List of Subclasses as we learn about them.

Well - why not?  Better than having no throwing weapons at all.

And it's a good compromise between the "how can you carry unlimited amounts of throwing weapons with you" guys and the "why can't I throw that spear" dudes.

The main reason for my approach is that it would be really easy to implement it - without figuring out a whole new class of weapons and talents and abilities and all the stuff that comes with that...

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I am kind of bummed that it sounds like they are not going to have any new weapon types at all (outside of 1 new gun type weapon)..  Not like we needed more, there are just more types that could be added and it would be fun.

I'm not aware of there being one new gun type weapon. Though the gun types could use a new one, and it could be explained off as being a relatively new development in the Deadfire that hasn't spread beyond the Deadfire and wasn't available five years prior.

To be fair though, adding new types would just mean more work for the devs and if they add one new type, they'd have to add at least two more (if it was melee) types to balance it out in the other two weapon speeds.

Implements and pistols as far as I know. Maybe they also said blunderbusses? Can't remember... I think... yes, blunderbusses, too. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I am kind of bummed that it sounds like they are not going to have any new weapon types at all (outside of 1 new gun type weapon).. Not like we needed more, there are just more types that could be added and it would be fun.

I'm not aware of there being one new gun type weapon. Though the gun types could use a new one, and it could be explained off as being a relatively new development in the Deadfire that hasn't spread beyond the Deadfire and wasn't available five years prior.

To be fair though, adding new types would just mean more work for the devs and if they add one new type, they'd have to add at least two more (if it was melee) types to balance it out in the other two weapon speeds.

Yeah I am hoping that in the new weapon proficiency setup will add a lot of "new-ness" to the existing weapon types. From what I've heard each proficiency tier actually adds something akin to talents and abilities as opposed to a simple accuracy and damage buff for each tier

We'll get a mortar. That's the new gun type.

A handheld cannon then.

^ Btw, what types of ranged weapons will we be able to dual-wield?

Implements and pistols as far as I know. Maybe they also said blunderbusses? Can't remember... I think... yes, blunderbusses, too. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Realistically? Implements and pistols.

I said what I remember what was said by Josh and other developers during the Twitch streams - not what seems to be realistic.

Since when are implements that shoot projectiles off their knobs realistic anyway? ;)

They called it a mortar and that Serafen will start with it. I guess it's a small cannon, but I can't remember if it behaves like a blunderbuss (multiple projectiles) or more like an arquebus (single projectile) or even like Powerder Burns (AoE damage). Probably AoE...

Don't ask who Serafan is...  :no:

Edited by Boeroer

So was Blunderbuss and wand combo, mentioned [in the Twitch stream] as an example of some crazier dual wield combos

Quickly looked it up in an older thread. So yes, blunderbusses, too.

Edited by Boeroer

JS: [...] he actually has a little hand mortar. Which should be very fun. He can shoot AoE grenades out of his hand mortar.

So, it's AoE as I thought it was.

I wonder how they'll retcon mortars not showing up in PoE1....

Are you thinking what I am thinking? A full-action ability (like FoD) on a dual-blunderbuss cipher?

Not sure which ability FoD is, can't seem to find it.

Edit: Oh, you mean http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Flames_of_Devotion , but that's Paladin, and so, you'd mean a cipher/paladin multiclass. Also, that's a melee ability, not ranged. In PoE1 it is anyway. edit2: I'm overthinking it here, heh. Not sure which cipher abilities are full-action, going to look. This: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Recall_Agony ? It's not full action in the way FoD is, actually, there doesn't seem to be any that are like FoD. Or I'm misunderstanding full-action as it applies to cipher.

Edited by smjjames

Yeap FoD is Flames of Devotion. But it is not melee only. That is description error.

Also I meant specifically full-action weapon abilities (or to be more precise: full-attack). The thing is: the character makes an attack with offhand, skips it's recovery and makes an attack with mainhand.

Plus it was told that reloading wont kick in until you fire with both firearms.

So effectively you skip the recovery and reloading of offhand blunderbuss entirely; and substitute recovery and reloading of mainhand blunderbuss with switch animation (2s or 0.5s with Quick Switch). For a cipher such FoD shot in PoE1 would result in 200-350 dmg burst (non crit) and 109-189 focus in 2.5-4s.

Edited by MaxQuest

I am kind of bummed that it sounds like they are not going to have any new weapon types at all (outside of 1 new gun type weapon)..  Not like we needed more, there are just more types that could be added and it would be fun.

Xoti uses a sickle so there's something.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm disappointed we won't be getting proper thrown weapons, but then, I suppose they'd need to find a whole new niche for them, mechanically speaking. We've already got two kinds of bows, two kinds of crossbows and three (now four) kinds of firearms. They already cover all sorts of bases in ranged combat.

The only people who know the answer to that are the devs. Maybe Rogue or Barbarian will have something based on firearms, given Serafen's base class options.

Unless you've read or heard something somewhere about it that I don't know of.

Edited by smjjames

I'm guessing it's either a musketoon or something like a Sea Service Pattern Brown Bess / Charleville Musket. Though a jezail would be cool too. I wouldn't expect them to go with another pistol type.

Or maybe it will be a hand cannon...

Well, Boeroer's quote of Josh Sawyer has him calling it a hand mortar.

JS: [...] he actually has a little hand mortar. Which should be very fun. He can shoot AoE grenades out of his hand mortar.

So, it's AoE as I thought it was.

Also, from the pictures on the wiki page, hand mortars were a pretty diverse bunch, from ones with a short barrel to ones that could be mistaken for a blunderbuss or an arquebus.

Edited by smjjames