Feargus mentioned that you need the "end game save", so I would assume you can't import a save in the middle of the game. You still have a year until PoE2, that's plenty of time to finish the first game ;)

Edited by Eivenne

[Q&A with Josh] Just a small collection of informations:

- Weapon proficiencies confirmed. Proficiencies (naturally) will increase your accuracy with that weapon, but also enable modal trade-offs to choose from (as optional adjustments). Example: If you're using a Hunting Bow and you're taking profciency in them, you're able to unlock things like Rapid Shot

- Engagement is no longer a default feature and will be specific to a small number of classes (other classes rely on equipment/ weapons/ etc. for that). Breaking engagement will be punished harder.

- Dual-wielding Wands, Pistols, Scepters, Blunderbusses, Arquebuses etc. (or combinations of these) will be a thing, but "you're not exactly the most accurate character in the world" by doing so :w00t:

- There will be more humor as in the first game (but no "slapstick crazy stuff")

- Slow mode will be the new default mode in combat

- Game lenght will be roughly the same as in POE1

- Overall fewer combat encounters :getlost:

- Combat mechanics like flanking, friendly fire ( :wub: ) etc. likely to stay

- Optional scaling for the whole game (contrary to the system introduced with WM) at beginning of the game could become a possibility

- Multiclassed characters may choose subclasses for both classes

- There will be certain trade-offs for subclasses

- They'll try to carry over as many story talents (like Gift from the Machine) as possible in one form or another

- They're currently experimenting with the idea of injuries (received when a character gets knocked out) replacing the old Health/ Endurance system

Edited by L4wlight
  • Like 6

:skull: SHARKNADO :skull:

Josh just said on stream that they are moving more towards all abilities being per encounter, but with each character having a limited number of "empower" points per rest which can be spent to make abilities more powerful. This seems like a really nice way of solving the per rest/per encounter dichotomy.

• Like 6

Josh just said on stream that they are moving more towards all abilities being per encounter, but with each character having a limited number of "empower" points per rest which can be spent to make abilities more powerful. This seems like a really nice way of solving the per rest/per encounter dichotomy.

Oooo, I like that idea. In POE1, I always find myself using the per encounter abilities first because I don't want to waste my per day abilities, and then I end up resting before I've got through half my spells.

Oooo, I like that idea. In POE1, I always find myself using the per encounter abilities first because I don't want to waste my per day abilities, and then I end up resting before I've got through half my spells.

Agreed. On non-Vancian casters I rarely use per rest abilities at all, because I am always saving them for later. Big signature fights are pretty much the only exception.

I also like the flexibility. Having two empower points is much more useful than having two different abilities, each of which can be used once per rest.

By the way, it wasn't clear if this system would apply to the traditional Vancian casters, although Josh did use a fireball as an example so it seems like it might very well do.

• Like 2

- They're currently experimenting with the idea of injuries (received when a character gets knocked out) replacing the old Health/ Endurance system

Well that's a bummer. I thought the End/Health system was brilliant and reflected a core theory of how battles would play out in real life. I watched the video too and he mentioned "people were confused" by this and why it's [potentially] changing to the Injury system. I'm perplexed by this decision because the End/Health system seems it'll be rudimentary to a purely based Injury system.

Edited by Rolandur
  • Like 1

The old system was very interesting and I liked it a lot but I understand what he says about people not geting it. I was familiar with the system way before I played the game and I was ready for it. A friend if mine, experienced and hardcore crpg player didn't noticed/get it for some time when he started playing the game (he was not followin development as I did etc) untill I mentioned it. Nontheless, I'm interested in seeing the inury system and the new class per-rest resource mechanic as a means to rest.

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 1

The old system was very interesting and I liked it a lot but I understand what he says about people not geting it. I was familiar with the system way before I played the game and I was ready for it. A friend if mine, experienced and hardcore crpg player didn't noticed/get it for some time when he started playing the game (he was not followin development as I did etc) untill I mentioned it. Nontheless, I'm interested in seeing the inury system and the new class per-rest resource mechanic as a means to rest.

