[Fig campaign] Reward Tier: Death Godlike as Ingame Portrait

The Death-Godlike option is now definitely out of the question, right?

A shame, I probably wouldn't have mind shelling out just for the mouth/chin region to actually appear in the portrait.

Yep, they explicitly excluded it now. I am sorry, I feel that I caused this.

If you REALLY wanted this, you'd need to talk to a dev first, best address would be Aarik D

But you must be aware, that you will most likely be not recognizable AT ALL as a Death Godlike

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

A shame, I probably wouldn't have mind shelling out just for the mouth/chin region to actually appear in the portrait.

If you REALLY wanted this, you'd need to talk to a dev first, best address would be Aarik D

But you must be aware, that you will most likely be not recognizable AT ALL as a Death Godlike

I don't know why. They could do a Death Godlike where only the eyes are covered - like sunglasses basically (I mean the size of the area, not the looks). If your face is distinctive enough it wouldn't be impossible to recognize you. Think about Batman's mask. It's quite laughable that nobody regognizes him. Not as laughable as Clark/Superman, but laughable nonetheless. Why do all the godlike faces have to be covered completely? It's not against the lore to only cover their eyes as far as I remember.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I don't know why. They could do a Death Godlike where only the eyes are covered - like sunglasses basically (I mean the size of the area, not the looks). If your face is distinctive enough it wouldn't be impossible to recognize you. Think about Batman's mask. It's quite laughable that nobody regognizes him. Not as laughable as Clark/Superman, but laughable nonetheless. Why do all the godlike faces have to be covered completely? It's not against the lore to only cover their eyes as far as I remember.

That is basically what I proposed (see page 1 of this thread):

nDIoQOT.png

And then the reply was that it would be like this instead:

UUgy8qm.jpg

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Wouldn't it be even possible to only cover one side of the face - phantom-of-the-opera style? Don't get why you have to run around with a blackened cajun potato as head.

I mean it's not that the portraits resembeled the models in any way in PoE1, so...

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Pfff! How do they eat for Berath's sake?

there is still a small gap! You could use some kind of cone to feed them liquid food.

Kidding aside, I think that was just an example (though I am not sure). In Pillars of Eternity 1 the mouth was not covered.

• Like 1

What does that mean?

Adam Jensen is the protagonist of the two most recent Deus Ex games. He has is a heavily augmented man, and one of his augments are a pair of sunglasses lenses build into his head which he can retract at will. Whilst these lenses are out, his eyes are covered by small black discs, pretty much the minimum amount of black material necessarily to completely cover the eyes (and hence qualify as a death godlike). The part time refers to the fact he can retract them at will.

I feel that this joke is kinda ruined by the description, assuming it was ever funny to begin with...

• Like 2

The lore description is quite specific that the only part of their face that has to be covered is their eyes. Of course Obsidian are free to change this as they want since it's their IP and it's in its infancy, but certainly going by PoE lore it should be possibly to have a death godlike with relatively little facial coverage.

Of course, if you wanted your portrait to match up to an in game character model, and all the character models had full facial coverage, then that would be a problem.

• Like 1

The lore description is quite specific that the only part of their face that has to be covered is their eyes. Of course Obsidian are free to change this as they want since it's their IP and it's in its infancy, but certainly going by PoE lore it should be possibly to have a death godlike with relatively little facial coverage.

Yes that was my line of thinking too originally. I do not have any source of ingame lore that says that Death Godlikes not only have to have their eyes covered BUT so much more of their face too. But I figured it wasn't worth arguing about it. But I totally agree with that point!

Of course, if you wanted your portrait to match up to an in game character model, and all the character models had full facial coverage, then that would be a problem.

Yes, true. Depends on if that would be a real "problem" for someone. There may be several other cases where the ingame model would not fit the character portrait. Personally, I can and always have lived with that.

Edited by Fluffle

Pfff! How do they eat for Berath's sake?

Never in polite company. They extrude their retractable tentacles/proboscides through the cracks in their scabby face masks, predigesting their meals before slurping them back up like any proper eldritch nightmare would. Or maybe those shadowy wisps that trail around their face allow them to telekinetically subsume inert organic materials. Part of the fun for me in Pillars one was imagining the distinctly malformed and inhuman mouth shapes that might greet someone who actually got up in there to peer into the cracks in the third death godlike model's face covering (circular lamprey suckers, spidery pedipalps? Why not a cancerous/vestigial combination of both!) That said, even I think that it's more interesting to have the models reflect more of a continuum of death godlike freakishness between the subtle and the nightmarish rather than make them all more or less faceless.

Maybe they'll make a godlike model with someone else's face stretched over their carapace if we ask nicely enough. There's a compromise that works for me.

Edited by blotter

godlike suck.  is not only the name, but the name don't help neither.  is somebody at obsidian a valley girl? can imagine discussing naming nomenclature for races during poe development when the hypothetical obsidian girl contributes.

"'cause, y'know, our plane-touched race is so totally awesome. they're, y'know, like gods, but not.  they're so totally rad and like god like."

rest is history.

but serious, godlike suck.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

cal i fornia girls they're undeniable daisy dukes bikinis on top

is possible youngsters and non-americans might be confused.

video aid.  listen from 2:35

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

That is basically what I proposed (see page 1 of this thread):

nDIoQOT.png

And then the reply was that it would be like this instead:

UUgy8qm.jpg

I suppose they could use your face to make the deathgodlike, then have the deathgodlike holding a mask (like they're putting on/pulling off) that looks like your face as well, but then we'd need mask wearing death godlikes in the game or something.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

@Amentep

This is rather a lore issue. Has it lorewise been established that Death Godlikes have to have almost their entire face being covered, or can it only be just their eyes?

There is a HUGE difference between the two Anomen images, yet both of them have their eyes covered.

So I am asking for lore on the game. Is it impossible in the game world "Eora" to meet a Death Godlike who has their face covered like in Anomen example 1 (first picture)? Really just the eyes and not so much more. That's what I'd like to know.

Edited by Fluffle

The Internet tells me the PoE in-game description: "Death godlike are the most distrusted of their kind. Strange growths cover their eyes - or, in some cases, entire face - giving them a sinister appearance. The growths are transparent for the godlike but opaque from the outside, hiding their features. Death godlike are commonly killed at birth because many cultures consider them to be harbingers of doom"  No clue how accurate that is, but based on that it sounds like the full face covering was less common than the eye covering.

From the examples we have, it seems like the covering has to actually cover the orbit and top of the head, though.

However having read the earlier thread, it seemed like the consensus for PoE2 was that it covered most of their faces, and I was thinking if that was the case, could they get around that with masks and if so could that be a work-around for an ingame portrait.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man