Pillars Of Eternity My thoughts

Hello To All you CRPG Gamers I love this type of game since I played the classic many know of Baldurs Gate 2 I did not play First one until later but to be honest I prefer the 2nd one by far..

I was a Backer for Pillars Of Eternity as my hope was renewed after Dragon Age Let me down after Origins which I do recommend I enjoyed Origins a lot but how do they stack up to my Favourite still BG2 I own  that remastered Enhanced as well played recently and I can still see why it was so enjoyable the depth in the game is stunning from the Characters you can get attached and even some seemingly random events that spring up from all over the place but that is enough of that back to My thought on Pillars.

I have to be honest I think the Game Is Great but the Story I found boring and the character well lacked character The battle and spells and Balance of the game overall was good but I don't know it lacked the excitement for me at least.

Reason on characters being boring well there very few side quest for them I mean in  BG2 you there was a rarely a moment when something would not happens like a messenger would come for one of your NPC Helpers and you would suddenly get a new quest to go somewhere to help them out and it would quite often open up that character story that allows you to get more attached to them in this it's like you have conversations here and there a couple side quest for them but I don't know just lacked appeal to me.

No romancing of NPC I feel was a huge Mistake you know there no need to be sordid about it I played BG2 and the romancing was not sordid as such but it actual helped you get the idea of there character from the dialogue for the romancing options and on top of that IT was even incorporated into the game story like when Bhodi kills your romanced NPC and if you read the book you find out there is a way to resurrect them with the black heart of Bhodi.

I thought I was just being nostalgic tho so I did replay Baldurs Gate 2 Enhanced and I ain't is the sad truth there a lot more game play in Pillars in terms of time you would need to complete it but it just not as good in story or in excitement.

This is not me saying you should not get Pillars as it is a Great Game one of the best CRPG for quite some time but I would lower your expectations the game is a solid edition to the genre and Obsidian and Paradox as well as the backers should be proud of this game and I would recommended to anyone who enjoys this type of game I've even backed the Pillars Of Eternity 2 in the hope it builds on this and get way better.

In fact what I would say is Pillars Of Eternity is more like Baldurs Gate Good Story Good Game play Good characters so my thought are maybe POE2 will Developed further and have that edge that BG2 had guess we will have to wait and see :)

Thanks for those that read reply if you like I happy to see what other people thought?

Edited by ShimmerUK
  • Like 2

A lot of people around the internet seem to share your opinion, actually. I don't, but that's because I didn't actually like Baldur's Gate games all that much - I really loved Pillars tho.

What was it about Baldurs gate you disliked out of curiosity?  I personally not a fan of the first Baldurs Gate but the 2nd one I did enjoy icewind dale as well did not play Torment but I do have tides of Numenera just started on that got to admit feeling a tad confused with the story but I am getting to grips with it now seems inventive.

I also did enjoy NW and even NW2 prob lean toward NW as I felt NW2 was dummed down a tad but still a good game

What was it about Baldurs gate you disliked out of curiosity?

Honestly, I just didn't enjoy the world and the writing. The original Baldur's Gate had a lot more free exploration than the second one so I could somewhat stomach it there, which is why I finished that game (it still doesn't rank too high on my cRPG list tho). Second game leans on writing and characters a lot more, which is why I liked it a lot less. I'm pretty sure I finished it at some point, but I can't really remember TBH - that's how unimpressive BG2 always was to me.

So, why would I dislike writing?

a) I know this isn't Bioware's fault since they were using an existing setting, but Forgotten Realms just doesn't feel like a coherent world to me. It feels like a game space with cool and epic things thrown in there for player to find, and that just doesn't get me immersed into it particularly.

b) While the characters fit the greater-than-life nature of the world perfectly, that was also why I disliked them - they all had a characteristic or two that they were sticking with unquestionably and they never really felt believable to me.

All of this and Obsidian's promise that they're mainly going to take inspiration from BG is, after all, why I didn't back the original Pillars of Eternity when its kickstarter came up. But a lot of people told me there's more BG1 in Pillars than BG2, so eventually I gave in and bought the game.

As you may guess from my reasoning as to why did I dislike BG games, PoE ended up being a perfect fit for me. It had the exploration element from the original Baldur's Gate and the writing's a lot more down to Earth, with companion characters being a lot less extreme and more believable. Add to that the fact that I never really liked combat in IE games and Pillars of Eternity was like somebody was going through my list of complaints with it and removing them one by one, I just irrevocably fell in love with the game and now it ranks as one of my favorite RPGs of all time.

• Like 1

Hey thanks for the Reply I can see it from your aspect It seems I am opposite side of the table but then again you will always get contrast as different people will enjoy different aspects end of the day.

You Probably would not enjoy Planscape Torment then as that is kinda mad I've got that new one Tides Of Numenera And even I am confused but slowly getting to grips with the story seems like it could be fun.

• Like 1

Hey thanks for the Reply I can see it from your aspect It seems I am opposite side of the table but then again you will always get contrast as different people will enjoy different aspects end of the day.

Yeah, different folks and all that. I'm really curious as to what will Obsidian do with PoE2 now that they got a lot of feedback about original not being epic enough. We'll see.

You Probably would not enjoy Planscape Torment

Oh I loved planescape. Stuff that I mentioned feels jarring to me because I had point of reference with stuff like Witcher (the books came out way back) or Lord of the Rings, whereas Planescape Torment was just completely alien. I like exploring new things. Besides, it was written a lot better - I'm quite looking forward to Numenera.
  • Like 1

Hey well that is interesting But then again I consider games like theses like a book some books you will like some you won't.

Oh I do not think you would like TOB if you don't like BG much but it does get a tad insane in TOB like where your fighting I think it's 5 dragons at the same time but in the expansion your Equipment is on the Insane Level Like if you a Paladin you might have the two handed sword Carsomyr http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Carsomyr In TOB this becomes a +6 weapon with the right eqipment or race you could become 100% magic resistance with boots of speed Equipped (Bug or lazy programming Hasted you instead oops) that would increase you attack speed as well you would become a unstoppable killing machine immune to all magic

Surely NO romance and NO fun quests with the main character like for example getting drunk with friends and doing stupid things [like Geralt did with his friends in TW 2 and then he woke up with a tattoo on his neck that he didnt wish to have...] = negative side of PoE. But still it s a great RPG and no one can deny that,as for compating things to Baldur;s Gate - well it is not logical, BG remains a part of the past. Let us stick to the present.

Edited by IamNOOB
  • Like 1

BG remains a part of the past. Let us stick to the present.

Indeed it is but that not to say you should not learn lesson from the past to improve the present ;)

But POE2 I have big hopes for as if POE was this good then POE2 can surely only get better maybe we will see