edumication fael

Gromnir

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/colleges-enroll-students-arent-prepared-higher-education/

"But even four-year schools, which are more likely to have some admissions criteria, were not immune. In the California State University system, which admitted about 72 percent of first-time freshman applicants in 2014, more than 40 percent of incoming freshman were deemed not ready for college-level work in at least one subject. Nearly a quarter of incoming students at Colorado’s and Montana’s four-year schools were placed in remedial courses and about 30 percent were in Arkansas."

our public schools is failing our kids.

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"HA! Good fun!" is missing, and that makes "our public schools is failing our kids." stand out given the subject matter. :)

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

We need free and good public schools and universities for everyone. Education is the biggest factor for economic success, and thus it needs to be accessible for everyone, and not dependant on the wealth of your family. As long as only the children of the wealthy can go to Harvard, we as a society are doomed.

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

30% of Colorado & Montana's incoming freshmen were placed in Arkansas??? :lol:

Who they heck are you and how did you get Gromnir's password?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

60% is good enough. You guys need to focus on the alternative facts instead of the negative ones.

• Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Yeah KP is right! Most students are ok! To quote Judge Smails "The world needs ditch diggers too!" 

:lol:

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

30% of Colorado & Montana's incoming freshmen were placed in Arkansas??? :lol:

I guess she could use a remedial course in English.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Yeah KP is right! Most students are ok! To quote Judge Smails "The world needs ditch diggers too!" 

That's the problem, nobody is telling these kids they should be ditch diggers.  They can be anything they want if they go to community college. :p

But with a bit less snark, college is fairly accessible to almost any student coming out of High School. This is great because it offers opportunity to a diverse range of students instead just of the ones that come from specific socio-economic backgrounds. But it also means you are going to have a much wider range of academic abilities. Couple that with the fact public education has been doubling down on math, science, and language arts for decades and devaluing trade skills, and you have some issues.

Trying to convince my students that plumbers, electricians, and mechanics are not only important, but can make a lot of money is not an easy task. They get the exact opposite message from their parents and society as a whole. 

Wow the language of education has changed quite a bit in 122 years. I assume principle parts of a verb is a long way to say conjugation. What is the volume of a bushel of wheat? Heck I don't know. I could answer the second math question pretty easily if I did. The first math question is talking about the Associative and Distributive properties I guess. On number 9 how the heck many rods are in an acre? Uh oh... History question #3 is a no no. The Democrats won't want you discussing THAT with students!

The rest isn't too hard.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

That's the problem, nobody is telling these kids they should be ditch diggers.  They can be anything they want if they go to community college. :p

But with a bit less snark, college is fairly accessible to almost any student coming out of High School. This is great because it offers opportunity to a diverse range of students instead just of the ones that come from specific socio-economic backgrounds. But it also means you are going to have a much wider range of academic abilities. Couple that with the fact public education has been doubling down on math, science, and language arts for decades and devaluing trade skills, and you have some issues.

Trying to convince my students that plumbers, electricians, and mechanics are not only important, but can make a lot of money is not an easy task. They get the exact opposite message from their parents and society as a whole. 

Yeah no kidding. I went to a Community College for four years! And my career has been.... it's been.... well, I have one.

Thomas Sowell

Wow the language of education has changed quite a bit in 122 years. I assume principle parts of a verb is a long way to say conjugation. What is the volume of a bushel of wheat? Heck I don't know. I could answer the second math question pretty easily if I did. The first math question is talking about the Associative and Distributive properties I guess. On number 9 how the heck many rods are in an acre? Uh oh... History question #4 is a no no. The Democrats won't want you discussing THAT with students!

The rest isn't too hard.

Why is "Show the territorial growth of the United States." a no no?

Heja Sverige!!

Wow the language of education has changed quite a bit in 122 years. I assume principle parts of a verb is a long way to say conjugation. What is the volume of a bushel of wheat? Heck I don't know. I could answer the second math question pretty easily if I did. The first math question is talking about the Associative and Distributive properties I guess. On number 9 how the heck many rods are in an acre? Uh oh... History question #4 is a no no. The Democrats won't want you discussing THAT with students!

The rest isn't too hard.

Why is "Show the territorial growth of the United States." a no no?

Doh! Thanks. I fixed it. It was question 3.

Thomas Sowell

I'm still wondering, though.... :)

Heja Sverige!!

Can I be honest with you guys in the USA, I would be much concerned about the large numbers of adults in the USA  who reject certain social, economic and political realities  and instead embrace the world of alternative facts and post-truth  :geek:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

We went to war with the British over far fewer taxes and property rights violations than the US Government is hammering us with today.

Thomas Sowell

"HA! Good fun!" is missing, and that makes "our public schools is failing our kids." stand out given the subject matter. :)

we purposeful leave out signature for particular unfunny posts.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

We went to war with the British over far fewer taxes and property rights violations than the US Government is hammering us with today.

We do teach the Revolutionary War in 8th grade.  It's a big unit.  :p

0a8.jpg

Thomas Sowell

What is the volume of a bushel of wheat? Heck I don't know. I could answer the second math question pretty easily if I did. The first math question is talking about the Associative and Distributive properties I guess. On number 9 how the heck many rods are in an acre? Uh oh... History question #3 is a no no. The Democrats won't want you discussing THAT with students!

The rest isn't too hard.

Bushel is 2150.42  cu in. in the US.

I'm thinking they mean identity (a=a) symmetry (if a=b then b=a) and transitive (if a=b and b=c, then a=c) rather than the associative, distributive and commutative properties, which IIRC are more specifically tied to operations in algebra.

1 Acre is 160 square rod.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/colleges-enroll-students-arent-prepared-higher-education/

"But even four-year schools, which are more likely to have some admissions criteria, were not immune. In the California State University system, which admitted about 72 percent of first-time freshman applicants in 2014, more than 40 percent of incoming freshman were deemed not ready for college-level work in at least one subject. Nearly a quarter of incoming students at Colorado’s and Montana’s four-year schools were placed in remedial courses and about 30 percent were in Arkansas."

our public schools is failing our kids.

When I worked specifically with remediation at a college that had open admissions, ~60% of the incoming class were remedial and had been for at least 20-30 years.  However all that time spent working with remedial students (and indeed being a part of organizations tied to remediation) taught me that this isn't a new problem.  The part that's new(ish) is that the colleges themselves are being forced to handle the remediation (to some degree) rather than requiring the student complete a prep school after graduation from HS but before matriculation into the college which was more the norm back in the 1700s-1800s.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Can I be honest with you guys in the USA, I would be much concerned about the large numbers of adults in the USA  who reject certain social, economic and political realities  and instead embrace the world of alternative facts and post-truth  :geek:

The ones who don't agree with you you mean.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan