Backing a "Black Isle" for the Deadfire Archipelago

Would you back to crowd fund a "Black Isle" in the Deadfire Archipelago?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Would you back to crowd fund a "Black Isle" in the Deadfire Archipelago?

• yes
    • no
    • other (please specify)

So, Aarik D, if you read this, or any other developer, a question to you:

Would the name "Black Isle" fit into your current plans for the Deadfire Archipelago? Does the name fit the lore of the game?

Edited by Fluffle

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

I think the island wouldn't even have to be called "Black Isle" (although I would like that).

It could be a name that is very reminiscent of "Black Isle" or maybe "Black Isle" translated to one of the ingame languages.

I think there would be many ways to make an island that is a reference to "Black Isle" without naming the island exactly that way.

So in short, I am not set on the name.

And I agree that the most important point of backer made content is consistency with the lore of the game world.

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

I think the island wouldn't even have to be called "Black Isle" (although I would like that).

It could be a name that is very reminiscent of "Black Isle" or maybe "Black Isle" translated to one of the ingame languages.

I think there would be many ways to make an island that is a reference to "Black Isle" without naming the island exactly that way.

So in short, I am not set on the name.

And I agree that the most important point of backer made content is consistency with the lore of the game world.

I'm actually having trouble seeing how a "Black Isle" couldn't fit in somehow. It's about as basic a name as possible, a color describing a geographical feature. 

• Like 4

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

I'm actually having trouble seeing how a "Black Isle" couldn't fit in somehow. It's about as basic a name as possible, a color describing a geographical feature. 

Really? Wouldn't you think the names would depend on the dominant culture in the islands. For example, if this were a French archipelago I would expect l'Île Noire rather than Black Island.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Really? Wouldn't you think the names would depend on the dominant culture in the islands. For example, if this were a French archipelago I would expect l'Île Noire rather than Black Island.

And do you think we or the developers would let that happen?

Let's say just for arguments sake, that all the names of the islands were French indeed. Do you really think we or the developers would then name one island the "Black Isle"?

If you really fear that, then I would like to assure you that I would talk to the developers how to adjust the name "Black Isle" to best fit in the game world of Deadfire.

Sorry all, been busy the last few days. My thoughts in no particular order.

1. I'll admit I didn't realize all the backer islands were filled when I posted.

2. As far as I know, none of the filled backer islands will currently be called The Black Isle. Talked to Adam about this today.

3. It is not out of the question that we open up a new island slot for this request. That said, we limited this to 2 for a reason.

4. Backer content is tricky. Some of our high end backers are fine with a little input on naming a couple things and giving us a little paragraph of the flavor they are looking for and then letting us do our thing, making cool content for them.

5. Other backers, somewhat understandably, think spending large sums of cash on "content" means they should get to design quests, additional scenarios, NPCs, and generally hope for content that is out of scope of what 5,000 dollars actually buys. I read the whole thread (this time) and understand Fluffy's map was for fun, so please don't think I am accusing anyone of anything, just wanted to be clear on how we go about scoping this type of content. 

6. Of course we want our backer(s) to be happy, within reason, for contributing such a sizeable chunk of change to our project, but the reality is that money pays to keep a couple devs employed for a few weeks or so. The input we can realistically implement is of the cosmetic/flavor variety. It is POSSIBLE we add more real estate to a backer island. If it makes sense to add locations, dungeons, quests, points of interest or any other type normal content we create, we will. This would be a developer decision and would be made as the entire game becomes more fleshed out and the full scope of the budget is reevaluated closer to Alpha.

7. The biggest takeaway here is that IF we open another slot, whomever the spokesperson for this group is will need to understand that they will be working directly with me and I will need them to understand the limitations, especially since this would be a new slot our current schedule does not account for.

8. If all of that sounds good, and you would like to proceed, I can talk to Feargus and Adam about opening up a slot when you're ready. I can't promise, but I'm fairly certain I can make that happen.

The ball is in your court.

Thanks for all the support! Hope this helps.

• Like 7

What about testing a subscription based thing? Get enough subscribers (for $10 a month), and it happens (at least 60~70 people), and if not, call it of (would require lots of transparancy)

7) What do you need? Would it be easier if we made a couple of concept islands for you to pick from, with a goodie bag of content to pick from?

Edit: If it fails, we could get to name a pet or something? (Granted we get at least $500)

Edited by Osvir

Dear Bobby,

thank you for your post. The following answer consists of my thoughts only and does not necessarily reflect people's opinions who have voted with "yes" on this poll.

3. It is not out of the question that we open up a new island slot for this request. That said, we limited this to 2 for a reason.

If you did decide to do that, please consider to reserve that island slot for us. If you just open another slot on the Fig campaign it may happen that just somebody else snatches that slot away from us. So if you do decide to add another island slot, then please find some way to reserve that island slot for this community.

4. Backer content is tricky. Some of our high end backers are fine with a little input on naming a couple things and giving us a little paragraph of the flavor they are looking for and then letting us do our thing, making cool content for them.

I am fine with that, too. The most important thing about backer content is, that it fits SEAMLESSLY into the game world and does not break immersion in any way. My idea of this island is as followed: It should be a "Black Isle" reference and maybe a reference to Obsidian Entertainment. The island is supposed to be an homage to Faergus and you guys. And I think you do know best how to do that. Therefore I actually only want to give you very little information on the island.

I am in favor of the name "Black Isle", however you can adjust that to a different name if that would fit better into the game world. The name should still be a "Black Isle" reference though in some way. Personally I imagine a volcano island - this is just a proposal though.The island could consist of volcanic rock, making it black. And the shore of the island could for example consist of obsidian.
Where there is a volcano island, obsidian is not far away ;)

Also I am in favor of the shape of the island as you can see it on the map in the opening post. Because that shape resembles the actual Black Isle in Scotland. Concerning the weather, I would prefer a stormy weather on the island, as you can see in the video in the opening post. These are all just suggestions. If you disagree with all or some of them, then the absolute minimum is this: Make an island that is a "Black Isle" reference.

I would absolutely let you do your thing.

5. Other backers, somewhat understandably, think spending large sums of cash on "content" means they should get to design quests, additional scenarios, NPCs, and generally hope for content that is out of scope of what 5,000 dollars actually buys. I read the whole thread (this time) and understand Fluffy's map was for fun, so please don't think I am accusing anyone of anything, just wanted to be clear on how we go about scoping this type of content.

No, I understand that we do not pay the 5000$ to play designer as one of the other developers (I think it was Aarik) said. But,
if possible, I would let other backer made content be placed on the island. If you agreed to that. And if you thought that that other content would fit the island. That is your decision.

For example if this community also backed a pirate crew, could that pirate crew then be placed upon our island?

Or could the pirate crew use our island as their base of operations?
Or if a backer made an item. Could it be placed on our island?
Or if someone decided they wanted to place their inn on our island, would that be possible?
Or if someone would like to place their NPC on our island, etc etc...

I am just asking if in theory that was possible. You will be the ones who decide if other backer content will be placed on our island.
And if it fits the island in the first place.

8. If all of that sounds good, and you would like to proceed, I can talk to Feargus and Adam about opening up a slot when you're ready. I can't promise, but I'm fairly certain I can make that happen.

There is one matter still, which is the matter of payment. Would it be possible to pay for the island via PayPal?
Because I, or someone else, would collect the crowd funding on PayPal, I assume. And it would be nice if it was possible to directly then pay for the island from PayPal.

Other than that, for me it sounds all good. I think I am quite aware of the limitations. All I would like to see is an island that is a nice "Black Isle" reference . I do have some ideas about it. I bet, many others do so too. But ultimately as I said, you should know best how to make a homage to Black Isle and maybe to Obsidian Entertainment.

So I would like to proceed, but first I would like to read what other people think about this, and especially if they understand the limitations.

So everyone, once again, please keep in mind that my map in the opening post was just for fun and will not reflect the actual island if it comes to that, except maybe for the shape and maybe for a volcano (I hope so :p ) and maybe for the name (hopefully).

Edited by Fluffle

Dear Bobby,

thank you for your post. The following answer consists of my thoughts only and does not necessarily reflect people's opinions who have voted with "yes" on this poll.

If you did decide to do that, please consider to reserve that island slot for us. If you just open another slot on the Fig campaign it may happen that just somebody else snatches that slot away from us. So if you do decide to add another island slot, then please find some way to reserve that island slot for this community.

I am fine with that, too. The most important thing about backer content is, that it fits SEAMLESSLY into the game world and does not break immersion in any way. My idea of this island is as followed: It should be a "Black Isle" reference and maybe a reference to Obsidian Entertainment. The island is supposed to be an homage to Faergus and you guys. And I think you do know best how to do that. Therefore I actually only want to give you very little information on the island.

I am in favor of the name "Black Isle", however you can adjust that to a different name if that would fit better into the game world. The name should still be a "Black Isle" reference though in some way. Personally I imagine a volcano island - this is just a proposal though.The island could consist of volcanic rock, making it black. And the shore of the island could for example consist of obsidian.

Where there is a volcano island, obsidian is not far away ;)

Also I am in favor of the shape of the island as you can see it on the map in the opening post. Because that shape resembles the actual Black Isle in Scotland. Concerning the weather, I would prefer a stormy weather on the island, as you can see in the video in the opening post. These are all just suggestions. If you disagree with all or some of them, then the absolute minimum is this: Make an island that is a "Black Isle" reference.

I would absolutely let you do your thing.

No, I understand that we do not pay the 5000$ to play designer as one of the other developers (I think it was Aarik) said. But,

if possible, I would let other backer made content be placed on the island. If you agreed to that. And if you thought that that other content would fit the island. That is your decision.

For example if this community also backed a pirate crew, could that pirate crew then be placed upon our island?

Or could the pirate crew use our island as their base of operations?

Or if a backer made an item. Could it be placed on our island?

Or if someone decided they wanted to place their inn on our island, would that be possible?

Or if someone would like to place their NPC on our island, etc etc...

I am just asking if in theory that was possible. You will be the ones who decide if other backer content will be placed on our island.

And if it fits the island in the first place.

There is one matter still, which is the matter of payment. Would it be possible to pay for the island via PayPal?

Because I, or someone else, would collect the crowd funding on PayPal, I assume. And it would be nice if it was possible to directly then pay for the island from PayPal.

Other than that, for me it sounds all good. I think I am quite aware of the limitations. All I would like to see is an island that is a nice "Black Isle" reference . I do have some ideas about it. I bet, many others do so too. But ultimately as I said, you should know best how to make a homage to Black Isle and maybe to Obsidian Entertainment.

So I would like to proceed, but first I would like to read what other people think about this, and especially if they understand the limitations.

So everyone, once again, please keep in mind that my map in the opening post was just for fun and will not reflect the actual island if it comes to that, except maybe for the shape and maybe for a volcano (I hope so :p ) and maybe for the name (hopefully).

Hey Fluffle,

Everything you mentioned here sounds perfectly reasonable. I'll talk to Adam and Feargus tomorrow. I'll discuss the PayPal option as well. Like I said, I can't promise anything, but I'll poke around and see what we can do for you.

• Like 3

@Bobby Null

It would even be better, I think, if Obsidian themselves made a PayPal account where we can transfer the money for the island to.

Because this way there would be more trust I think and more people would be willing to donate to an account that was held by Obsidian directly, than by some stranger on the Internet.

I do understand, however, that this would be an additional effort for Obsidian.

So I understand if you do not have the resources to spare for that.

• Like 1

I just want to reinforce something real quick because I feel like it is something some people on this forum are selectively ignoring.

Bobby Hull said, and I quote -
"Other backers, somewhat understandably, think spending large sums of cash on "content" means they should get to design quests, additional scenarios, NPCs, and generally hope for content that is out of scope of what 5,000 dollars actually buys."

As Fluffle mentioned there was another thread where AarikD posted an answer he was given by Adam Brenneke.  That answer went something to the tune of - Backers don't get to play designer in our game, we still design it, you can give ideas but we decide how it goes in.  That's not a quote, but that's basically what it said. 

If the island, and whatever else, does happen, please don't go into this thinking you are going to design some big quest chain, an epic weapon, multiple unique NPC's or enemies, write dialog, submit some graphics, or any of that.  You simply will not get to do those things.  You will get to name an island, maybe have some input on what shape it is, give some ideas on what you want the theme of the island to be, and maybe pick a couple specific features. 

That isn't to say you can't ask for a volcano on the island, that isn't to say it won't be used as a dungeon, or for a quest.  I am saying if you get a Volcano on the island, and it turns into a dungeon with some quests, it will be because it worked for Obsidian and they chose to do it that way.  Not because you wrote a quest with a 10 page backstory. 

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but Obsidian for various reasons needs to be polite, and can't be as direct as is needed to make some backers understand this.  I say this, because I have talked to many backers in private since these threads started, and some of their responses and feedback have made it clear to me they just aren't grasping this.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 6

@Karkarov

Yes, I agree and I appreciate that you write that here, because I fear otherwise there could be some HUGE misunderstandings.

As I said above I am very well aware of the limitations but I fear just like you that many people may not be aware of them.

Should this island thing happen then I would make sure to stress this again.

• Like 2

I don't wish to be misunderstood either, and I'm probably one of the people Karkarov is mentioning. I'm just excited, eager, and I like to come up with concepts and ideas. That doesn't mean the same as "I have to design stuff!!". I love it when I see fan-fic, fanart, fan stuff in general, that just inspires me more as well!

​I was part of a Roleplaying forum (Naruto) for like 4-5 years, and sometimes we just wrote because we liked to write and share our ideas, and our ideas grew and became better and better the more we roleplayed/discussed. Why? Because we had some sort of purpose, and I still strongly believe that if we hit our heads together and made something concrete, but elaborate (Doesn't have to be a 10 page Design Document @Karkarov), we'd create something pretty amazing together.

​Does that mean that Obsidian would have to listen to us and listen to that specific idea? No. It doesn't need to mean anything! We might create something that we think is awesome, amazing, and it just falls into the void and has no more purpose after that, the point is that it doesn't matter! Because within the idea, there might be 100's of ideas, and 1 amazing idea that no one would discover otherwise, is discovered!

​If we don't explore the possibilities, then it's just going to be "Name an Island" or "Name a Pirate" or "Name an Inn" or "Name a Pet", but if we had instead made​a Pet, that, let's say, is 10 ideas put together, 1 of those 10 ideas might be exactly within scope or within possibilities.

​So I kindly ask that you understand my feelings towards this, and I hope no more misunderstandings come from it :)

If my forum name is mentioned somewhere (maybe even be under a rock on that island, on a piece of driftwood, in a book, a tombstone or whatever fits) or if there is a slight hint to that blue orlan with the black beard (and without dual pistols) I will be happy. ;)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Until you have all the details figured out, here's another idea in regards to the "Black Isle" itself and how it could be depicted in Deadfire:

First, instead of just naming it the "Black Isle" (which imho would be too obvious of a reference) it could be, let's say the "Ebon Atoll".

While the average atoll is usually pretty small in size and doesn't really have that much dry landmass (above sea level) there are exceptions like the Aldabra Atoll for instance. And this is Eora after all, so the "eoraian" version of an "atoll" could look like anything (in terms of size, shape, elevation, composition, vegetation, etc).

Now in terms of shape, when you hear "atoll" you probably think of something looking like this:

JhpY8NG.jpg?1

cShLZKc.jpg?1

IiErGqJ.jpg?1

For the "Ebon Atoll" you would keep the mountain/volcanic peak (referencing or even modelled after the Black Isle logo) in the centre of the lagoon but replace the enclosing outer ring-like reef with an actual (full) circle ring landmass. Which in return would be referencing the "O" in the Obsidian Entertainment logo.

YWqQ1MO.jpg

Why the outer ring landmass is a near perfect circle would of course be left unexplained and kept mysterious on purpose.

And do you think we or the developers would let that happen?

Let's say just for arguments sake, that all the names of the islands were French indeed. Do you really think we or the developers would then name one island the "Black Isle"?

If you really fear that, then I would like to assure you that I would talk to the developers how to adjust the name "Black Isle" to best fit in the game world of Deadfire.

No, I don't think that will happen, and that's why I voted "no" because I expected it probably wouldn't fit (so why bother). :cat:

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Why should "Black Isle" not fit into a setting that has names like "Balefire Beacon"? Of course it's an obvious reference, but somebody who does not know what Black Isle is, would not even consider it strange.

Edited by Lord_Mord
  • Like 2

---

We're all doomed

I'd be willing, but right now I'm mostly waiting to see how many people would chip in - because currently, to get at 5k, divided by equal parts would make about 50 bucks per backer. Considering that's 50 bucks on top of my current Fig pledge (which happens to be 45 bucks so it's even more than I was willing to pledge in total to begin with), it's not exactly an alluring proposition.

Oh noes, we dropped below 90% again on the "yes" votes ;(

Hehe - percent doesn't matter in this case I'd say. It's good to see how many would pledge in absolute numbers.

The number of naysayers is actually pretty meaningless for me. My parents and neighbor Horst would also say no to this - how does that matter? ;)

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I'd chip in but for about a max of 20$ or so. So there would have to be a substantial amount of folks chipping in to get to 5000$.

I don't much care about quests but the name would have to be Black Isle or otherwise directly reference the previous games or studio.

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

What about testing a subscription based thing? Get enough subscribers (for $10 a month), and it happens (at least 60~70 people), and if not, call it of (would require lots of transparancy)

7) What do you need? Would it be easier if we made a couple of concept islands for you to pick from, with a goodie bag of content to pick from?

Edit: If it fails, we could get to name a pet or something? (Granted we get at least $500)

If we can't afford to buy a Caribbean island I quite like the idea of getting to name a particular creature or group of bandits....

I'm partial to something like the "Obsidian trolls" :)

Edited by rheingold

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Hey Guys,

Great news! Because you guys are so amazing, we're going to do the island for the community! No need to back a tier or anything. You guys have supported us through out these years and we wanted to give back. The team will have full control of the Black Isle but are open to suggestions. Keep in mind that this may be a small sized island, so there wouldn't be a bustling town or anything to that scale. It'll have 4-8 NPCs max.

However, if you want to incorporate something with the island, such as the NPC tier, or the Pirate Crew, that is definitely something we can work with you guys on. For example, you could encounter the Black Isle Bastards on the way to the Black Isle, or they can be chilling on the island, within reason. 

• Like 28