Backing a "Black Isle" for the Deadfire Archipelago

Would you back to crowd fund a "Black Isle" in the Deadfire Archipelago?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Would you back to crowd fund a "Black Isle" in the Deadfire Archipelago?

• yes
    • no
    • other (please specify)

One would think that Obsidian themselves already have thought about including an actual "Black Isle" in the game.

Voted Yes, in any case.

Would have to wait until PayPal is up though.

You would be correct. However, we designers scrap ideas almost as fast as we think them up. I would be more than happy to do so if the community wants to back a "Black Isle". You have my word that your Black Isle, will be the only Black Isle. :thumbsup:

-B

Wooot! Suddenly something exciting happened inside, all fluffy and flowery and warm.

I'm in! (Something tells me I'll live on bread and water for a while)... it's a joke of course, I got the $ to spare :p

If there is a Black Isle, it needs a giant green troll named Puuk.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

So just curious to those of you who voted "yes".

How much would you all be willing to donate for the ship?

I haven't really decided if I will or not personally. For now I'm just going with Option A and donating $8.

I would just stick with the Option A, the support just doesn't seem to be there for B.

I think this is a great idea! I'd love to see it.

I assume most of us caught the Black Hound (BG3) in Gilded Vale? I think there'll be a smattering of these anyway?

Well the funny story is that the Black Hound is a backer inn in name only.  What happened was the person who bought that tier never got in contact with, or responded to, Obsidian.  So in the end Obsidian had to design the inn themselves.

• Like 1

41 "yes" votes, we are getting somewhere. Thanks for everyone who voted "yes" and would support this idea!

• Like 2

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

The island isn't Option B, Option B is the Pirate Badge. Which is pretty much already done, we're just waiting for the Badge to appear on Fig AFAIK.

This is potentially Option C?

No, Option A is the Pirate Badge. Option B is the pirate crew + ship in the game.

• Like 1

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

The island isn't Option B, Option B is the Pirate Badge. Which is pretty much already done, we're just waiting for the Badge to appear on Fig AFAIK.

This is potentially Option C?

No, Option A is the Pirate Badge. Option B is the pirate crew + ship in the game.

Oh right, I mixed them up~

So now it's an island?  What happened to the pirate ship idea and the "Black Isle Bastards?"

....  also, where's my Obsidian Order of Eternity forum badge I've been trying to get since forever now...!     :w00t:

So now it's an island?  What happened to the pirate ship idea and the "Black Isle Bastards?"

....  also, where's my Obsidian Order of Eternity forum badge I've been trying to get since forever now...!     :w00t:

I believe, and I could be wrong, that the Black Isle Bastards pledge add on is happening. This is another way to boost funding.

I am still unsure if I can afford to help with this one. I've pledged more than I should, already. We will see. Don't count me out. I'm waiting till we get closer to the end of the campaign to decide.

Thanks for the input Ganrich.

I'll be backing somewhere between $500-$2000 most likely. I'll read some more threads this evening and get caught up on all the ideas that have been tossed around. If it means I'll split my pledge to support both a ship and an island, that's cool too.

• Like 2

So, I made a little something. Note: This was just for fun. It's does not display the design of the actual island should we get one.

Hope you like it :)

Cg5WIJ7.png

The map was done with: http://fantasynamegenerators.com/map-creator.php

Credit for the font used on the map go to Raymond Larabie: http://www.1001fonts.com/vinque-font.html#license

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 5

Sweet Fluffle! Looks really nice!

​Could I make a request though? Make it smaller (There's like 9-10 points of interest).

A) It looks a daunting task, wishful, and out of scope idea, if Obsidian opens up another slot for an Island, then I think it'd have to be more of a concentrated Island to a start. But what do I know, I'm perhaps assuming too much. What I'm trying to say is: Your map looks really interesting, but is it possible to downscale a bit? (Remove 1/4th landmass maybe, 3 islands? See Attachments).
B) Define what sort of "Isle" it is. Is it Volcanic? Is it a Tropical Island? A Jungle Island? A Tundra Island? Is it Arcane? Is it a Moving Island? This section would require a Poll though, think up various different islands and put it up for a vote.
C) Create a couple of islands of different sizes/features (they wouldn't need all the "Points of Interest" yet, just focus on the landmass and architecture of the islands. One step at a time) and put them up for a poll.

When B & C has been voted for, add Points of Interest, Lighthouse, Volcano, Inn, Harbor, etc. etc. Let's call it "D".

When "D" has been decided, start on NPC's, villagers, day-to-day routines etc.

​Attachments:
black isle 01.jpg
​- Volcanic
​- Pitch black
​- Has a shipwide opening, leading into a base of operations, close to the core

​black isle 02.jpg
​- "Cast Away" style "Tropical" island group, smaller, more focused. Sand, palm trees.
​- Main island having a small boulder/rock of 140-150 feet tall (40-45 meters). Harbor on the South East corner. Covered in palm trees, hidden huts (visible from isometric).
​- Sub-Islands covered in palm trees. One has a hidden wooden outpost tower peaking out behind the leaves, and drag marks from a small row boat in the sands.

post-44542-0-89399600-1486297010_thumb.jpg

post-44542-0-19849800-1486297023_thumb.jpg

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

So, I made a little something. Note: This was just for fun. It's does not display the design of the actual island should we get one.

Hope you like it :)

mgwYLzT.png

The map was done with: http://fantasynamegenerators.com/map-creator.php

Credit for the font used on the map go to Raymond Larabie: http://www.1001fonts.com/vinque-font.html#license

It needs Caen's Cairn.

• Like 1

Regarding pledges, last time we had 828 members of the OOoE that pledged an additionnal 8$. If everyone indeed did pay the 8$ it's a total of 6 624$.

So, I -think- it is possible to obtain 5 000$ this time around once again, but I doubt we'll manage more. Many OOoE were added in the Paypal phase as far as I can remember. But, a 5k aim seems to be possible.

« Celui qui est consumé par la flamme de la justice ne craint ni le ciel, ni l’enfer ; il n’est qu’une arme attendant le jour de sa mort ». (Paul Murphy, l'Enclave, 1971)

Regarding pledges, last time we had 828 members of the OOoE that pledged an additionnal 8$. If everyone indeed did pay the 8$ it's a total of 6 624$.

So, I -think- it is possible to obtain 5 000$ this time around once again, but I doubt we'll manage more. Many OOoE were added in the Paypal phase as far as I can remember. But, a 5k aim seems to be possible.

I'm still thinking a subscription based funding could work too, but the deadline would surely be pushed back a lot if Obsidian opened the doors to that.

200 people with $8 subscription = $1600 a month, $19'200 a year. 2000 people? $192'000 a year. Well above the $5000 (Island) & $5000 (Inn) $5000 (Ship) in either scenario. 12 months maximum, and at least 200 subscribers to have any effect (so if someone forgets to shut off, it shuts off automatically). Would require some User Terms & Agreements~

@Osvir

Easy there, easy there :)

As I said I only made the map just for fun, not to make a proposal on the design and not to take away decisions from the island backers (if it comes to that).

The only thing I would like to advocate is the shape of the isle. That would have my vote, but everyone else would of course be free to vote on the shape, too.

Why that particular shape and not something else? Let's just say Feargus Urquhart recognized it immediately. I think that would be a real nice homage to him.

4dyNMP0.png

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 2

I keep getting surprised... I guess I'm treading carefully because there was this overshadow of a limited budget for Pillars of Eternity, and now Deadfire seems more... well, relaxed? Bigger budget? :D

Edited by Osvir