List of Subclasses as we learn about them.

They have already confirmed in a stream that different priests have different spells.  Like I said, a Priest of Magran will have different spells than a Priest of Wael.  I doubt they will have different talents.  I expect it works pretty similarly for Paladin Orders.

Well both Paladins and Priests get unique talents according to their Order/Deity in Pillars, so I wouldn't be surprised if that remains the case in Deadfire.

I hope they get tweaked a tiny bit to be a bit more set apart from each other.

• Like 2

But for priests and paladins...

They got Gods and Orders as their respective subclasses.

I don't think it works like that.  I think the subclasses are more specific, and your order or faith just as an overall effect on your character.  Like  Priest of Magran may get some spells that a Priest of Wael doesn't, but the same is true in reverse.  However, there is nothing mechanically different about them outside some differences in spell selection.  They are both still just "priests".

A blackjacket fighter literally functions differently on a mechanics level than a normal fighter.  They get more weapon slots, they have lower weapon swap times, reduced or possibly no weapon swap penalties, etc etc.

I don't see any mention of "etc etc" and we don't know how much, if any, of that stuff is out-of-the-box, and how much are unlocked abilities/talents which must be selected from the list at level-up.

So I don't really see the subclass being all that different to a standard fighter.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

I'd be interested in a tattooed/scarred mage subclass for wizards that foregoes access to grimoires in favor of internalizing arcane formulae within their own flesh. It'd be able to cast the spells it knows more quickly and finds them easier to concentrate on, but it would lack the versatility of grimoire-based wizards. Granted, wizard animations seem to extensively feature grimoires from what we've seen, but perhaps the developers could use the casting animation from other classes like priests or druids instead for this subclass.

• Like 1

Well both Paladins and Priests get unique talents according to their Order/Deity in Pillars, so I wouldn't be surprised if that remains the case in Deadfire.

True, but at the same time with the classes all being tweaked, and the addition of subclasses, they may want to make unique talents a subclass thing.  I put a question in the twitter pile for it so hopefully they offer clarification in todays stream.

• Like 2

True, but at the same time with the classes all being tweaked, and the addition of subclasses, they may want to make unique talents a subclass thing.  I put a question in the twitter pile for it so hopefully they offer clarification in todays stream.

So hate to double post, but they asked my question about paladins and well...

Sawyer basically said Paladin orders ARE the subclasses.  So there will be broad differences.  This also makes me think that there is no such thing as a "straight paladin"  or "straight priest" potentially.  Interestingly he also said priest and paladin multi classing may be restricted.  Like no Bleak Walker priest of Eothas.

Sawyer basically said Paladin orders ARE the subclasses.  So there will be broad differences.  This also makes me think that there is no such thing as a "straight paladin"  or "straight priest" potentially.

I thought this was already known knowledge. I am sure Josh had already stated somewhere (perhaps in a SA post) that orders and deities were the subclasses for Paladins and Priests, and that there would be no vanilla Paladins or Priests i.e. you have to take an order or deity.

Yeah, the Orders/Deities being mandatory subclasses for paladins and priests had been confirmed during the second Q&A (https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/5szojj/link_deadfire_qa_session_2_with_josh_sawyer_8th/ddjr97z/?st=iyzu9ena&sh=a765305e). The mutual exclusivity of certain orders and deities is news, though.

Basing the bans on favored/condemned dispositions sounds like a clean way to approach it, but it does eliminate some combinations that could actually make sense. To reuse an old example of mine, an Eothasian priest multiclassing as a Bleakwalker paladin could easily reflect the priest's growing bitterness and hostility towards a world that persecutes his faith. Granted, a Shieldbearer multiclassing as a Magranite priest doesn't really work conceptually as far as I can see (unless they've abandoned the Shieldbearers altogether) and I can't think of a way in which a Skaenite priest becoming a Kind Wayfarer makes sense either without a similar crisis of faith.

If their concern truly lies with people sabotaging their builds with these choices, though, I don't see why that's a big deal unless they're dumping Untroubled Faith - just have it apply to both classes so they don't need to take it twice.

• 2 weeks later...

Really hoping that the subclasses are a decent deviation from the base class. So far the Ghost Heart class sounds like its the only known one that is a significant difference in concept from its base. Hoping that all subclasses end up being fairly unique from their base when we get real details instead of concepts.

Edited by DigitalCrack

Really hoping that the subclasses are a decent deviation from the base class. So far the Ghost Heart class sounds like its the only known one that is a significant difference in concept from its base. Hoping that all subclasses end up being fairly unique from their base when we get real details instead of concepts.

Black Jacket Fighter is a pretty big mechanical difference, imho. It brings a pretty huge and new mechanic to the class.

Druids are getting a subclass that focuses on shapeshifting.  Black Jackets are going to have an extremely interesting mechanic that makes them more interesting than base fighters (IMO) anyway.  I'm sure we'll get a mixture of subclasses that have minor changes and others that have major changes.  

Edited by Bill Gates' Son

I think its mostly just cause its still in concept so with black jacket it could certainly be very cool but just doesnt sound like its that big will need to see it in action before judging that one. the druggy monk is blah though and summoner chanter sounds blah without any hints to the mechanics surrounding it

• 3 weeks later...

From the last Twitch stream:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/92027-deadfire-qa-twitch-stream-with-josh-sawyer-and-lead-artist-kaz-aruga/?p=1900852

Josh confirmed that there will be a Druid Shapeshifter subclass, where you can be in your shapeshift form for the entire length of any combat encounter. Great news! :)

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

about druids: I thought about a druid/mage. Those mage self buffs that give +acc, +def and I think some even added stats while being shapeshifted.

about priests/paladins: I think that those get their power from their own faith, not directly from a god. So a priest without god might be possible in the PoE setting.

We could have a nihilist priest who can dispell a target (removing all positive and negative status effects) or use a spell that prevents the target from getting any status effect (positive and negative) for some time.He can also cause the "demotivated" debuff on enemies. Their attacks get weaker because they realize that nothing they do has any meaning.

There are already some godless priests in games (Fall From Grace in PST, Zhajive in NWN2, . . . )