Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

List of Subclasses as we learn about them.

Subclasses Sub-classes

• Please log in to reply
608 replies to this topic

morhilane

morhilane

Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1131 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

But is confirmed that you gain only 1 spell on lvl up? Maybe it can just be like chiper powers in poe1: you alternate by choosing 1 or 2 new powers every level. In that case the problem would have been much more mitigated.

Edit: moreover in poe 1 there was a lot of "extra x lvl spell" talent, maybe there will be something like that to spice up the mixture

This table and video shown in the multiclass II update and a few of Josh's explanations to building a battlemage on his tumblr extremely suggest it.

Spells share the same UI and share the +1 per level class ability cost at level up with class talents (and going by the battlemage example, general talents as well, because I do not believe Weapon&Shield is exclusive to the Fighter).

That means you can have a max of 20 spells for single classed or 27 for certain multiclassed combo, if you do not take a single talent. 

Take the Monk/Wizard in the multiclass video: it has 6 monk abilities and 16 spells, so a total of 22 visible class abilities. The top spell level is 7th, that means the character is level 19th or 20th. Wizard have grimoires that add spells (only 4 I believe?).

Monk/Wizard without grimoire: 6 +16 = 22, (4)5 other talents were taken

Monk/Wizard with grimoire: 6 + 12= 18, (6)7 other talents were taken

Cast per spell level was reduced to 2 too, so a max level multiclassed character will be able to cast 14 spells per encounter, while a pure class will be able to use 18.

Edited by morhilane, 23 September 2017 - 04:35 AM.

• MaxQuest likes this

Heijoushin

Heijoushin

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1323 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

This thread can now be updated with all the wizard and monk subclasses (recently revealed in the video).

I thought the Transmuter wizard class was particularly interesting. You can turn into an orge! That sounds like a fun ability for a low level wizard. 

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3366 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Not just Wizard and monk, the update contains a list of all subclasses along with brief descriptions.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15232 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I really hope that the ogre levels with you, can profit from self buffs like Martial Power and maybe even retains the weapons (armor and headgear might be suicidal ;)). Otherwise it would only be a nice gimmik at game start and then it would be moot. Like the ranger's pet and druid's spiritshift were in PoE1 until they patched them.

Cool builds you could do if that ogre form was implemented properly: Ogre/monk, ogre/barb, ogre/beckoner (having your own ogre clan) even ogre/shapeshifter. :) Awesome idea to give the Transmuter this ability. Hopefully it's not poorly done. But will will have the beta to test this...

Edited by Boeroer, 23 September 2017 - 11:33 PM.

Climhazzard

Climhazzard

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 866 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

https://eternity.obs...lassing-part-ii

• Helwalker - Begin all combats with Wounds, gain Might for every Wound. Wounds require more damage to acquire.

I feel like Helwalker like this would be the go to multi class option for passive builds, retaliation, chanter burning, whatever, if it stays like this.

With all these options for sub classes and multi classing I'll probably never be able to finish this game because I'll be stuck in an infinite rerolling loop to try out different combinations.

Edited by Climhazzard, 23 September 2017 - 11:52 PM.

• Dr <3 likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15232 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Yes, it sounds like a great subclass for a Fire Godlike and to multiclass it with a priest in order to stack the MIG bonus with Aggrandizing Radiance + Minor Avatar, or with a Berserker or Streetfighter.

Edited by Boeroer, 24 September 2017 - 12:05 AM.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5385 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
IIRC from the video the Helwalker also takes extra damage while wounded.
  • JerekKruger and MaxQuest like this

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2434 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Yeap, the Helwalker, Nalpazka and wizard subclasses do appear slightly different in update #40 video in comparison to update's post.

In case of Helwalker - he takes 5% extra damage per wound he has. So that Might bonus comes at a hefty cost.
On the other hand this subclass is not limited to being melee. He can:
- either grab 10 wounds in melee, re-dislocate to backline and use Long Pain
- or be ranged from the start, and get wounds from one of our own AoE; especially provided that there is no longer health limit, and with such MIG he can cast even more potent healing spells (not to say DoTs..)
  • AndreaColombo likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15232 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
But this you can counter with Iron Wheel I guess...?

If there's still Triumph of the Crusaders in the game then he will have no problems... ;)

Edited by Boeroer, 24 September 2017 - 05:41 AM.

• JerekKruger likes this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3366 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

But this you can counter with Iron Wheel I guess...?

Iron Wheel + Fire Godlike + multiclassed to Street Fighter seems like a potentially interesting combination.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15232 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Exactly. Or like I said: priest if the MIG bonus stacks with Minor Avatar. Imagine Shining Beacon with +18 or even +20 MIG.

Dr <3

Dr <3

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1047 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
The only thing i "miss" is that since there is a "reverse monk" ( gain wounds doing dmg) i would have like to see a "reverse chiper" ( gain focus as you get dmg).

Obviusly i'm already thinking about how to adapt the monk retaliation build to deadfire 😁.
  • illathid likes this

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2373 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The only thing i "miss" is that since there is a "reverse monk" ( gain wounds doing dmg) i would have like to see a "reverse chiper" ( gain focus as you get dmg).

Obviusly i'm already thinking about how to adapt the monk retaliation build to deadfire .

Which would particularly synergize with melee pain link builds. Could be too strong.

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2434 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
https://jesawyer.tum...etter-than-base

Ascendants’ effective Power Level is lower when they aren’t at Max Focus. So if you want to use any power when you aren’t maxed out, it’s strictly worse than if it were used by a pure cipher.

