Vote for the name of our community pirate order!

What is your favorite name for our community pirate crew?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Vote on the name of our crew!

• Obsidian Marauders
    • Black Isle Bastards
    • Crew of the Obsidian Pearl
    • Raiders of the Obsidian Isle
    • Deadfire Pirates
    • The Obsidian Flag
    • Ondra's Oyster
    • Pirates of the Obsidian Order
    • Buccaneers of the Obsidian Order
    • Deadfire Corsairs of the Obsidian Order
    • Buccaneers of the Blackrock
    • Obsidian Oyster Cult
    • Corsairs of the Obsidian Ocean
    • Buccaneers of the Obsidian Ocean
    • other (please specify)

The forum badge will be designed by Rob Nesler himself, so I'm pretty sure you guys will be pretty pleased with it. I'll show you guys what he cooks up and see if you have any feedback.  

Please may we let Rob do his magic. No other flags or logos or symbols or whathaveye's.

• Like 5

All Stop. On Screen.

Alright then, agreed. No other flags or logos or symbols or "whathaveye's".

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

However, that may infringe copyright.

Does anyone have thoughts on that? How could we handle that if we wanted to use that logo?

Technically, the trademark still exists, and is owned by Interplay.  That company may be a hollowed-out shell of its former self, but it isn't quite dead yet.

Putting the words "Black Isle" near a lightning bolt rocky island logo might make a lawyer grumpy somewhere, even if it is being used for something as mundane as a forum badge.

However, that may infringe copyright.

Does anyone have thoughts on that? How could we handle that if we wanted to use that logo?

Technically, the trademark still exists, and is owned by Interplay.  That company may be a hollowed-out shell of its former self, but it isn't quite dead yet.

Putting the words "Black Isle" near a lightning bolt rocky island logo might make a lawyer grumpy somewhere, even if it is being used for something as mundane as a forum badge.

Okay, thanks for letting me know. But we will now skip any additional graphics anyway. And I will take care to stay away from any copyrighted graphics.

Of course our official forum badge would not use that logo anyway.

• Like 1

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

If anything problematic occurs, we can just take a nod towards Black Isle by going for Grey Isle, cus, grey zone. It'd still be a reference, just one that's a bit further away (Black and White makes Grey).

Edit: Could I suggest another thing? All money towards the badge, also towards pirate ship? If possible.

Edited by Osvir

If anything problematic occurs, we can just take a nod towards Black Isle by going for Grey Isle, cus, grey zone. It'd still be a reference, just one that's a bit further away (Black and White makes Grey).

Shouldn't be anything too problematic with "Black Isle Bastards" and an original logo.

This isn't just some fan site; need to be cautious since this is Obsidian's official forum.

Shouldn't be anything too problematic with "Black Isle Bastards" and an original logo.

This isn't just some fan site; need to be cautious since this is Obsidian's official forum.

Who says we are named after the Black isle Studios >_>

Maybe we are named after, what they are named after:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Isle

Do the Black Isle Studios (respectively Interplay) hold the copyright to the name of the peninsula that they are named after? :o

Edit: Could I suggest another thing? All money towards the badge, also towards pirate ship? If possible.

I doubt doubling up for the badge and pirate ship would work, if only because the badge would be an official add on while the ship (island, inn, etc.) would have to be paid for by the community.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Who says we are named after the Black isle Studios >_>

Maybe we are named after, what they are named after:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Isle

Do the Black Isle Studios (respectively Interplay) hold the copyright to the name of the peninsula that they are named after? :o

IIRC Black Isle Studios was named after the Black Isle Peninsula in Scotland you reference. So...as long as there's no use of trademarkable logos or calling the group "Black Isle Studios Bastards" I think there shouldn't be a legal issue1

1I am not a lawyer.  I do not play a lawyer on tv.  This should not be construed as legal advice, much less competent legal advice.

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Okay, votes as of this moment, see below. The poll is closed. New votes will not be taken into account. The absolute majority voted for "Black Isle Bastards".

0Lg3nUN.png

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 1

Okay, votes as of this moment, see below. The poll is closed. New votes will not be taken into account. The absolute majority voted for "Black Isle Bastards".

0Lg3nUN.png

Yay! Now, only one question remains: When will we be able to pick this Black Isle Bastards add-on over at Fig?

I have this aaaarrgg-ge...

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Yeah, well... someone else please nag the developers about this. Because I have been nagging them about the backer island so often lately that I have started to really feel bad about it. And I do not wish to keep doing that. So I really do not want to ask them. Please someone else do it :)

• Like 1