Poll on preferred party size

A Poll on Party Size  

399 members have voted

1. 1. What party size would you prefer?

• 4 (as per Tyranny)
    • 5 (as suggested for PoE II)
    • 6 (as per PoE I and all past IE titles)
    • No preference

They don't explain here 'cause updates regarding that matter are coming up next week. Why should devs come and explain here before they've shown how their design works? Not everybody thinks as some in here.

If that was the case devs shouldn't talk about that matter ANYWHERE before they come up with the update. It makes no sense just to be silent on your own place while spilling all the information somewhere else on the web. 

It makes a lot of sense 'cause there they are talking about; here they'd be like they have to explain every fetish everyone has about anything in the game in a defensive yet diplomatic way. I know I'd do the same if I was in their shoes.

But I believe thy'll do eventually at least at some point. My guess is, and that's what I'm axplaining again and again in here, they will make detailed video updates though the week as there is weekend now and they also work. Don't forget the campaign started at Thurday - end of week.

Edited by Sedrefilos

Completely open to 5 party members if it means the mob sizes are scaled appropriately for that.

If we do end up with 5 hopefully it also means more tactical and strategic fight encounters with smaller mob sizes essentially more intimate combat.

• Like 3

Completely open to 5 party members if it means the mob sizes are scaled appropriately for that.

If we do end up with 5 hopefully it also means more tactical and strategic fight encounters with smaller mob sizes essentially more intimate combat.

1 on 1 offers intimate combat. Just try Dark Souls. :p

35167v4.jpg

So where is the poll option "I don't mind the party size"? :p

I have played RPGs with just 1 companion, with 2 companions, 3,4, 5.

For me that has never been the decisive element of the respective game that decided whether I enjoy the game or not.

And in this concrete context we are talking about, it's 1 active party member less.

There's no way that could influence the fun I am going to have if PoE2 is at least as great a game as PoE 1 is.

So yeah, I don't mind.

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 2

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Feargus

DEVELOPER

It is hard to list all the areas that are or are not open to feedback. I can say the party being five people is something we will stick with. For everything else, just ask - some stuff we will be able to chat about other stuff we won't. However, most things in a game can be nudged in one direction or another - which is usually what we are talking about.

Could someone ask in the Fig comments if it will be possible to mod 6 party members instead of 5? I haven't backed yet so I can't do that myself. Too bad no one from Obsidian is posting on the official forum. 

So where is the poll option "I don't mind the party size"? :p

There's no such an option 'cause the thread's purpose it show the developers that "the people" demand a 6-character party because yeah! :p

Can you be any more obtuse?

Once again, I'll reiterate. The poll question was simple as I gave it, but seeing as how you seem to be having difficulty figuring it out, I'll put it in different words. Here we go: what size party do you prefer, given the choice between 4, 5, and 6?

At no point was the poll written to suggest "I DEMAND 6 MEMBER PARTIES!!" or any such nonsense. I expressed my opinion/preference in my POST (separate from the poll, in case that eluded you).

As for the lack of the option for "I don't mind the party size", it's not an option because that's not what the question was! The question was what number a voter PREFERS. And seeing as how 5 is the number they've announced for PoE II, and 5 happens to be an option in the poll, there IS an "I don't mind the party size" option: it's called "5"!

I apologize for coming across as condescending and/or confrontational, but my original reasons for posting the poll had no agenda other than trying to see what sizes others prefer. I expressed my opinions for preferring 6 in my post. I don't appreciate the insinuation that I submitted the poll/post as some kind of attack on Obsidian.

Edited by Lanyon

I can certainly try as you will bear witness.

So the options for the party size are: 4,5 and 6.

And given those choices I am asked what size I would prefer.

And being obtuse the way I am I answer: I do not have any preference given the above choices.

Now, where is that option in the poll?

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

I can certainly try as you will bear witness.

So the options for the party size are: 4,5 and 6.

And given those choices I am asked what size I would prefer.

And being obtuse the way I am I answer: I do not have any preference given the above choices.

Now, where is that option in the poll?

Sorry to mix you up in this Fluffle, my obtuse comment was not directed at you. But since you've explained that given the choice between 4, 5, and 6, you truly have no preference between the 3, I've added the option to the poll for you. Thanks for participating!

• Like 1

I voted 6. TBH we don't even need this poll to begin with. Just allow for 6 party characters. Devs can recommend that 5 is the best recommended party. No need handcuffing and shackles. Or make it an option in menus to allow 6. I don't see any problem with 6, gameplay-wise TBH. It could be a technical or performance issue with 6 for weaker PCs. But then again.. there's no reason in hardcapping this.  It's just like imposing 30FPS limit on PC games when there are PC configurations can max out 60FPS. Just dont efking limit it.

I would vote for 6, but I think I will hold off until I hear more details on certain aspects such as whether Companions for specific quests count against the limit or not.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Even as a infinity Engine veteran i'm curious to try a 5 man party.

I feel the same. I know I hate 4 man parties because they stifle interesting party compositions, but I "think" 5 might be enough. I'd like to try it out before shouting that the sky is falling.

Voted no preference but really, I'm fine with either 5 or 6.

4 is definitely two low and I did not like it in Tyranny.

But I trust Josh 100% that his reasonings for 5 are well thought out and that he can come up with a balance in classes and encounters that make the most out of it.

I'm with general_azure on this one.

The discussion has been almost exclusively centred on tactics and combat. For that, I have no real preference between 5 and 6.

For party composition in terms of dialogue and companions, however, I very much prefer 6. (Or more, but then combat becomes unwieldy, so it's a compromise.) More interaction within the party, more options for party-NPC interaction, and the luxury of one or two "silent" companions (hired adventurers) for combat reasons without missing out on too much.

Alternatively, the DA:O way of having a camp that you visit often and regularly with all your companions together. (Not like Brighthollow, where you parked them in separate rooms behind a lot of running and two (!) loading screens.)

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

Even as a infinity Engine veteran i'm curious to try a 5 man party.

You still can with a 6 party limit. There's no one in stopping you for doing so. That's the opposite if you want to try a 6 party character which is the normal number of characters in all old school IE games even PoE. This game design decision doesn't make sense. It's probably not a game design issue.. it's just that they dont want to be frank about it IMO. It's exactly as they dont want to explain why 3 of your returning companions are returning to level 1 too for no lore reason.

Edited by Archaven

While admittedly I was off-put by the drop from 6 to 5, ultimately if the game is better for it, how can I argue against it?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man