Why not Kickstarter?  Why this (to me) completely unknown service FIG?​
I admit I found out about this a bit late, and the information might be buried here somewhere to find (though my perhaps superficial searches didn't give me any clear answer)

Though now that I know about it I will certainly back :D (just the choice of backing-platform that left me curious)
Thanks in advance for any link/good answer​​​

For norrmal guys like you and me there is no difference. The reason is probably that some people at Obsidian is involved with Fig. So they use a platform they want to promote aswell. It makes sense. :)

Edited by TheisEjsing
  • Like 2

Is there a way to reach all the former Kickstarter backers from PoE 1 and inform them about the Fig campaign for PoE 2?

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 1

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Fig also offers some very specific things Kickstarter does not.

1:  They offer to assist with publishing.

2: People can "buy shares" of the game at 2k USD a pop, and then based on the end result of the sales (potentially) get a percentage return on investment.

Is there a way to reach all the former Kickstarter backers from PoE 1 and inform them about the Fig campaign for PoE 2?

I would be surprised if Obsidian has not mass email spamming previous backers to come back for reinforcements. This is the first thing i would do, personally.

• Like 1

I would be surprised if Obsidian has not mass email spamming previous backers to come back for reinforcements. This is the first thing i would do, personally.

January 28 Kickstarter Update # 110 in fact.  Would have sent out via email to anyone getting updated by email and would be in their updates next time they log on.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

January 28 Kickstarter Update # 110 in fact.  Would have sent out via email to anyone getting updated by email and would be in their updates next time they log on

Oo. Just checked it and it doesn't show up in my activity tracker on ks. Would have never noticed this without your comment. Have to check my mail if I at least got an email about it. 

Edit:

Nope. Never got an email about the update. Someone posted in the comment section of the update that the same thing happened to him. Without an email or appearing in the ks activity tracker the only way to notice that there was an update is through the Update tab of the campaign. 

Edited by Shiroco

Weird I'm pretty sure I got the email (can't remember if it showed up in my updater tracking).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

January 28 Kickstarter Update # 110 in fact.  Would have sent out via email to anyone getting updated by email and would be in their updates next time they log on

Oo. Just checked it and it doesn't show up in my activity tracker on ks. Would have never noticed this without your comment. Have to check my mail if I at least got an email about it. 

Edit:

Nope. Never got an email about the update. Someone posted in the comment section of the update that the same thing happened to him. Without an email or appearing in the ks activity tracker the only way to notice that there was an update is through the Update tab of the campaign. 

I got an email direct from Obsidian to this effect, on Jan 26th.  The email footer said that "You are subscribed to the Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire newsletter as a previous supporter of the project."  I assume that they used my contact information from their backer portal (rather than from Kickstarter, which the message didn't mention at all).  I'm surprised that they didn't do the same for everybody. 

The message did include a $5 discount code for any tier over $29, so maybe they only sent it to folks who backed Pillars1 above a certain level?  (That said, gmail routed it to my "promotions" sub-folder, where I didn't see it until I had already backed Deadfire.  Oh well.)

• Like 1

I got an email direct from Obsidian to this effect, on Jan 26th.  The email footer said that "You are subscribed to the Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire newsletter as a previous supporter of the project."  I assume that they used my contact information from their backer portal (rather than from Kickstarter, which the message didn't mention at all).  I'm surprised that they didn't do the same for everybody. 

The message did include a $5 discount code for any tier over $29, so maybe they only sent it to folks who backed Pillars1 above a certain level?  (That said, gmail routed it to my "promotions" sub-folder, where I didn't see it until I had already backed Deadfire.  Oh well.)

I got that email. Although I had to look in my spam folder. But there should have been an email from kickstarter about a new update from "Project Eternity". I don't know why I didn't get that email or why it doesn't even show up in the activity tracker on ks. Maybe ks blocked this because it redirects people to another platform. The only other reason besides just a bug is that I verified that I got my reward.  

I will be backing ...but

Back or back not. There is no but.

yoda.jpeg?w=240

If they want me to back, there'd better be some butt.

Big butts, I like. Deny, you other brothers can't. Back, baby got. 

-- Sir Yodalot

Want none, my anaconda does. Unless buns, you have.

• Like 5

Obsidian (Feargus) purposely didn't send out an email through Kickstarter because presumably he thought previous backers would have gotten the notification email from Obsidian already. He may have been mistaken.

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I will be backing ...but

yoda.jpeg?w=240

-- Sir Yodalot

I never realized that I wanted to hear Yoda rap 'Baby Got Back' until today. 

• Like 3

I will be backing ...but

yoda.jpeg?w=240

-- Sir Yodalot

I never realized that I wanted to hear Yoda rap 'Baby Got Back' until today. 

This is why I love you guys. This is the most amazing rendition of this song I have ever seen. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Why not Kickstarter?  Why this (to me) completely unknown service FIG?​

I admit I found out about this a bit late, and the information might be buried here somewhere to find (though my perhaps superficial searches didn't give me any clear answer)

Though now that I know about it I will certainly back :D (just the choice of backing-platform that left me curious)

Thanks in advance for any link/good answer​​​

So I've down some research into Fig/Loose Tooth and this is what I see them as. They want to be a sustainable way for hand picked games to get funded, not just from backers but from investors. By giving people a return on their money they hope they can consistently get niche games published using Fig for years to come. Think of Fig as you would any publisher.

They are going to give advice and help the developers. They are going to hand pick projects and developers, not just any old slapped together project can appear on Fig. That means less likelihood of failure, and hopefully ZERO incidents of "take the money and run" as we've seen in a couple Kickstarted projects.

So not only will the games funded through Fig be better on average, they'll get real help making and releasing their game which they wouldn't get from Kickstarter and the people who choose to invest might actually make a return. Don't forget that not only are the public able to invest by buying Fig shares but Fig is investing into the game as well.

While the amount Fig returns to investors and charges to manage the investment is still up in the air, and those numbers will likely be a big part of how sustainable this is, it's a much thing than Kickstarter when it comes to getting a video game funded and made.

• Like 1