List of Subclasses as we learn about them.

Right. I like a petless ranger IF he/she gets other talents/abilites to make up for the loss of the permanent companion and its abilites.

Boooo petless ranger  :no:. I am sure this will become the default ranger build for most but i just cant. Maybe the other ranger sub has even better pet ability probably more likely double down on ranged attack. I actually have been running my ranger in melee recently in POE1 and i like that better. Here's to hoping the sub has some ability that is not ranged specific only.

got to figure one sub-class focusing on empowering the ranger, while the other his pet., seeing as that dynamic is the class core. Otherwise, it's a decision between ranged/melee, which seems to stray from the class a bit.

but who knows.

Right. I like a petless ranger IF he/she gets other talents/abilites to make up for the loss of the permanent companion and its abilites.

Boooo petless ranger  :no:. I am sure this will become the default ranger build for most but i just cant. Maybe the other ranger sub has even better pet ability probably more likely double down on ranged attack. I actually have been running my ranger in melee recently in POE1 and i like that better. Here's to hoping the sub has some ability that is not ranged specific only.

got to figure one sub-class focusing on empowering the ranger, while the other his pet., seeing as that dynamic is the class core. Otherwise, it's a decision between ranged/melee, which seems to stray from the class a bit.

but who knows.

The ability to focus on the ranger or her pet is already present in the class. Look at the Black Jacket---switching weapons during combat to match different opponents isn't the "class core". And fighter isn't primarily a DPS class. Same goes for the Monk taking drugs to buff himself... or the Ranger summoning an undead being. So, with the exception of Assassin, the subclasses are *about* straying from the ordinary, stereotypical class "core", at expense of some of the class's core advantages (that Fighters have high accuracy, that Rangers have a summons they can use at the start of combat, Monks using wounds for special abilities). Subclasses let us do things the "core" class doesn't. And I like that. (Look at the most liked subclasses / kits from other games. Are they the boring, obvious ones that weren't even necessary, that added no color or flavor or interest to the base class? I don't think so.)

What I wonder the most - and that really surprises me: what will the other fighter subclass be? It surprises me because usually fighter was not really my favorite class in PoE. But since I heard from the Black Jacket I really wonder what they come up with for the other subclass. A ranged fighter? A pitfighter? A bodyguard? 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

What I wonder the most - and that really surprises me: what will the other fighter subclass be? It surprises me because usually fighter was not really my favorite class in PoE. But since I heard from the Black Jacket I really wonder what they come up with for the other subclass. A ranged fighter? A pitfighter? A bodyguard? 

My guess is it'll be something defensively orientated, though what exactly: I have no idea. I am hopeful that, like the Black Jacket, it'll be something a bit unusual i.e. it won't just be a Fighter who gets +2DR when wearing armour or +8 Deflection when using a Shield. 

I think it would be cool if Ciphers got a really strong "Off tank" or even "main taink" sub-class.

​Basically "soul-link" yourself to an enemy. Which is like a very powerful engage. Which shares damage you take with the enemy. Which means the enemy hurts themselves while hurting you. Plus friendly-fire that you take hurts the enemy as well. Obviously this needs some trade-offs against the Ciphers own DPS. But it could be a really cool melee variant.

​Then maybe there could be a ranged focused sub-class for ciphers. Though I don't have any ideas on what could be done there.

I think it would be cool if Ciphers got a really strong "Off tank" or even "main taink" sub-class.

​Basically "soul-link" yourself to an enemy. Which is like a very powerful engage. Which shares damage you take with the enemy. Which means the enemy hurts themselves while hurting you. Plus friendly-fire that you take hurts the enemy as well. Obviously this needs some trade-offs against the Ciphers own DPS. But it could be a really cool melee variant.

​Then maybe there could be a ranged focused sub-class for ciphers. Though I don't have any ideas on what could be done there.

There's no penalty for using ranged weapons while engaged in melee. So while a tanky ranged character can't engage enemies, he can go ahead of the rest of the party and let enemies engage him (as well as target him with ranged attacks and special abilities). And the ranged attacks could be directed at enemy spellcasters/ranged, who are likely to be easier to damage (and build focus) against anyway. So the main drawbacks would be not using a shield while attacking with your ranged weapon, and not being able to easily intercept enemies headed towards your squishies (though if they engage you and then try to leave engagement they should get hit by a disengagement attack). But you'd still have strong cipher debuffs/disabling spells....

need expand the list to 3 per.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Any thoughts on class-killer subclasses?

