[Fig campaign] Reward Tier: Death Godlike as Ingame Portrait

Hi everyone,

I have a question about the Reward tiers "Portrait Ingame".

This mostly concerns the Godlikes I imagine.

How much will the portrait look like the backer? For example think of a Death Godlike.

You'd pay a lot of money, but your face would hardly be recognizable, if at all, because most of your face

would actually be covered.

Is there a way do make a portrait of a Death Godlike, that looks like a Death Godlike but still resembles the backer?

Would that even be possible?

Edited by Fluffle

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Apparently all death godlike's eyes (at least) are covered by their growths, so the question is whether someone can be recognisable from just the lower part of their face. I'd say that depends on how distinctive that part of their face is and, of course, how well the person viewing the portrait knows the backer. It's never going to be as obvious as with other races but I suspect it'll be possible.

I'd check with Obsidian whether they'll do it first though. They might be reluctant for the very reason you raise i.e. they don't want someone being disappointed with the result after forking out that much cash.

Apparently all death godlike's eyes (at least) are covered by their growths, so the question is whether someone can be recognisable from just the lower part of their face. I'd say that depends on how distinctive that part of their face is and, of course, how well the person viewing the portrait knows the backer. It's never going to be as obvious as with other races but I suspect it'll be possible.

I'd check with Obsidian whether they'll do it first though. They might be reluctant for the very reason you raise i.e. they don't want someone being disappointed with the result after forking out that much cash.

Yeah the thing is, it's not only their eyes. It's a huge area actually that only leaves what? The nose, mouth and chin?

Male_godlike_death_a_lg.png?version=e5e4Death-godlike-female-portrait.jpg

But even if it was just the eyes only, it'd still be a problem I'd imagine. They're one of THE most important features when you want to recognize someone.

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Hey Fluffle, 

So the official word is that you can choose to have a Death Godlike portrait, but by nature, they are faceless beings and there would be a lot of limitations on what you can do if you want the portrait to resemble you in any way. That said, it is really up to you if you want to be a Death Godlike with only showing a small resemblance of your physical self and also being quite a challenge for our artists to ensure that you are happy with the result. But we are willing to work with you to make it work. 

• Like 4

Hey Fluffle, 

So the official word is that you can choose to have a Death Godlike portrait, but by nature, they are faceless beings and there would be a lot of limitations on what you can do if you want the portrait to resemble you in any way. That said, it is really up to you if you want to be a Death Godlike with only showing a small resemblance of your physical self and also being quite a challenge for our artists to ensure that you are happy with the result. But we are willing to work with you to make it work. 

Thanks for letting me know, and thanks for asking the artists.

Naturally this rather discourages me, although it makes sense of course.

This would be an act of balance. The Death Godlike would have had their face to be covered enough to still count as a Death Godlike, while at the same the face should be covered as little as possible to still resemble me.

That is quite a challenge.

In the wiki it says:

"Strange growths cover their eyes - or, in some case, entire face - giving them a sinister appearance."

So I take it, the eyes of a Death Godlike are probably always covered. The question would be how much else of their face *has to be* covered to still count as a Death Godlike.

So I take it, the eyes of a Death Godlike are probably always covered. The question would be how much else of their face *has to be* covered to still count as a Death Godlike.

Correct, it would be an extreme challenge to pull this off with only having limited facial area. In my honest opinion, I would advise going against it, if you are going to spend all that cash to only have your lower face be somewhat resembled. 

• Like 4

Correct, it would be an extreme challenge to pull this off with only having limited facial area. In my honest opinion, I would advise going against it, if you are going to spend all that cash to only have your lower face be somewhat resembled. 

Yep, I think I'd rather not do it then. Not a final decision yet, but it's unlikely. Thanks for helping out :)

Okay, Aarik, I have another question.

This one concerns all In-Game Custom Portraits.

How does the process work? I send in a photograph of myself, I wait a few months, and at some time I will get the final result.

Or would I be in contact with the artist over a longer period of time. Say, would the artist show me sketches first, and then the progression, step by step, of the final result?

And if I did not like the direction the final portrait was going, would I be able to give feedback?

In other words, how exactly does this whole pledging for a custom portrait work in detail.

Although it'd be pretty awesome - if your only good feature was a really, really awesome chin. :)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Robert Z'Dar is one of the few people I'm certain would still be recognizable post "death godlike" makeover.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

You guys... :p

So, I have played around a bit and given this some thought.

As I understand "only" the eyes have to be covered.

So to my opinion the minimum facial cover (black area) would be something like this:

nDIoQOT.png

To my understanding no one said the forehead has to be covered. Nor the top of the head.

Is that correct?

Fluffle are you super dedicated to being a death godlike or something :p  There is a reason they are forcing people to choose unpopular races with the current tier.

Yes, I am, that's my problem ;(

What can I say, they are my favorite race.

You may have to just accept that you'll be unrecognizable.  You could say you have to...take it on the chin.

:biggrin:

• Like 5

You may have to just accept that you'll be unrecognizable.  You could say you have to...take it on the chin.

:biggrin: <see what I did there?> :biggrin:

I had to look it up. I am not a native English speaker and I didn't know that idiom. But now that I know, yeah it's funny ;)

So tell me, who of you recognizes the last portrait I posted? And why do you recognize it despite parts of the face being covered?

I definitely recognise the portrait (Anomen from BG2) but it's quite possible I recognise it not because of its facial features, but because of the distinctive art style of BG2 portraits combined with the fact that there are only a handful of portraits in BG2, and there are enough other distinctive features on that portrait to identify it.

I can't work out how to post images (perhaps I don't have permission) so here's a link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B22piHxlmnNnMmI3ZDFVLXNmVm8/view

It's of a reasonably famous celebrity: can you recognise who? That might be a useful metric for this sort of thing.

Edited by JerekKruger
  • Like 1

As you might be able to tell from the fire godlike in the Fig video, the godlikes have undergone quite a facelift. In the case of the death godlikes, for the purposes of looking even more like a creepy eldritch nightmare, it has been more of a face... reduction. Which sounds dubious but they're gonna look soooooo good

• Like 8

You may have to just accept that you'll be unrecognizable. You could say you have to...take it on the chin.

:biggrin:

I had to look it up. I am not a native English speaker and I didn't know that idiom. But now that I know, yeah it's funny ;)

I started not to post it afraid you wouldn't get the humor. Glad you were able to.

As you might be able to tell from the fire godlike in the Fig video, the godlikes have undergone quite a facelift. In the case of the death godlikes, for the purposes of looking even more like a creepy eldritch nightmare, it has been more of a face... reduction. Which sounds dubious but they're gonna look soooooo good

Wait, even more face reduction? (Could you please tell me, when exactly in the video?)

Well anyway, the ingame models of the godlikes and the painted portraits should be two different things. It's normal that your ingame player model does not necessarily look the same way the portrait of that character looks like.

In the end my concern is, that I need to know to what extend a portrait of a Death Godlike would be allowed to look humane.

So far, I only know that the eyes have to be covered.

So okay, what about the chin? Nose? Forehead? Ears? Cheeks? Mouth?

The top of the head? The sides of the head?

I would really appreciate an elaborate answer to this. :)

Edited by Fluffle

Damn that Fire Godlike looks awesome. On the other damn I can forget about the Death Godlike portrait...