Backing a "Black Isle" for the Deadfire Archipelago

Would you back to crowd fund a "Black Isle" in the Deadfire Archipelago?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Would you back to crowd fund a "Black Isle" in the Deadfire Archipelago?

• yes
    • no
    • other (please specify)

thanks aarik.

ok, this is gonna sound sarcastic, and it kinda is, but can anybody think o' a reason we would want less than the maximum o' eight npcs?

am gonna make suggestion o' five o' the eight being a pirate crew.

also, am submitting earlier suggestions, but, y'know, on an island instead o' a ship.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/91277-lets-found-a-pirate-group-and-buy-a-pirate-ship-together/?p=1878062

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

This is truly amazing! Thank you so much Aarik and the entire team!!!

• Like 4

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Great news! Because you guys are so amazing, we're going to do the island for the community! No need to back a tier or anything. You guys have supported us through out these years and we wanted to give back. The team will have full control of the Black Isle but are open to suggestions. Keep in mind that this may be a small sized island, so there wouldn't be a bustling town or anything to that scale. It'll have 4-8 NPCs max.

Nice! Thank you. :)

I read that the company name was based on Black Isle, Scotland. Perhaps then it could have an old abandoned castle?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Great news! Because you guys are so amazing, we're going to do the island for the community! No need to back a tier or anything. You guys have supported us through out these years and we wanted to give back. The team will have full control of the Black Isle but are open to suggestions. Keep in mind that this may be a small sized island, so there wouldn't be a bustling town or anything to that scale. It'll have 4-8 NPCs max.

Nice! Thank you. :)

I read that the company name was based on Black Isle, Scotland. Perhaps then it could have an old abandoned castle?

And a magic portal within called the "Icewind Gate of Torment"  :lol:

• Like 1

Awesome news. Offer still stands to make a small contribution financially if needed.

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Obsidian. Proving themselves as the best, fan-oriented developer in the history of game developers once again. If I hadn't already pledged the maximum I can afford this month, I would drop MOAR cash on Deadfire just to reward how amazing they are to their fans :)

• Like 5

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Hey Guys,

However, if you want to incorporate something with the island, such as the NPC tier, or the Pirate Crew, that is definitely something we can work with you guys on. For example, you could encounter the Black Isle Bastards on the way to the Black Isle, or they can be chilling on the island, within reason. 

very-small-island-Maldives-1920x1080.jpg

Perhaps the island could contain nods to various BI games? Some examples:

• Fallout: Adra powered armor? The GECK (one time consumable which summons a bunch of plant monsters)? A two-headed animal? The Maltese Falcon bar (recall the very last line in FO2 credits)?
  • Torment: An incarnation of Ravel Puzzlewell? The Bronze Sphere? Divine letters B and I? 
  • Baldur's Gate: Boo? A hidden treasure chest with Golden Pantaloons? An NPC who really wants to romance the Watcher (but all options given are "no")?  :p

Pretty sure Black Isle/Obs didn't work on Baldurs gate :) ice wind dale would be cool though. Perhaps a soul bound weapon referencing Cera Sumat... out of every rpg game the quest for the blade was the by far the most epic and memorable. The story still gives me shivers.

"6 now silenced."Awesome stuff.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Pretty sure Black Isle/Obs didn't work on Baldurs gate :)

... looking over development and giving ideas.

Just what any good publisher would do, right? :p

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Obsidian. Proving themselves as the best, fan-oriented developer in the history of game developers once again. If I hadn't already pledged the maximum I can afford this month, I would drop MOAR cash on Deadfire just to reward how amazing they are to their fans :)

​No kidding.

• Like 1

Hmmm... I backed the Item Creation tier. I may just see about making it relevant to and seeing about placing it on this island if they allow me to. Thanks Aarik!

If anyone backed a pirate crew, or whatever else is relevant and wants to tie it to the island. Let me know and perhaps a collaboration is in order. If I had the money available to back the pirate crew I probably would, but I won't by the time the campaign ends unfortunately.

• Like 3

Isla Nero in italian

Ile Noir in french

Still Black Isle. And since the characters talk english with fictive in game lingo highlights... its easy to integrate

I'm actually having trouble seeing how a "Black Isle" couldn't fit in somehow. It's about as basic a name as possible, a color describing a geographical feature.

Really? Wouldn't you think the names would depend on the dominant culture in the islands. For example, if this were a French archipelago I would expect l'Île Noire rather than Black Island.

And do you think we or the developers would let that happen?

Let's say just for arguments sake, that all the names of the islands were French indeed. Do you really think we or the developers would then name one island the "Black Isle"?

If you really fear that, then I would like to assure you that I would talk to the developers how to adjust the name "Black Isle" to best fit in the game world of Deadfire.

Hey Guys,

However, if you want to incorporate something with the island, such as the NPC tier, or the Pirate Crew, that is definitely something we can work with you guys on. For example, you could encounter the Black Isle Bastards on the way to the Black Isle, or they can be chilling on the island, within reason. 

Holy ****. That's awesome! Thanks so much!

Guess I'm putting my money towards the Bastard crew instead!  :yes: 

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

What a wonderful gesture! You guys over at Obsidian rock! :)

• Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Hmmm... I backed the Item Creation tier. I may just see about making it relevant to and seeing about placing it on this island if they allow me to. Thanks Aarik!

If anyone backed a pirate crew, or whatever else is relevant and wants to tie it to the island. Let me know and perhaps a collaboration is in order. If I had the money available to back the pirate crew I probably would, but I won't by the time the campaign ends unfortunately.

Fluffle is currently collecting funds for the Black Isle Bastards pirate crew + ship (independently from the forum badge). If we reach 5000$ we can place it on the Black Isle. I'm sure your item can be merged with all this stuff. Even if the pirate crew won't be a success I'm pretty sure OBS can put your item on the Black Isle.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Fluffle is currently collecting funds for the Black Isle Bastards pirate crew + ship (independently from the forum badge). If we reach 5000$ we can place it on the Black Isle. I'm sure your item can be merged with all this stuff. Even if the pirate crew won't be a success I'm pretty sure OBS can put your item on the Black Isle.
Currently? Where? Edited by Osvir

I will soon add a PayPal Donation offer where we collect the money to fund raise our pirate crew for the Black Isle.

If you'd like to learn more about the pirate crew, check out this thread:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/91277-making-the-black-isle-bastards-come-true-crowd-funding-a-pirate-crew/

Great. Can't wait to throw some money at you. Paypal will keep some of the money you receive, right? As far as I know they will get 1.9% or 95$ from that 5000$.

So actually we will have to collect 5097$ in order to pledge 5000$. Maybe this is not the case though? It's only my experience with Paypal when selling stuff on eBay and getting paid via Paypal.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods