Hey you all PoE fans!

PoE1 was amazing game, loved it to bits, but I did "hate" how lacking the armor looks were. I played using heavy armor guy and I wanted to look the part, but only after 2nd part expansion I got somewhat good looking plate armor but still it was kinda lacking.

Now I do realise and understand that PoE has more realistic armors and I am not saying that there needs to be super fantasy armors a'la World of Warcraft with Pauldrons of Orbiting Suns on you. I dont want that. I just want little more fantasy styled armors, little more not so realistic ones, little more stylised ones!

Im gonna pop few pictures here as example of what I mean

mviv51.jpg

Gotta have have some of that fur lining on the chest. Why? Cause it looks cooooooool....

D7npyUT.png

29707-4-1357754530.jpg

transmog1zycd5.png

Lorianfront.jpg

Now like I said, these are examples of the direction I would want to see few armors to look like, just have it be little more than what they were in the first one.

Or just give proper modding tools and I can make it myself xD

I believe Obsidian went for realism in their armor design in PoE so the over the top game armor design was avoided. I think they will probably go the same route for the sequel.

• Like 24

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

^and thankfully so, imo.

• Like 22

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I'm gonna pin the blame for the grouchyness of this post on me being poorly, but those heavy armours look rubbish.  Their repulsiveness is what drove me to wear light armour in Skyrim.  I'm sorry, but the plate armour in PoE is actually rather distinctive compared to those... 'things'.  I'm gonna go get some lemsip now.

• Like 9

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

They did have a few late game ones, which were pretty high fantasy. There was a red one if I recall correctly. But like the others here, I liked the designs. The green one you got the fampyr lord in Odd Nua was really cool looking. ^_^

• Like 3

See, I think realistic looking armour looks a lot cooler than most fantasy armour. I didn't used to, growing up playing Warhammer I always thought that Chaos Warriors, with their huge spiky armour were far cooler than Empire knights with their fairly realistic Gothic style plate. But then I started to learn about how armour worked, and why it was designed the way it was, and I started to realise that a lot of fantasy armour is just plane dumb. Pauldrons that don't allow the wearer to see what's going on to their sides, gauntlets that would stop the wearer raising their arms above their shoulders, spikes that add extra weight for no purpose: these things only look badass when you don't think about them. Once you actually understand some of the decisions that went into designing things like Gothic plate armour you realise just how cool it is. As such I'd much rather see armour stay realistic in Deadfire.

That said, armour was decorate in various ways (admittedly probably only for the richest nobles), and I can accept that Eora will have a different aesthetics and a different artistic tradition, so I am okay with non-historical decoration so long as the actual base armour underneath remains realistic.

By the way, related to this I can't bring myself to play DAI due to the absolutely ridiculous weapon designs. I really don't understand how Bioware ever thought this art style was a good idea. Some over the top weapons can at least look okay (Diablo 3 has some of these) but DAI's not only look unrealistic, they also look awful.

• Like 3

I like the "more" realistic armor style. Giant pauldrons, and helmet spikes, can stay with every other fantasy game, but leave them out of an I.E. successor. There are plenty of Skyrims, WoWs, what-have-you'd that use this aesthetic, and a game or two being more muted isn't going to kill anyone.

I still want flames coming off my weapons, though. A magic sword is a magic sword. Lol

• Like 2

Many forget that if you dont like that armor you don't have to wear it.

Two problems with that:

• There are generally very few unique armours in each category. Before the White March expansions there were three unique plate armours, or which two wear only available in Act III. This means that if a person wants to wear plate then they kinda do have to wear armour, even if they don't like the look of it.
  • The aesthetics issue doesn't stop at what the player is wearing: the world around them is also important. If I am wearing a nice suit of historical looking Italian white plate, but half the NPCs around me are wearing ridiculous fantasy armour then that's just as bad.
  • Like 1

What I am getting here is that keep the armors realistic, just give me option to have skirt/kilt/loincloth what ever it is called. People here need to learn that if there is image here that it is not to be used like bible but as an example. And now after saying this, someone says there is no need to have armor that has 10meter long flowing cape on it

We already had some badass armours, which look a lot better than those in other games.

YICaHz1.jpg

Those are nice, not badass, those are what I would think the basic norm, not the best of the best. I am talking about models here, not about textures. Those are the armor I would like to see on your run of the mill foot soldiers wear, that is like the armor Stromtroopers wear. Once again, the 3D model. That is why it would be nice to get something more special looking.

NO, not animu armor, not oversized pauldrons, not 10000000000 moving parts, just something more than that, which are nice. Just lacking

Wow, your run of the mill foot soldiers are bloody wealthy if that's the sort of armour they are wearing. The four unique plate armours in PoE all look like the sort of armour that wealthy nobles or even kings wore. They are highly ornate and decorated: something that the vast majority of people who wearing plate (already something many soldiers couldn't afford) would not have had.

• Like 17

Wow, your run of the mill foot soldiers are bloody wealthy if that's the sort of armour they are wearing. The four unique plate armours in PoE all look like the sort of armour that wealthy nobles or even kings wore. They are highly ornate and decorated: something that the vast majority of people who wearing plate (already something many soldiers couldn't afford) would not have had.

^ This.

• Like 3

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Please keep the style of PoE1. I liked it a lot. I must say even the Sanguine Plate was too fancy for me - all that red and the spiked, crownlike helmet. I really liked the White Crest though - especially if combined with the White Spire estoc. I don't think ornamented armors like those or Osric's Family Breastplate are bad - loved them. But once the models start to become very edgy and "badass", with spikes and stuff, it bores me. I really like the design of the fine plate armor model, even the exceptional one is to fancy for my taste. Maybe this is also a question of age.  

• Like 11

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I don't think so. I'm ooooold and I still like anime/ over the top stuff.

But the whole atmosphere, design of PE1 was grounded in/tried to be a metaphor of our world's history and those armors would have looked totally out of place.

I loved this approach but I also look forward to the next game that gives me dragon wings and helmets as big as a house :w00t:

I'm looking forward to these styles:

Corsair (From Guild Wars 2 wiki)

400px-User_Corsair_Pirate.jpg

And this too:

Buccaneer

Speaking of which, here's a google search for pirate fashion. But historical might be a better search.

this....

It is the perfect blend of reasonable and interesting, and it fits well with the setting.

I also thought tyranny did a good job with their variants....weapons too, they did a great job with weapon models. hopefully, that will continue.

just keep the armors realistic. the armor in PoE1 was perfect for for the game's visual design. don't go changing it now.

Edited by Casper
  • Like 4

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns