. 

(Speaking of which, the relative shortage of Bloodlines in this thread is disheartening. :bat:)

• Like 1

I'm terrible at picking bests, even more so in threes. So many factors.

If I had to pick *one*, I think I'd have to go with VTM: Bloodlines. There's this meme about people reinstalling certain games as soon as they're mentioned, and indeed, I've lost count on how many playthroughs I've had for that game. 

(Speaking of which, the relative shortage of Bloodlines in this thread is disheartening. :bat:)

So is for Arcanum, another Trojka game which I actually prefer. They could have been one of the best gaming companies out there. A shame they fell apart....

Oh God.

1. Fallout2 - while i probably enjoyed Fallout1 and NV a tad more, the scope and flexibility of F2 is simply amazing. Not the most gripping plot but a game, which gives you space to create a character you want and has systems to react to it.

2. Deus Ex - while for the most part i would put it into Immersive Sim[/b] genre, the clever reactivity of the first 1/4 of the game is a glimpse of what RPGs could have been - a game with wide range of skills, implimented in a more physical way than dice rolls, with game choices being organically made through gameplay. If you think you can do it, you probably can, and game has a reaction planned for it. Unfortunately, this incredible design gets flattened as game goes by and your aliegences are being more thrust upon you.

3. Gothic 2 - another glimpse into what could have been. A very Euro jank RPG - incredibly fresh and clever design often paired with subpar execution and awkward implementation. Still, no one does open world like Gothic1&2.

• Like 1

VTM: Bloodlines is one of those games I am constantly returning to, but because I am told it’s really good and I just can’t see it. Maybe it’s a setting which puts me off so much (not a fan of cheesy vampires). I found quests and characters forgettable, and systems unengaging. I started couple playthoughs and I don’t have any specific memories beside crappy combat, one clever character and sucking blood from random people. Oh, and horrible horrible club music.

Hmmm....

1. The Witcher 3

2. Pillars of Eternity (Yeah, took me a while to get into it and fully understand the world, so much lore, but once I did the whole game changed for me)

3. Planescape: Torment

Honourable mentions in no specific order:

Suikoden series

Baldur's Gate series

Neverwinter Nights 2

Fallout 1+2

Edited by Wintermist

I'll just put cRPGs as series.

1. Baldur's Gate Series
  2. Planescape Torment
  3. Arcanum
  4. Gothic / Risen series
  5. Fallout Series (including NV of the new ones)
  6. NWN II
  7. Geneforge Series
  8. Pillars
  9. Avernum Series

Honorable Hybrids:

Diablo, FF6/7, Chronotrigger, STALKER, Terranigma, Deus Ex, VTMB.

Edited by anameforobsidian

Quite difficult to choose tbh. But if I must pick 3...

1. Neverwinter Nights (my childhood favourite, 4 years active in the community, game's lifespan was fairly long due to awesome editor)

2. Mass Effect 2-3

3. Icewind Dale 2

I missed out on Planescape: Torment, Morrowind and BG 2 unfortunately.

Other RPGs I love in no particular order:

- Skyrim (heavily modded)

- Icewind dale

- Neverwinter Nights 2 (especially the first expansion of it)

- Baldur's Gate

- PoE (obviously)

- Dragon Age 1-3 (yes, even DA 2, despite its atrocities)

- Fallout 3, NV, 4

- Oblivion

- Witcher 2-3 (especially 3)

Edited by Vaneglorious

Best thing is still DMing 8hour sessions D&D for my friends.

If you're asking cRPGs, darn there are so many to choose from. I'll try.

1. BG 2

2. Gothic Series (no Risen)

3. Vampire Bloodlines

4. PoE

5. Deus Ex (original)

6. BG 1 (incl SoD)

7. Witcher 3

8. IWD 1+2

9. NWN 2

10. Morrowind

11. Witcher 1

still trying to get into Shadowrun, but somehow it just doesn't grab my attention. Same goes for Planescape Torment strangely.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread makes me feel old. Where's the mentions of RPGs on Super Nintendo???  :no:

1. Baldur's Gate II

2. Pillars of Eternity

3. Terranigma

i mentioned chrono trigger not really similar to POE but a game that stuck with me for sure.

Edited by draego

This is including all DLC / expansions:

1. Fallout: New Vegas -- Probably my all-time favorite CRPG. Great world design, great quest design, great faction design, unequaled sense of exploration, awesome story, interesting companions, great character system, well-paced progression (with jsawyer mod)... The only weak spot is its combat, and even that can have its extremely satisfying moments.
  2. Baldur's Gate -- I prefer it to BG2 because I prefer low to mid-level D&D adventures and BG absolutely nails that. I also think its world design is much better, with a cohesive, semi-open world that feels realistic (like an actual region) and provides a great sense of exploration due to the way the areas are actually directly connected to one another. Itemization is clever and extremely well-paced (scarcity of magic items combined with the iron crisis affecting the durability of normal weapons makes magic loot feel special and powerful), and I also vastly prefer its more realistic graphics style / aesthetic, from locations, characters and gear, down to the portraits and paper dolls.
  3. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. This might be me jumping the gun... but Deadfire basically combines what I enjoyed most about BG and F:NV and, as such, it shouldn't be a surprise that I'm having an absolute blast with it. Now, while it is already great, it isn't 100% "there" yet -- so this ranking is, admittedly, influenced by the potential of what it can be in a year or two from now -- but with the difficulty tweaks coming in a few weeks, more fixes and improvements already confirmed down the line, and a very strong track record in terms of improving and iterating on PoE1, I feel confident Deadfire will go from great to all-time classic for me.

Honorable mentions:

• Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
  • Fallout
  • Icewind Dale -- All-time favorite dungeon crawler.
  • Neverwinter Nights
  • Neverwinter Nights 2
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut
  • Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

Gothic 2 : it's the closest thing to a flawless RPG.

Mass Effect Triology: I just love the universe more than any other

Fallout New Vegas: It's a buggy nearly unplayable masterpiece that defines the the word Action CRPG for me.

Other great RPGs:

Divinity OS 2; Have only played it once but I bellive it's one of the best

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines: bad combat but amazing role-playing

Dragon Age Origins: It was my first CRPG: fun combat and incredible role-playing

1/ Baldur's Gate Serie without any doubts

2/ Witcher Serie 

3/ Planescape Torment

4/ Pillars of Eternity 1

5/ Final Fantasy VII et IX

6/ NWN 2

7/ KOTOR 2

8/ Skyrim with a lot of Mods

9/ Dragon age Origin

10/ Deux Ex

Edited by DaKatarn

My 3 favourite RPG's of all time? So hard to choose!

1. Dragon Age Origins - Has a cookiecutter plot, but engaging setting, characters and villain. Probably the best written BioWare game, since BG:II. Also like the gameplay, a lot.

2. The Witcher II - Great choice/consequence, best gameplay of the series and not open world! Main issue is that the game is sort of ruined by TW3 seeing as non of the choices has an impact on TW3's plot. No Iorveth, Saskia and so on.

3. Fallout: New Vegas - a lot of games could fight for this 3rd spot, but there is something special about New Vegas that makes me replay it a lot. Lots of flavour filled dialogue, multiple endings that matter, great DLC. I wish the game had more time in development to flesh it more out and just make it a better game. Mods do fix some of my issues with it, plus Willow!

Honorable mentions - Baldurs Gate II - The Witcher/The Witcher 3 - Pillars of Eternity - NWN/NWN 2 - Divinity Original Sin/Sin 2 - The Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2.

Moved to Computer & Console because it's more general gaming discussion. :)

Whoa whoa, this isn't the Wild West. We have rules in C&C, and when you are asked to list your top 3 rpg's, you stop at 3!

1. Quest for Glory

2. Jagged Alliance 2

3. Fallout

• Like 4

I don't think there is a 'perfect' RPG..honestly . I think they all have their flaws...one way or another . 

That said , my pick is based on Story that make you remember it forever and ever . And what's an RPG without a story huh ? 

1- Planescape Torment (have yet to find something like that ) 

2- Kotor 2 (Sooo goooood) 

3- Neverwinter Night 1 (Original Campaign ) 

4- Baldur's Gate 2 Shadow Of Amn 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller