Backing a "Black Isle" for the Deadfire Archipelago

Would you back to crowd fund a "Black Isle" in the Deadfire Archipelago?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Would you back to crowd fund a "Black Isle" in the Deadfire Archipelago?

• yes
    • no
    • other (please specify)

Regarding pledges, last time we had 828 members of the OOoE that pledged an additionnal 8$. If everyone indeed did pay the 8$ it's a total of 6 624$.

So, I -think- it is possible to obtain 5 000$ this time around once again, but I doubt we'll manage more. Many OOoE were added in the Paypal phase as far as I can remember. But, a 5k aim seems to be possible.

Let us not confuse the different Options again.

Option A, our forum badge, is completely independent from a possible backer island.

It has nothing to do with it. I know, at first it did seem that way, but then Aarik D made it clear that those are completely independent options.

So if there was a new island slot, it would NOT be paid for with the 8$ forum badge fee. For the 8$ for the pirate crew membership on this forum you only get the forum badge and nothing else.

Backing the island would require additional donations.

• Like 1

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

I understand this, it was just a comparison, but then I wonder if we can manage to reach 5k. We would kinda need people to actually say how much they would actually be ready to give. Hard numbers before anyone actually buying the thing and hoping to be paid back.

• Like 1

« Celui qui est consumé par la flamme de la justice ne craint ni le ciel, ni l’enfer ; il n’est qu’une arme attendant le jour de sa mort ». (Paul Murphy, l'Enclave, 1971)

Sweet Fluffle! Looks really nice!

​Could I make a request though? Make it smaller (There's like 9-10 points of interest).

A) It looks a daunting task, wishful, and out of scope idea, if Obsidian opens up another slot for an Island, then I think it'd have to be more of a concentrated Island to a start. But what do I know, I'm perhaps assuming too much. What I'm trying to say is: Your map looks really interesting, but is it possible to downscale a bit? (Remove 1/4th landmass maybe, 3 islands? See Attachments).

B) Define what sort of "Isle" it is. Is it Volcanic? Is it a Tropical Island? A Jungle Island? A Tundra Island? Is it Arcane? Is it a Moving Island? This section would require a Poll though, think up various different islands and put it up for a vote.

C) Create a couple of islands of different sizes/features (they wouldn't need all the "Points of Interest" yet, just focus on the landmass and architecture of the islands. One step at a time) and put them up for a poll.

When B & C has been voted for, add Points of Interest, Lighthouse, Volcano, Inn, Harbor, etc. etc. Let's call it "D".

When "D" has been decided, start on NPC's, villagers, day-to-day routines etc.

​Attachments:

black isle 01.jpg

​- Volcanic

​- Pitch black

​- Has a shipwide opening, leading into a base of operations, close to the core

​black isle 02.jpg

​- "Cast Away" style "Tropical" island group, smaller, more focused. Sand, palm trees.

​- Main island having a small boulder/rock of 140-150 feet tall (40-45 meters). Harbor on the South East corner. Covered in palm trees, hidden huts (visible from isometric).

​- Sub-Islands covered in palm trees. One has a hidden wooden outpost tower peaking out behind the leaves, and drag marks from a small row boat in the sands.

Now to address your points in more detail:

A) It would be totally out of scope. An actual ingame island would probably be much much smaller with far fewer sites to visit. Remember, I only made that isle just for fun, not to suggest anything...

except the shape of the island, because it resembles the actual Black Isle which is Feargus Urquhart's ancestral country.

B) For this point I would base the sort of island on the question why it is called "Black Isle". There can be several explanations for that.

I was thinking about a volcano. And that the isle or huge parts of it are black because of volcanic rock, ashes, and *drumm roll* obsidian.

You know, Feargus Urquhart, did say that he liked the idea that "Obsidian Entertainment" can be seen as a reference to "Black Isle". As he said, Obsidian is some kind of "black rock" which can be seen as a reference to the "Black Isle". That is why I would propose a volcanic island. And obsidian could be one of the reasons why parts of the island are black.

C) So as I said already, personally I would vote for the shape of the actual Black Isle.

4nEAbq4.png

Edited by Fluffle

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

And the most important thing right now I would like to clarify is:

The map was just for fun. In no way did I intend to take away choices from the actual island backers by making that map.

I would support its shape because it is shaped after the actual Black Isle in Scotland, which is Feargus' ancestral homeland. But that doesn't mean you all have to agree on that, kay? ;)

And I would support the idea that that Black Isle would make some kind of reference to obsidian, which is a kind of volcanic rock.

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 1

I just looked up the actually Black Isle. Turns out it's not even an island, it's a peninsula :p

Shhh... Don't tell anyone :p

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 1

And the most important thing right now I would like to clarify is:

The map was just for fun. In no way did I intend to take away choices from the actual island backers by making that map.

I would support its shape because it is shaped after the actual Black Isle in Scotland, which is Feargus' ancestral homeland. But that doesn't mean you all have to agree on that, kay? ;)

And I would support the idea that that Black Isle would make some kind of reference to obsidian, which is a kind of volcanic rock.

Are you kidding me? The map looks great, and you're right about the shape as well. Maybe some polish and stuff like that. It gives a nice and cool concept, a general idea. It's a good start.

• Like 3

Any further word on this?  Is this still a what if or a "it could happen"?

No further word on this. Yes, it is still only a "what if".

I have repeatedly asked the team about this and every time they said they would talk about it but they never gave me a final reply, if they actually did talk about it and what their decision was.

Which is why I am beginning to feel a bit bad. I am very certain that the team has a lot of other things on their mind.

And I feel as if I act as if this island was more important which is certainly not true.

The common ground is, that I want the best for the game. You want the best for the game. And the devs want the best for the game.

But of course I think they know what is best for their game.

A "Black Isle" would have been "nice" but that's it. On the other hand I am very very grateful and astonished for the many "yes" votes on this idea. I will stop nagging the team about it now, because I do not wish to distract them further and I feel that any more pushing on this issue would be rude on my part actually. And I did push a lot already.

They do have a lot of other things on their mind. So thank you again, everyone for voting with "yes". The Black Isle will probably never make it to Pillars of Eternity 2, but it will always live on in you, as you can tell by the many "yes" votes :)

I so wish I had saved an island slot earlier. I'm sorry that this idea just didn't occur to me a tad sooner.

I will support other community related backer content. I will however not be in charge of those projects.

If a "miracle" should happen and a real chance for the "Black Isle" should show up then count on me to support it passionately with a LOT OF money too.

Marshmallow out ;)

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 3

Uhm, I'm a bit confused about the latest update, specifically about "Fulvano's Voyage".

For every new additional 1500 backers a new island will be unlocked.

While a the same just a few days ago, Aarik told me that it was unlikely that the team would add new islands.

And I wonder, if they are going to add a new island for every new, additional 1500 backers,

couldn't they have added new backer-made islands instead, or additionally just as well?

Edited by Fluffle

What happens if Neogaf name's their island, The Black Isle?

Personally I think that is rather unlikely. NeoGAF owns an inn in Pillars of Eternity 1.

And the name is a reference to NeoGAF themselves:

"Q. Will NeoGAF be mentioned in any way in the game directly?

A. We will make sure that all shout-outs are subtle as to not take you out of the lure (A lot of folks didn’t even know “Goose and Fox” was a nod to GAF. Mission accomplished!). However, there will be a Gold-Tier In-Game Credits to “NeoGAF Community”."

(taken from: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1338752)

I expect that NeoGAF will name their island with a similar subtle reference to themselves.

Edited by Fluffle

am knowing this thread is focused 'pon an island, but am gonna take one last stab at a pirate ship option.

repost:

"it sounded as if input for the pirate ship & crew were a bit limited.  something more involved, such as the possibility o' designing a multi-event adversary woulda' been nifty, but such a thing were increasing dubious.  honest, design something like the giantslayer's from admeth's den would be kinda fun, but would needs be more than a one-off to be worth the investment... 'least from our pov.  first have an initial encounter early in the game to establish raison d'être and personalities.  midway we get a battle, possible broken up by a storm preventing a final resolution.  add a final confrontation with multiple possible resolutions (but likely ending in battle) near late portion o' game.  such a multi-event encounter with a serious tough and unique adventuring group/pirate crew would be unique and memorable. "

the game will have a couple contributor islands and inns.  would be nice if we could be unique. if the developers would allow us to do something involved with the pirate crew, such as our admitted unlikely suggestion...

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun! 

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well as I have previously said I would support other community crowd funded content. I would just not be in charge of it.

There has been such an amazing support of this idea here, 93 "yes" votes already, that I feel like I want to give something back in return.

So you can count on me if you pursue other community backed content in the game.

Edited by Fluffle

The naming scheme should naturally fit the remainder of the archapelago, so if Black Island does not, it could be immersion breaking to include it. That's why I voted "no".

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

The naming scheme should naturally fit the remainder of the archapelago, so if Black Island does not, it could be immersion breaking to include it. That's why I voted "no".

Well, we already have a developer's word that our "Black Isle" would be the only one. I think if the name did not fit then Bobby Null would not have written that.

But to take your concern into account, yes, just to be sure, we should make sure that the name "Black Isle" or "Black Island" (I prefer "Black Isle") would fit into the Deadfire Archipelago.

One would think that Obsidian themselves already have thought about including an actual "Black Isle" in the game.

Voted Yes, in any case.

Would have to wait until PayPal is up though.

You would be correct. However, we designers scrap ideas almost as fast as we think them up. I would be more than happy to do so if the community wants to back a "Black Isle". You have my word that your Black Isle, will be the only Black Isle. :thumbsup:

-B