Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The watercolor-style portraits

portraits npc

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

LLaney

LLaney

Obsidian Alumni

• Members
  • 131 posts

In my experience the playday after we tested the NPC portraits was a lot more memorable than the playday before ;)

• Leferd, Karkarov, Justinian and 11 others like this

Fluffle

Fluffle

Fluffy Marshmallow of the Obsidian Order

• Members.
  • 933 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

But isn't it a bit strange when in a discussion you have both kinds of portraits? I don't think they compliment each other, do they?

LLaney

LLaney

Obsidian Alumni

• Members
  • 131 posts

But isn't it a bit strange when in a discussion you have both kinds of portraits? I don't think they compliment each other, do they?

The player character and companions will have their own watercolor style portraits that will be utilized in this UI. We all agree it looked very odd to have the fully painted portraits alongside the NPC portraits.

• Karkarov, AndreaColombo, Sedrefilos and 5 others like this

LordCrash

LordCrash

Grand Weresheep of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1153 posts
  • Steam:LordCrash88
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

In dialogue screens all portraits will be watercolor. Every companion will get a watercolor version of their normal portrait as well if I understood the concept properly.

Edit: Ninja'd by somebody with real insight.  :yes:

Edited by LordCrash, 31 January 2017 - 06:25 PM.

Fluffle

Fluffle

• Members.
  • 933 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Ah thanks for clearing that up. In the end it would mean we would see the fully painted portraits less often.

Ha sorry, I think then I'd prefer no watercolor portraits after all. However this is not a huge "problem" for me.

It's just a matter of preference.

And I feel like the fully painted portraits should never be replaced. I just like them too much ;)

Edited by Fluffle, 31 January 2017 - 06:32 PM.

• Ulicus likes this

LLaney

LLaney

Obsidian Alumni

• Members
  • 131 posts

Ah thanks for clearing that up. In the end it would mean we would see the fully painted portraits less often.

Ha sorry, I think then I'd prefer no watercolor portraits after all. However this is not a huge "problem" for me.

And I feel like the fully painted portraits should never be replaced. I just like them too much ;)

Someone is probably going to come after me for oversharing but I am FAIRLY certain you could replace the watercolor portrait with a (appropriately scaled & cropped) painted portrait as easily as you would override any portrait in POE1.

Time to leave before I say anything else!

• Karkarov, Bill Gates' Son, illathid and 11 others like this

Fluffle

Fluffle

• Members.
  • 933 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Someone is probably going to come after me for oversharing but I am FAIRLY certain you could replace the watercolor portrait with a (appropriately scaled & cropped) painted portrait as easily as you would override any portrait in POE1.

Yeah but then wouldn't you have both types of portraits in a dialogue again?

What I would like is to only see the fully painted portraits. So in other words, an option to switch the watercolor portraits completely off.

Edited by Fluffle, 31 January 2017 - 06:46 PM.

• Ulicus likes this

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10491 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Depending on how it's coded, it might be as simple as creating a blank watercolour portrait and using it to overwrite all watercolour portrait files, or something like that, if you were really determined to exorcise them.

• Fluffle and illathid like this

Silent Winter

Silent Winter

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1594 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

If it applies to PCs what happens when you have a custom portrait? Can you import a custom watercolor or do you get a blank head or...?

I guess it's the same case than BG with different size portraits. I gues you'll be able to change both your portraits since they are different files.

And how I'm gonna make meself a watercolor-style custom portrait using my other custom portrait? Not everyone's that handy with pix software.

check out Fotosketcher (free software) - takes a little fiddling, but no real talent, and can produce some good results

(though admittedly not quite the same style as the examples shown as it doesn't provide the black outlining)

Edited by Silent Winter, 31 January 2017 - 07:06 PM.

• Messier-31 likes this

anameforobsidian

anameforobsidian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1174 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Thanks for all the info! 

kingofabox

kingofabox

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

As long as the companions and other important characters get those beautiful portraits from poe1 I'm on board. I agree the water color portraits don't hold a candle to the companion portraits or icewind dale portraits. I'm assuming this is the only affordable way for them to get every quest giver one, which I love the idea. Here's hoping a later stretch goal gives all important npc's the higher quality portraits. 

• dukeisaac likes this

Archaven

Archaven

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1504 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

There are also hunderds of portraits we can find online which look very similar to PoE's style. Now, if watercolor portraits will be used in conversations for every companion, we basically won't be able to use external portraits, because only our PC won't have one. I do hope they will reconsider that or at least make it optional. Of course you can argue that it's not a big deal, but those small things can make or break immersion.

+1. i whole heartedly agree. it seems like this time around the visuals are more "cartoony" than the first PoE and now with that "water color" portraits goal. i'm getting worried at this point TBH.

• Aramintai likes this

Archaven

Archaven

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1504 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The player character and companions will have their own watercolor style portraits that will be utilized in this UI. We all agree it looked very odd to have the fully painted portraits alongside the NPC portraits.

I seriously dislike this. It's like BG1 -> BG2 all over again. I prefer portraits from BG1 more than BG2.

Aramintai

Aramintai

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1424 posts
  • Steam:Aramintai
  • PSN Portable ID:Aramintai
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I don't think I like this addition as it clashes with normal protagonist's and companions' portraits. What if I use (as I'm sure many other people as well) a custom portrait? How can I make a watercolor version of it for the dialogue? If you really set on doing this either paint all NPC's portraits normally or make some options in the game to choose what type of portrait (normal or watercolor) will be used in dialogue by the protagonist AND companions.

Archaven

Archaven

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1504 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I don't think I like this addition as it clashes with normal protagonist's and companions' portraits. What if I use (as I'm sure many other people as well) a custom portrait? How can I make a watercolor version of it for the dialogue? If you really set on doing this either paint all NPC's portraits normally or make some options in the game to choose what type of portrait (normal or watercolor) will be used in dialogue by the protagonist AND companions.

I would rather that the stretch goal they come out with more quality painted NPCs portrait than watercolor. But then again, the reason for a "water-colored" PC and NPC portrait could very closely match the visual artistic direction of the overall game. In other words where i most feared, it has became "more cartoony" than being more realistic. It's like what people complained about Diablo 3 art direction over the original Diablo 1 feel and settings.

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2905 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I seriously dislike this. It's like BG1 -> BG2 all over again. I prefer portraits from BG1 more than BG2.

Mike Sass made the portraits for The BG series. He went away from the BG1 style because they were actually modeled by Bioware employees. The internet was mean and made fun of their looks. So he changed them up for BG2. Improvements in my opinion.

But the IWD/IWD2 portraits by Jason Manley and Justin Sweet are the gold standard.
  • illathid likes this

Rabain

Rabain

Knight Hospitaller of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I like the idea of the watercolour portraits. I appreciate the desire to add more faces to the game.  However I can't help but feel that what a lot of these portraits lack is a background colour. Even if it was just a green or blue smudge it would help a lot to place the face in the picture.  Currently the pictures are a little too much like mugshots.  A background colour would give them depth.

Quillon

Quillon

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 639 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

In my experience the playday after we tested the NPC portraits was a lot more memorable than the playday before ;)

When you say playday I'm picturing something like:

PlaydayWeb2.jpg

Is that how it is?

Booooo! Buncha immature people making Pillars 2!

• InsaneCommander likes this

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5568 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Here are the images:

OYLX2n.png

While I do like them and I really want to see unique NPC portraits, I reckon they introduce a new cartoonish portrait tone to the game. It feels a bit like Tintin or something. I think it would be a mistake for this kind of game.

I'd actually prefer if the portraits were done in the same sketchy and "serious" style as the one used for image slide encounters that look like those 80's choose your adventure kind of books:

hqdefault.jpg

And the same kind of "serious" graphics are used in the in-game monster manual, as it were:

NOV140044-15._QL80_TTD_.jpg

The more I ponder over this, the more adamant I get. Heck, take a peek at my avatar portrait. That kind of style would be fine, not even a need for multicolour stuff. The sepia background should of course be kept.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot, 01 February 2017 - 03:21 AM.

• Silent Winter and InsaneCommander like this

LordCrash

LordCrash

Grand Weresheep of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1153 posts
  • Steam:LordCrash88
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

If anything, PoE needs to get even more serious. The normal standards for seriousness are not serious enough for a seriously serious game like PoE...

Oh, and of course serious serious means nothing else than pure and always dominating grim cold and grim dark. Avoid any bright colors, making the whole game in black and white or, making a small concession here, sepia would actually be truly serious so rather go for that.  Also avoid the depiction of happy or - God beware - even funny characters at all costs. Everything that looks even slightly cartoonish or fun is for small kids alone, serious adults don't have fun, they only ponder on abstract philosophical questions and they enjoy being depressed all the time.

/irony off

:cat: 

• IndiraLightfoot, Varana, illathid and 2 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: portraits, npc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users