Will POE2 have a shorter dev time?

When it is done it is done, but I'm seriously dreading another 2 and a half years of waiting through unrelenting hype like last time. But since they have their systems established, and seem to be further ahead than last time, do you think Obsidian is actually on track for Q1 2018?

While the dev time they have given doesn't seem any shorter they have already been working on it for a year already.  They are estimating Q1 2018 so one year from now, adding on another six months for delays and you have the same dev time as PoE1 but only been waiting a year and a half.

• Like 3

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

They are working on it for at least year.

They already have some assets and concept work.

And knowhow how the project works, and which elements are infinite abyss for devtime.

Stretch goals so far are safe bets.

Increasing devtime after 2018Q1 would undermine fig scheme, OE would avoid that, like it or not.

Edited by evilcat

Yeah, as people above have said, they have been working on it for a while already. That said, most games nowadays,(at least it seems like it) get delayed. I'd definitely expect it before mid 2018. I'm hopeful about q1, but realistically can see it being delayed by a couple of months.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Based on what Sawyer and the rest of the team have said in the director's commentary and The Road to Eternity, it seems that unfamiliarity to the engine and to softwares such as Maya and the likes played a big part in the delay. You can hear Josh commenting on how certain sections, animations and the likes took them ages to figure out at first which would have now been pretty easy and straightforward to do. And I also feel it will largely depend on the stretch goals for the Fig campaign - I reckon that dealing with 15-level dungeons and a second big city was most likely a pain and a burden on the development time that won't happen this time around either.

Of course, I'm only making suppositions with all of this. I reckon it could get delayed but I doubt it'll be for more than a semestre or so.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

While the dev time they have given doesn't seem any shorter they have already been working on it for a year already.  They are estimating Q1 2018 so one year from now, adding on another six months for delays and you have the same dev time as PoE1 but only been waiting a year and a half.

This. They have been working on the game over a year. Pre-production on the project has started "a long time ago" and they've had time to figure things out properly this time around. Not to mention the engine is now familiar to most of the team from both Pillars 1 and Tyranny and the development team is bigger than it was for the first game.

I would imagine that they won't be putting in stretch goals to the game that would move their release date by a year like it did last time.

Hate the living, love the dead.

I would imagine that they won't be putting in stretch goals to the game that would move their release date by a year like it did last time.

Even if they don't get heavy handed with stretch goals, but they still make more funds than last time... I would want it pushed back a bit in order to flesh out everything. If they continue on the rate of funding they are on then we will exceed the first game. Id like more enemies, better companion reactivity, and other general improvements vs having this game by Q1 2018. YMMV.

I think they are saving the really juicy stretch goals for the $2-3 million stretch, but I could definitely be wrong.

• Like 1

And even if they save more content-heavy stretch goals for later, they'll know what they're doing, and will have planned for that. Last time, they just pulled stretch goals out of their behinds, and all these things - stronghold, certain levels of Caed Nua, and Twin Elms - suffered because of that.

• Like 3

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

I suspect they'll be better with planning and scheduling this time around.

Even if they're not, it's gonna be a lot easier to plan and schedule. Engine in place, mechanics in place, asset production pipeline in place, editors in place etc. That cuts down the number of unknown unknowns to near-insignificance, and they're the stuff that'll throw your budget and schedule out of whack.

• Like 5

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com