Aye, I'm not opposed to learning more about the Injury system but I have a feeling it's going to take away just glancing (1 second) at your health bar and determining your next action (be it starting another full battle or using other methods, such as kiting) to now having to check out every Injury icon (several seconds maybe even a minute or two) making sure it's not a certain injury for a specific class, cross referencing how it'll interact with party makeup, etc.

Edit: Don't get me wrong though I love the current PoE1 Injury system because it adds verisimilitude and a sense of urgency and enforces resource management but having it purely dictate the health system... I just have to see it I guess.

Edited by Rolandur

Sedrefilos, Eivenne and Rolandur: thanks for taking time to reply.

As am following the PoE2 news/threads with renewed interest, also agree that 12 months should be long enough to get back into the game and complete that da**ed remaining 20%!!

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg                            

Sedrefilos, Eivenne and Rolandur: thanks for taking time to reply.

As am following the PoE2 news/threads with renewed interest, also agree that 12 months should be long enough to get back into the game and complete that da**ed remaining 20%!!

Believe me, it's worth it. Pillars has one of the best endings (also pre-endings) of the genre imo. RPGs, as good as they may be as games, they usually don't have good endings (it's the adventure that counts! :p ). This also applies to White March. If you haven't played it and can afford it, I definetly propose you do it, since you haven't finished the basic game yet ;)

• Like 2

Oh no!  I like the Health/Endurance system!  It rocks!  Along with engagement, they seem to be considering getting rid off all the stuff I liked about the mechanics of PoE the most. :'(

• Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Updated OP with link to Q&A video in text form from kirottu's thread! Awsome job! :)

(The original thread: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/91394-twitch-qa-in-old-skool-text-form/)

This transcript actually has a lot of interesting information. I was particularly happy to see that something I posted for in the Fig forum is now on Josh's radar: having a UI screen in our stronghold where we can simultaneously access the inventories of all our companions and not just the ones in our party. :)

• Like 3

All of my questions from Twitter were answered :D

Now get me those cyan circles for neutral NPCs and random delay from click to walk so characters move more naturally XD

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

New mmorpg interview with some new info (form today, it's like the 3rd one they do since the start of the campaign).

Some info about consequences to POE1 decisions (gods, orlan baby, etc). Some explanation to the expanded reputation system which now include companions.

Fighter sub-class: Black Jacket (about using the right weapon for the job)

Rogue sub-class: Assassin (more glass-canon than the standard rogue, require more timing and positioning to be deadly)

• Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

"We've extended our reputation system to include reputations that our companions have with the player and with each other.  Their opinions change over time, progressing toward deeper relationships or simmering conflicts that can eventually boil over. The system is quite dynamic and should add a lot of depth and reactivity to companions in the story."

This sounds really promising. I like approval systems, but they can feel limited in reactivity. Something with more axes and based around the existing reputation system might work well.

Edited by Lamppost in Winter

This sounds really promising. I like approval systems, but they can feel limited in reactivity. Something with more axes and based around the existing reputation system might work well.

Agreed! One of the disappointing things about companions in PoE was that (apart from Durance and GM) as soon as you met them you could burn through all their character dialogue. I think it would be very cool if the amount that each companion was willing to reveal about themselves grew as they travelled with the Watcher and gained his/her trust.

• Like 2

Updated OP with 2 links about the new reputation system and about proficiencies and skills.

Increased duties in work and personal life had me occupied last few days so I couldn't keep up as much as I wanted and this might continue from so on. Anyhow, I'll keep updating OP with whatever new info I gather; feel free to post any new stuff I'll probably miss :)

Edited by Sedrefilos

In cases where the Watcher does something deceptive/shady, we’re trying to avoid increasing that disposition if no one would be the wiser about it down the road.

Makes a lot of sense.

Although no skyrim chickens please :)

The larger change to the reputation system is that companions track their opinions of both you and each other. Companions interject more often in Deadfire than they did in Pillars

Interjections/banter was a thing I liked in NWN2 and DA series. Glad to have more of them in PoE2.
  • Like 4