I'm thinking sort of along the lines of an Arcanopath Monk, for example.

https://dndtools.net/classes/arcanopath-monk/

Where one can specialize a class in order to specifically be a class counter to another class/subclass?

It would require a ton of work for the team, but might be pretty interesting...

A pretty straightforward way of doing it would just be to take every class and designate another class (or two) as the 'opposing class', then make one subclass have some useful tools/skills/resistances/etc against that/those opposing class(es)..

thoughts?

-tid242

Where one can specialize a class in order to specifically be a class counter to another class/subclass?

A pretty straightforward way of doing it would just be to take every class and designate another class (or two) as the 'opposing class', then make one subclass have some useful tools/skills/resistances/etc against that/those opposing class(es)..

thoughts?

-tid242

In past games these have been really underwhelming (Wizard Slayer from Baldur's Gate, etc.) and they don't seem all that interesting tbh... especially since party size will be decreased by 1. Though they might be less limited with multiclassing....

It would be better to do using talents than whole subclasses (talent could be limited to the "opposing" class or subclass). I'd strongly prefer something more interesting for subclasses....

thoughts?

-tid242

Too often the class is too specialized to be useful. It would be great for certain encounters, but if you're not fighting that class the character isn't going to be very useful. Personally I'd end up skipping it and picking a subclas or the vanilla for more general utility.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I think more kits sounds pretty fun.  Level change, sure whatever.  I wasn't hurting for levels in Pillars, I honestly wished they were slower.  I hope the content matches the level pace.

BTW, has anyone else noticed that the stretchgoals actually have an image behind them and not a weird pattern.  I wonder if it will be Berath vs. Eothas given this and other hints.

Edited by anameforobsidian

Well then, we might not reach it, but it's an exciting possibility. More choices? Sign me up.

I think I'll take this opportunity to restate my hope for a Cipher sub-class more concentrated on the pure psionics/psychokinetic fantasy, with no need to generate resources via a physical weapon (though, obviously, still needing to manage resources somehow, through some other means - more tied to the stated fantasy). Obviously the other sub-classes could go another way, but, I'd dearly like to see that sort of pure 'mind mage' focus. My draw to the class is the fantasy, not the auto attacking with my weapon to generate resources, but I know people's tastes vary, so I'd never ask that be a core class change. As much as I like the fantasy of a pure psionics/psychokinetic cipher, I also like choice, options, things for others as well as myself (and even if not for myself).

Edited by grumpymoose
  • Like 1

I cannot forget the follies and vices of others so soon as I ought, nor their offenses against myself.

My feelings are not puffed about with every attempt to move them. My temper would

perhaps be called resentful. My good opinion once lost is lost forever.”

- Pride and Prejudice

Looking at the op, no news on Paladin subclasses yet. Would be cool if there if there was one similar to the Cavalier. :biggrin:

I believe that it has been stated that Paladin subclasses will be their Order. It had also been stated that they weren't planning to add more orders, but perhaps the $2.8M stretch will include some new ones.

I am glad that priests and paladins don't get much of additional stuff with subclasses. Always felt unfair that they can get several variations while other characters had to suffer from much less choice.

You should also note that the nalpacza monks only get improved usage out of drugs, and that their drawback is increased wounding threshold while under the effect of drugs (EDIT), slowing down their accumulation of ressources.

I feel it is fair that priest and paladin don't get more subclasses, but it would be great if their actual content could be expanded a bit.

And it would be great to be able to play priests from ANY of the eleven gods.

• Like 2

I feel it is fair that priest and paladin don't get more subclasses, but it would be great if their actual content could be expanded a bit.

Definitely. Unless subclasses are going to be roughly equivalent to what current Paladin Orders and Priest Deities are, which seems unlikely, I'd like to see each Order and Deity expanded to be equivalent to other classes' subclasses.

And it would be great to be able to play priests from ANY of the eleven gods.

I'd like this too.

• Like 1