I played my first run through the campaign with Kyra and Merisiel.  Good pairing, though I did struggle a bit with damage output in the final scenario.

I played my second run through with the next 4 characters I had unlocked, chosen mostly at random at the time of unlocking: Seelah, Lini, Sagan, and Amiri.  Great party.  Plenty of heals, plenty of blessings, plenty of combat potential, couple of good Wisdom closers, and a couple of people who can deal with barriers and such.  Ran almost the full campaign on Legendary (except for the last couple of scenarios just because I hadn't unlocked them yet.)

Recently started my third party with everyone else, because it was everyone else: Valeros, Lem, Harsk, Ezren, and Seoni.  Whew this combination sucks!  Combat ability is decent, but no one really closes Wisdom, no one really disables worth a damn, tiny number of blessings, essentially no heals.  Swapping back to these guys as noobs from the last mob all tooled up is a serious shock to the system; I lost the very first scenario on my first attempt (on Legendary, but still...)  I'm not saying that there's anything necessarily wrong with any of these guys individually, but they do _not_ feel like they work together well.

What was your worst combo in a party?

As one citizen of this ghost town to another, I would say that theoretically Lem and either Harsk or Meri. His ability can help someone at his location. Harsk can help someone at a different location and Meri is seriously diminished by someone at hers. Surprisingly, I find Val's special help ability is sweet. I don't put people together a lot, but plenty of times the game throws characters into the same location. Most notoriously the last scenario makes both Harsk and Meri less useful, although Harsk is so absolutely splendid in the vast majority of scenarios that he might very well be my favorite character. Val is great and has a hell of a lot more character than the barbarian. I know some people fawn over her move ability, and I would probably come to love it I played with her long enough to use it more often, but the legendary move restrictions are a not an insurmountable obstacle. In a couple of places they really bite when the player is forced to go through in a specific order. Even then, since people get bunched, Val's bonus is nifty. It's a significant difference in damage output even in high difficulty fights.

So, I guess my worst party, theoretically, would be Harsk, Lem, Kyra, and Lini. That's because, if you end up going divine with Harsk, you've got four people fighting over great divine spells and a serious damage deficit compared to other parties. I did take a six character party up through the end of deck 3. It had Ezren, Amiri, Seelah, that chump of a monk, Lini, and Kyra in it. I know it's probably my play style that made it suck so bad, but it did suck a lot for me.

So shines the name so shines the name of Roger Young!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MEJM0cboDg

I did take a six character party up through the end of deck 3. It had Ezren, Amiri, Seelah, that chump of a monk, Lini, and Kyra in it. I know it's probably my play style that made it suck so bad, but it did suck a lot for me.

Huh.  Interesting that that's my four person party that I bragged about how good they were, plus two more.  I wonder if that's a measure of our differing playstyles, or of how differently the game plays with a 6-man party.  I'm certainly noticing even the difference between 4 and 5, though it's hard to tease out what's different just because they're different characters.

• Like 1

It is a lot about playing Style! I personally have not worst party experience. I have difficulties with Harsk, but I know peoples who think that Harsk is the best character out there, so I think that my learning curve with him is just deeper for some unknown personal reason...

So no worst parties except maybe some solo issues... They can be hard!

With his d8 and dex bonus, he's not a slouch when it come to damage output, but he's not stellar either. What Harsk is for me is the ultimate support character. He doesn't shine on his own nearly as much as part of a group. However, depending on the mix, the advantage he conveys can be mitigated or even nullified. This is especially true on some of the legendary scenarios where the party must essentially stay in one group to progress each location in order. Also, sadly, the last scenario robs him of his close support artillery ability. So, in some cases, he really could be part of a worst group ever.

I think, Sir Real, you should differentiate between worst party for basic and worst for legendary. The damage to overcome bad guys isn't nearly as great on basic and so a character can more often knock off a boss without Harsk supporting as sniper. In legendary, some of the henchman and boss fights require a kitchen sink approach to make certain defeat turns into plausible and plausible into a good chance or even certain victory. Things like that staff of hungry shadows, a fully charged sniper shot, a maxed out val ability, etc. really make a difference in those situations.

But, yeah, I agree that I bring my prejudices and they're not always based on the mechanics. I don't like monks my RPGs, so I *know* I haven't given the monk a fair shot. Although, to be fair to myself, I don't like his mechanics either, which means I haven't been drawn to experiment with them.

Edited by Eumaios

So shines the name so shines the name of Roger Young!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MEJM0cboDg

The monk is a serious damage dealer *in the right circumstances*.  If he has the Amulet of Mighty Fists in hand, as well as the blessing card that adds 2 dice to Dex based attacks (forget the name of the card) he can easily stand out as your greatest damage dealer (the blessing cards get Recharged back into your deck btw).  That being said, I've run into too many circumstances where neither of these cards were in his hand and his combat effectiveness was crippled.  I'm swapping him out for the dwarf ranger to see if that party works better for me.

-Arin

• 4 months later...

I started up a 4 White Mages run. Seelah, Kyra, Lini, and Lem. The four characters that start with a Divine power. Seems decently balanced. Lem picks up all the arcane spells, and acts as a support. Seelah is the big melee combat character. Lini is good all around. and Kyra keeps everybody healed up and can hold her own in combat and with supporting blessings. We'll see how things go as I progress deeper, but after playing through the entire campaign a couple times, putting fun restrictions on the party makeup keeps things interesting. 

I've also thought about doing a Wizard pair with Sajan and Seoni. Or a melee only combat club with Amiri, Seelah, Kyra, Sajan, and Valeros. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My worst party thus far was Amiri, Harsk and Seoni. No healing ability whatsoever and two characters that like to burn through cards, yikes!

It actually got manageable once I picked up Father Zantus and a couple heal staves though. Honestly, I think healing is probably the single thing that will break your party to not have.

Although, I suppose a Lem-Lini pair might have trouble just because neither is consistently good in combat. They'd tear through everything else though.