Backing a "Black Isle" for the Deadfire Archipelago

Would you back to crowd fund a "Black Isle" in the Deadfire Archipelago?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Would you back to crowd fund a "Black Isle" in the Deadfire Archipelago?

• yes
    • no
    • other (please specify)

So, there were quite a lot of "yes" votes on this poll.

I would just like to inform everybody who was in support of this, that Obsidian has decided to give us a Black Isle for free:

grbHRno.png

So now we are going to pursue crowd funding the Black Isle Bastards a pirate crew that is associated with the Black Isle!

Obsidian supports our project, if you'd like to know more about it, check it out here.

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 7

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

One would think that Obsidian themselves already have thought about including an actual "Black Isle" in the game.

Voted Yes, in any case.

Would have to wait until PayPal is up though.

Edited by Hemmer

Also given that the Deadfire archipelago is volcanically active, a recently created volcanic island that is literally made of black rock makes sense.

It could be made of obsidian... just saying... ;)

• Like 2

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

It could be made of obsidian... just saying... ;)

Is that why Obsidian are named Obsidian?

"The translation into English of Natural History written by Pliny the Elder of Rome shows a few sentences on the subject of a volcanic glass called Obsian, so named from its resemblance to a stone (obsiānus lapis) found in Ethiopia by Obsius, a Roman explorer."

Source

Ah I misunderstood. You would like to know why Obsidian Entertainment is called that way. I dunno^^

I mean, yes, because of Obsidian, I guess. But I don't know the reason WHY they chose that name.

Edited by Fluffle

Oh sorry, I should have been clearer, I was wondering whether Obsidian picked their name as a tribute to Black Isle, since the Black Isle might have been made from Obsidian.

I asked Faergus on the Fig campaign:

Question: "The question has come up why Obsidian Entertainment is named the way it is. It may be a far stretch but may one reason be that a black isle (volcanic isle) could consist of obsidian...?"

Answer by Faergus: ":) When we were starting Obsidian in 2003, we came up with a lot of names - "Scortched Earth", "Three Clown Software", etc.. One of those names was Obsidian, and it was the one that our significant others (wives and girlfriends) said was the least lame one. :) We also like it because it was a black rock, so there was that reference to Black Isle. Black Isle being the homeland of the Urquharts...."

• Like 3

I'd throw in a few bucks as well for this idea, sounds neat

I would too, but like IndiraLightFoot says, it's so good, so either Obsidian already is doing something like it or thought in those ways, or those who backed the Island tier are already on it.

Well we do know one group who is crowd funding an island, see here.

To me, it doesn't look like they're going to make a "Black Isle".

That leaves Obsidian themselves and the other Island backer group (if that also is a group which I'd assume).

• Like 1

Should for some reason one of the backers for the island tiers cancel that pledge and you see a free island tier slot then I beg you, GRAB IT ASAP.

Or should Obsidian decide to make a new free island slot, no matter the cost, GRAB IT ASAP.

You can then later on hand it over to me and I will make this work as crowdfunding (in case you don't want to).

Edited by Fluffle

Unless you all get more people.

Everyone would need to donate a lot more than $8 each in order to get the island.

Okay, fair point.

To those who have voted "yes", how much would you be ready to donate for an actual "Black Isle" ?

Kind of a non question because there is no island to back for.  I agree with Osvir, the best bet would be to get involved with one of the communities who already grabbed an island.

Yes you are right, there is no island to back for and I said so in the opening post. Nonetheless, I wanted to know if there was interest in such an island, and I had hoped that if we got a lot support, like A LOT SUPPORT for it, then maybe Obsidian would have considered at one point opening a new island slot.

Concerning the suggestion of getting in touch with one of the other communities. Well I tried.

The thing is it is not easy to register on NeoGAF.

If anyone has an account there, please let me know. They do not accept free email providers. And as I have heard on the Internet it can take weeks to be accepted by the administrator of NeoGAF. But if anyone knows how to contact them more easily, let me know.

Or if anyone knows the backer of the other island.

Edited by Fluffle

One would think that Obsidian themselves already have thought about including an actual "Black Isle" in the game.

Voted Yes, in any case.

You would be correct. However, we designers scrap ideas almost as fast as we think them up. I would be more than happy to do so if the community wants to back a "Black Isle". You have my word that your Black Isle, will be the only Black Isle. :thumbsup: 

-B

• Like 11

Voted Yes, in any case.

You would be correct. However, we designers scrap ideas almost as fast as we think them up. I would be more than happy to do so if the community wants to back a "Black Isle". You have my word that your Black Isle, will be the only Black Isle. :thumbsup:

-B

Okay, just so that I do not misinterpret. This is no green light for a "Black Isle" yet, right?

You only express that you would support a "Black Isle" if it ever came to that, correct?

The team hasn't made a decision yet, right?

I am just extremely careful to not get my hopes up too easily and too early ^^

Yet it is encouraging that someone of the team would support a "Black Isle".

Edited by Fluffle

You have my word that your Black Isle, will be the only Black Isle. :thumbsup: 

-B

Okay until I hear again from the developers on this matter I will go crazy pondering about why Bobby said "will" in this sentence and not "would".