Politics 2017 part II

Ben No.3

Wow I'm loving all the Dune references popping up lately.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Great opinion piece: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/feb/7/george-orwells-1984-book-awakens-liberals/

I must admit I find the irony of the left "rediscovering" Orwell, Huxley, & Sinclair to be as thick as buttercream frosting. After years, hell, generations of enthusiastically advocating  for a near totalitarian Federal Government that ignored it's Constitutional restraints and ruthlessly prosecuted political dissent (not with prisons or labor camps but with the IRS) all while spying on the communications of every American the left is waking up. Now that someone they don't like is in full control of this monster they have created they are railing against the dangers of overreach.

I'd be more encouraged except that I know nothing has changed. They read books like 1984 and don't see themselves in it, only the politics they don't like. And the right is the same I'm sorry to say. Oh there has been some vocal dissent in the Congress to what Trump is doing . That at least is better then the fawning praise Obama received when he ignored the 10th Amendment, the 5th Amendment, the 4th Amendment, the 2nd Amendment, and helped Congress warp the Commerce Clause into something unrecognizable. But as I've said many times the real danger of overreach is when people like the outcome.

Even the right of center members of this board like WoD (who is no fool despite the grief he takes here) should be doubly  suspicious of Trump given his background and his politics looks to be giving the government the benefit of the doubt when it's his "side" in control. The truth is they are ALL villains. The may not start out that way but the notion of "forcing" you to do something because they know best for you is  no less terrible no matter who is doing  it. Restricting the freedom, movements, access to information and knowledge or economic opportunities of US Citizens and legal US residents and visitors is terrible no matter who is doing it. Infringing on rights (which, as is enshrined right in that annoying Constitution) do not come from Governments or anyone else but from God and are yours from the moment you are born, is a terrible thing.

I'm glad to see the left "re-discovering" the evils of totalitarianism (even in small amounts... a nibble of poison is still poison) but I'm not hopeful they will learn from it. The left more than anyone else still suffers from Hayek's "Fatal Conceit": they believe they are smarter than everyone else,  better educated than everyone else, therefor they should rule everyone else.

OK, that is my morning rant. Carry on everyone.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

My staff room has been fairly insufferable lately with the Betsy Davos appointment. It's the end of times! Nobody seems to like my solution, which is maybe we shouldn't even have the Federal government so involved in public education?

I just eat my lunch, keep my head down, and occasionally tell people to listen to my podcast.

• Like 3

Great opinion piece: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/feb/7/george-orwells-1984-book-awakens-liberals/

I must admit I find the irony of the left "rediscovering" Orwell, Huxley, & Sinclair to be as thick as buttercream frosting. After years, hell, generations of enthusiastically advocating for a near totalitarian Federal Government that ignored it's Constitutional restraints and ruthlessly prosecuted political dissent (not with prisons or labor camps but with the IRS) all while spying on the communications of every American the left is waking up. Now that someone they don't like is in full control of this monster they have created they are railing against the dangers of overreach.

I'd be more encouraged except that I know nothing has changed. They read books like 1984 and don't see themselves in it, only the politics they don't like. And the right is the same I'm sorry to say. Oh there has been some vocal dissent in the Congress to what Trump is doing . That at least is better then the fawning praise Obama received when he ignored the 10th Amendment, the 5th Amendment, the 4th Amendment, the 2nd Amendment, and helped Congress warp the Commerce Clause into something unrecognizable. But as I've said many times the real danger of overreach is when people like the outcome.

Even the right of center members of this board like WoD (who is no fool despite the grief he takes here) should be doubly suspicious of Trump given his background and his politics looks to be giving the government the benefit of the doubt when it's his "side" in control. The truth is they are ALL villains. The may not start out that way but the notion of "forcing" you to do something because they know best for you is no less terrible no matter who is doing it. Restricting the freedom, movements, access to information and knowledge or economic opportunities of US Citizens and legal US residents and visitors is terrible no matter who is doing it. Infringing on rights (which, as is enshrined right in that annoying Constitution) do not come from Governments or anyone else but from God and are yours from the moment you are born, is a terrible thing.

I'm glad to see the left "re-discovering" the evils of totalitarianism (even in small amounts... a nibble of poison is still poison) but I'm not hopeful they will learn from it. The left more than anyone else still suffers from Hayek's "Fatal Conceit": they believe they are smarter than everyone else, better educated than everyone else, therefor they should rule everyone else.

Your post was better than that linked article. Looking at the author's past entries was a bit of a laugh.

Here everyone is fairly liberal so political talk is rather boring as it's just going over what idiocy Trump has decided to spout overnight. Well except for one guy that is constantly bashing on everything being fake news (Rob Ford fan).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My staff room has been fairly insufferable lately with the Betsy Davos appointment. It's the end of times! Nobody seems to like my solution, which is maybe we shouldn't even have the Federal government so involved in public education?

I just eat my lunch, keep my head down, and occasionally tell people to listen to my podcast.

Totally agree. If there is cause to fear someone in a political office, that political office has WAY too much power.

Thomas Sowell

I must admit I find the irony of the left "rediscovering" Orwell, Huxley, & Sinclair to be as thick as buttercream frosting. After years, hell, generations of enthusiastically advocating  for a near totalitarian Federal Government that ignored it's Constitutional restraints and ruthlessly prosecuted political dissent (not with prisons or labor camps but with the IRS) all while spying on the communications of every American the left is waking up. Now that someone they don't like is in full control of this monster they have created they are railing against the dangers of overreach.

Even the right of center members of this board like WoD (who is no fool despite the grief he takes here) should be doubly  suspicious of Trump given his background and his politics looks to be giving the government the benefit of the doubt when it's his "side" in control. The truth is they are ALL villains. The may not start out that way but the notion of "forcing" you to do something because they know best for you is  no less terrible no matter who is doing  it. Restricting the freedom, movements, access to information and knowledge or economic opportunities of US Citizens and legal US residents and visitors is terrible no matter who is doing it. Infringing on rights (which, as is enshrined right in that annoying Constitution) do not come from Governments or anyone else but from God and are yours from the moment you are born, is a terrible thing.

I'm glad to see the left "re-discovering" the evils of totalitarianism (even in small amounts... a nibble of poison is still poison) but I'm not hopeful they will learn from it. The left more than anyone else still suffers from Hayek's "Fatal Conceit": they believe they are smarter than everyone else,  better educated than everyone else, therefor they should rule everyone else.

GD is this the guilt post where you finally admit " BruceVC was right, I should never have voted for a third party and allowed Trump to win "  :biggrin:

Trump has really not been so bad in my assessment, especially around foreign policy. Some of his appointments like Mattis have really made some good decisions and followed prudent choices around international issues

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I think you can understand why someone like me would find little joy in a Hillary Clinton Presidency. Choosing your tyrant isn't a choice. To tell the truth I'd sooner have Trump because I did like the Gorsuch pick. President's come and go, judges are for life.

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

For the bit that kind of hovers somewhere between Politics, Weird Things, News, and Funny things...

Seattle - Police release man arrested in shooting

Although it's nice to hear from the University President on one issue that seems to a losing battle these days:

“There is the legal right of our student groups to invite speakers, even a controversial one whose message is anathema to many, including me,’’ she wrote. “We are bound by the law. But beyond that, canceling the event would have sent the message that a risk of disruption or conflict can be used to overwhelm our rights. That would empower those on the extremes willing to resort to such tactics.”

And for a comment made by a certain right-wing author I know.. (which does make me chuckle just a wee bit):

What happened in Seattle?

While everyone has been focused on Berkeley, I've been wondering what happened with the shooting in Seattle.

What was reported (eventually) at the time. (Essentially all reporting has ceased in regular sources, BTW.)

A man was shot.

The man was white.

The shooter was Asian.

The shooter claimed 'self-defense' because he feared the man was a 'white supremacist.'

The police/DA ruled at the time probable self-defense and released the shooter.

The widely held assumption was that the man shot was a Milo Supporter who got mouthy or even aggressive. Even most on the right were under the assumption.

The story disappeared. (Which seemed odd to me if the shooter was an 'actual' white supremacist (KKK, Aryan Nation) or even a Milo Supporter 'and therefore a white supremacist and a hate monger and anti-gay' (Note for those who don't keep up with Milo: He's an openly gay, Jewish, immigrant who is sometimes a little off the wall but generally on point.))

Oh, wait: Here's why it dropped out of the news!

https://www.crowdrise.com/medical-fundraiser-for-iww-and-gd…

The guy was a 'Antifa' Leftist rioter there to attack Milo supporters and got a random Asian guy who was well dressed (and therefore 'wrong') instead.

WHOOT FOR THE SECOND AMENDMENT!

And please don't send this **** money for his hospital bills. He got less than he deserved.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Choosing your tyrant isn't a choice.

two things we can at least agree on; this and that planet of the apes was a fine picture.
  • Like 1

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

two things we can at least agree on; this and that planet of the apes was a fine picture.

By that I hope you mean the first one with Charleton Heston! The rest, including the modern versions.... not so much.

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell

By that I hope you mean the first one with Charleton Heston! The rest, including the modern versions.... not so much.

It's a reference

https://youtu.be/ovPGYPzpbWk

And everybody knows

That at least is better then the fawning praise Obama received when he ignored the 10th Amendment, the 5th Amendment, the 4th Amendment, the 2nd Amendment, and helped Congress warp the Commerce Clause into something unrecognizable.

The warping of the Commerce Clause took place back in the 30's, when the Supreme Court made such decisions as a farmer who doesn't participate in interstate commerce still participates, since refusal to participate is a form of participation.

Even the right of center members of this board like WoD (who is no fool despite the grief he takes here) should be doubly  suspicious of Trump given his background and his politics looks to be giving the government the benefit of the doubt when it's his "side" in control.

Actually I give the benefit of the doubt to both sides.

The truth is they are ALL villains. The may not start out that way but the notion of "forcing" you to do something because they know best for you is  no less terrible no matter who is doing  it.

There's no government without coercion. The real question is whether it's legal and justified.

Restricting the freedom, movements, access to information and knowledge or economic opportunities of US Citizens and legal US residents and visitors is terrible no matter who is doing it. Infringing on rights (which, as is enshrined right in that annoying Constitution) do not come from Governments or anyone else but from God and are yours from the moment you are born, is a terrible thing.

Meh, very hyperbolic there. Once again, visitors don't have any right to visit, others you mentioned are protected by law. Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

And for non-American politics..

Vladimir Putin has approved a legal change that reduces the penalties for domestic abuse. The offense was changed from a criminal to a civil matter in cases where there are no "broken bones" and have taken place once a year.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Carly Fiorina is going to run for Senate in Virginia in 2018 apparently. She ran for Senate and President from California and then moved to Virginia I guess. 

Does anyone suppose her luggage was made out of carpet cloth?

I do hope someone other than Hurlshot gets that...

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Carly Fiorina is going to run for Senate in Virginia in 2018 apparently. She ran for Senate and President from California and then moved to Virginia I guess. 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I mean, it's not like it's a TOTALLY obscure term... :p

(e): In fact, I think Hillary Clinton was called a carpetbagger for when she was a New York senator (even though this misses much of the historical connotation)...it's not totally out of use yet.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Human skin more likely.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Ein_syrisches_Kind_tot_am_Strand.jpg

563664c4-a490-4833-89af-72770a0a0a6c-3-w

aktuelle-lage-neue-schock-fotos-aus-alep

erneut-krankenhaus-in-aleppo-bombardiert

36111702_401.jpg

34651374,38394454,highRes,000_DA3ZS.jpg

Let me just remind you that it is these people you're denying help and these children you're denying a future.

Edited by Ben No.3

And everybody knows

And? Should I now suddenly feel also bad that I could not save Ancient Egypt? It's their culture, their area and their country. If they want better life, they should work for it there.

Do you have any idea how disgusting that is to say? There are people suffering. We all have no idea of the agony they have to go through. All they ask for is a second shot at life, and you are denying it out of some self righteous egocentric mindset?

And everybody knows

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Let me get this straight....

Caring about people is now an evil weapon of te left?

So much for your Christian culture you're so deadest on defending. I'm sure Jesus would be proud of you!

And everybody knows