Character Death in Combat Needs to be improved, methinks

I've just started to play PoE1 again, and noticed something that did annoy me slightly before, and it feels worse now:

characters dying in the midst of combat.

What happens is....

Well, next to nothing. No dying scenes, no special final cry, like "Avenge me, brethren!".

All that happens is that you may or may not notice that the portrait of the death-struck character suddenly disappears, no sound, nada.

Not even a skull-n-crossed-bones portrait replacing it. It's simply disintegrated, and no other characters react. They don't even flinch.

Business as usual. Chop on, sling spells...

This nonsense must cease.

Please, bring us much clearer deaths of characters in combat. 

Use the portrait, use voice lines, use animations, sound effects, but let it be obvious that one of our characters succumbed.

EDIT: My entire party this time is composed of my own home-rolled inn-companions!

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I thought the quest notifier popping up/scroll unrolling in the upper left corner (e.g. "Fragments of a Scattered Faith" for Edér) accompanied by other companions lamenting (or making snarky comments) for their fellow comrade's untimely demise was obvious enough.

I thought the quest notifier popping up/scroll unrolling in the upper left corner (e.g. "Fragments of a Scattered Faith" for Edér) accompanied by other companions lamenting (or making snarky comments) for their fellow comrade's untimely demise was obvious enough.

Interesting. I haven't played PoE for quite a while, so this time I opted for a party made entirely by myself - inn buddies. Perhaps there are death notifications, if you pick up Grieving Mother or Sagani.

My point still stands, though, for all those companions.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

If you have official companions they will shout something like "Oh no, Aloth's down!" or similar stuff.

But you are right - it could be more obvious. Several times, when I startet with PoE, I won an encounter and smiled... before I realized that somebody was missing who got maimed, rose again because of second chance, then got killed and silently disappeared. :)

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

If you have official companions they will shout something like "Oh no, Aloth's down!" or similar stuff.

But you are right - it could be more obvious. Several times, when I startet with PoE, I won an encounter and smiled... before I realized that somebody was missing who got maimed, rose again because of second chance, then got killed and silently disappeared. :)

That's more or less what happened. They entire party had survived without any casualties for hours of game play and several levels, but then at the end of a fight, I was like taken aback. Hmm, one portrait's missing here. Hmm... I had to scroll down the combat info window to see what had happened.

I propose you can arrange funerals for your dead party members!

Especially, if you don't want them anymore, hehe.

I always liked those tomb stones in Titan Quest that show you where you character fell in battle.