Surprise...

morhilane

morhilane

Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1131 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

https://jesawyer.tum...etter-than-base

Ascendants’ effective Power Level is lower when they aren’t at Max Focus. So if you want to use any power when you aren’t maxed out, it’s strictly worse than if it were used by a pure cipher.

Surprise...

It's like the last update wasn't up-to-date. So many stuff missing from the sub-class one liners.

I'm starting to think that the Darcozzi Paladini are really 3 level behind* everyone else all the time for a pitiful Fire Shield on Lay on Hand at this point (I was speculating that it was just their zeal resource that was lower and not their power level).

On top of it, it is starting to look like the Wizard specializations don't have enough negatives for their positives. They get to keep casting their specialized spells at 3 level higher (Empowered) all the time at no cost. The school restrictions just limit how you can use the specialized Wizards, not their effectiveness.

All that tells me is that the "power level" effectiveness increase is going to be marginal, otherwise all the subclass with lower power level most of the time are going to be dead ends (and we know Josh doesn't like dead ends).

*-1 power level = -2/-3 class level depending of the level range, although power level stagnate a bit as your class level up so they are just 1 power level behind all the time.

Edited by morhilane, 30 September 2017 - 04:18 AM.

• MaxQuest likes this

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2434 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It's like the last update wasn't up-to-date. So many stuff missing from the sub-class one liners.

Yeap. This, helwalker's increased incoming damage, and wizard subclass details were not reflected in the text list of update #40.

I'm starting to think that the Darcozzi Paladini are really 3 level behind* everyone else all the time for a pitiful Fire Shield on Lay on Hand at this point (I was speculating that it was just their zeal resource that was lower and not their power level).

Personally I understood it as if their power level remained the same, but the resource pool (max zeal) was lowered.
But now that I re-read it: "Lay on Hands (Flames of Darcozzi Palace) creates a flame shield around the paladin. Lower Zeal power." - I find it ambiguous.

All that tells me is that the "power level" effectiveness increase is going to be marginal, otherwise all the subclass with lower power level most of the time are going to be dead ends (and we know Josh doesn't like dead ends).

The new multi-classing system does not need as aggressive [power-level related scaling] as the previously announced system did, because it's no longer possible to dip into another class.
Having +1 power level could as well increase the damage by just 5-10%.
We will need to know the exact numbers in order to make accurate conclusions on balance...

Edited by MaxQuest, 30 September 2017 - 06:05 AM.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5075 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

We've seen mentioned the arcane knight, ghost knight, and goldpact knight. Will there be a knight subclass of fighter? That is, a fighter that follows the chivalric code and is skilled in the weapons and armor of mounted combat.

SaruNi

SaruNi

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 557 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

We've seen mentioned the arcane knight, ghost knight, and goldpact knight. Will there be a knight subclass of fighter? That is, a fighter that follows the chivalric code and is skilled in the weapons and armor of mounted combat.

They've posted all of the subclasses. Goldpact Knight is a Paladin subclass. No "Knight" fighter subclass though.

https://forums.obsid...assing-part-ii/

"Fighter

• Black Jacket - Bonus weapon proficiency, reduced Recovery when switching weapon, but lacks Constant Recovery.
  • Devoted - May only be proficient in a single weapon.  Higher Penetration and crit damage with that weapon. Suffers Accuracy penalty when using other weapons.
  • Unbroken - Bonuses to Engagement and Disengagement Attacks, but lower Stride.
Paladin
  • Bleak Walkers - Flames of Devotion (Remember Rakhan Field) generates black flames and does Corrode damage.  Healing given and received is reduced. - Cannot multiclass with priests of Eothas, Berath, or Skaen.
  • Darcozzi Paladini - Lay on Hands (Flames of Darcozzi Palace) creates a flame shield around the paladin.  Lower Zeal power. - Cannot multiclass with priests of Berath, Magran, or Skaen.
  • Goldpact Knights  - Sworn Enemy (Gilded Enmity) creates protective gold armor on the paladin.  Cannot learn Zealous Auras. - Cannot multiclass with priests of Magran or Wael.
  • Kind Wayfarers - Flames of Devotion (Sword and the Shepherd) heals nearby allies.  Does less damage against enemies vulnerable to Sneak Attack. - Cannot multiclass with priests of Berath, Magran, Wael, or Skaen.
  • Shieldbearers of St. Elcga - Lay on Hands (St. Elcga's Grace) prevents the target from being knocked out for a short duration.  Cannot use Lay on Hands on self. - Cannot multiclass with priests of Skaen, Magran, or Wael."

Dr <3

Dr <3

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1047 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Is just me or all paladin orders seem to have bigger disadvantages then bonus?

Bleak walker: bonus dmg vs less heal both given and received --> hope the dmg bonus is good enough

Dracozzi: whimpy fire shield ( one of weakest spells in poe1 ) for a lower possibility to use any ability ( lower zeal) --> bummer

Goldpact: kind of ironskin integrated with sworn enemy vs no auras (no bonus to perception or dr or whatever) --> bummer

Kind wayfarers : aoe heal on fod vs reduced dmg to basically anything, if you are playing with a party. Or you have to micro a lot for chosing on who cast a disable or cast an affliction --> meh

Shielbearers : lay on hands prevents knocking out for a short duration , but you can't use it on self ( so basically you can't use your beast healing on yourself) --> meh

MortyTheGobbo

MortyTheGobbo

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 579 posts

I'm kind of wondering what "Stride" means. Is it just movement speed? That would be a weird way of phrasing it. So it might be a new thing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Subclasses, Sub-classes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users