Since we are going to have a dynamic weather system in PoEII i was wondering if there was going to be any variance in the severity of the storms and an increased response to the storm by the NPC's.

First would be a hot summers day, where the NPC's may be drinking water or wiping there brow. or maybe even change to keep cool

Second would be the light shower that people may not relay react to, besides farmers might be greatfull for the rain for their crops.

Third would be regular rain, some people move inside and those that are working outside pull up their hoods, or maybe put on a cloak as they said in the FIG video

Forth would be a heavy rain but not dangerous where most people move inside maybe 75% probably to the nearest tavern or inn to weight out the storm with friends and drink.

Fith would be a bad storm with lightning and hale, where everyone moves indoors and make a bee line home and could possibly used for plot devices in certain quests. 

The last would be the huge area changing weather patterns like a tornado spawning super cell, or a hurricane, these I can't think of being random events because they would last in some cases days and change the landscape, which would be cool to see a port town in a massive hurricane, or the swaths of destruction that a tornado causes. But I don't think these super storms would be useful for anything but maybe a third act twist of fate. 

Ah, dear BG1 lightning storms. Jaheira screaming in distress as Khalid gets one-shot by a random bolt from the Gods. Me laughing at the useless berk's misfortune. Good times, good times.

and suddenly an F2 tornado spawns and sucks up the dragon, nature gets 20000xp

• Like 1

Wait, I played BG1 through loads of times and don't recall thunder storms firing random bolts that could actually hit characters. Did I miss out on this completely?

Afraid so. In BG1 if you wore metal armor there was a chance lightning could strike you during a storm. Very cool stuff.

• Like 5

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

We do have variable weather storms (light rain/heavy rain), that does include lightening too. Hurricanes and tornadoes were discussed, but it's very hard to do fierce storms in a procedural way.

Cool! Do these storms have any mechanical effects on characters? And will lightning ever strike characters like in BG? ;)

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

We do have variable weather storms (light rain/heavy rain), that does include lightening too. Hurricanes and tornadoes were discussed, but it's very hard to do fierce storms in a procedural way.

Cool! Do these storms have any mechanical effects on characters? And will lightning ever strike characters like in BG? ;)

We've discussed it, and it's possible, but nothing is set in stone yet. We do have the power to add/remove status effects based on weather conditions.

• Like 7

Follow me on twitter - @adam_brennecke

We've discussed it, and it's possible, but nothing is set in stone yet. We do have the power to add/remove status effects based on weather conditions.

If you do include the ability for lightning to strike characters please include an option to turn it off. It's a cool and funny option, but I suspect the novelty will eventually wear off and having to reload periodically will grow tiresome :)

Afraid so. In BG1 if you wore metal armor there was a chance lightning could strike you during a storm. Very cool stuff.

Hah! That's pretty cool. I mean it's obviously an instant reload, but still.

Not if the lightning bolt hit Khalid like TrueNuetral said.

Specifically to respond to Adam.... not sure lightning should be killing us this time, but I think status effects from certain weather conditions would be pretty nice.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 3

Not if the lightning bolt hit Khalid like TrueNuetral said.

Harsh, but fair.

I don't know if it was observation bias, but it always seemed like Khalid was the only character in BG1 to ever lose his morale. Given his personality, I always wondered whether there was a hidden penalty to his morale that made this happen more often.

• Like 1

"Brave, Brave Sir Garrick; Sir Garrick ran away"

"Better part of valour! Better part of valour!"

• Like 4

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Aside from potential detrimental effects of storms/weather, if that makes it in game, there could also be other beneficial effects like the Wizard not having to use Empower with Lightning spells if there's a heavy rainstorm and that character naturally gets the Empowered effect while casting in such weather... of course their enemies should too. ;)

Yeah really.  My man Xan hated life, and bitched up a storm.... but he never ran in the middle of the fight like a crazy sissy pants.

• Like 4

Yeah really.  My man Xan hated life, and bitched up a storm.... but he never ran in the middle of the fight like a crazy sissy pants.

What's the use of running? We're all doomed.

• Like 4

When we are indoors during a Storm are we still going to hear the rain and see the lighting in the windows? Maybe even see a few leeks in the roof causing puddles or NPC's putting a pot under the leek.