I 'd like to see romance somehow incorporated into Deadfire.  

I mean, it wouldn't have to be a major deal.  It could be the Watcher can grow closer to major NPCs and might turn into something more by the end of the story (see Mina in Alpha Protocol)

• Like 1

Arrr thar be only one romance this here game be having: the love between a man and his ship!  Exotic, erotic love that can only be truly expressed by mounting the wooden lady and gettin' splinters all over a man's sword!

• Like 3

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

... a man's sword!

You mean his other "staff" ;)

As long as it has a knobly bit on the end like a proper wizard's staff!

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I want romance. Come on baby, light my Deadfire.

Put romance in a stretchgoal and I will raise my pledge. You have to do it right though. No last minute feature implemented just to shut up nerds like me who won't stop bitching about free love in CRPGs.

Romance is a large part of relationships, and since RPGs often focus on these relationships including romance is natural. I think that not including it at all is just as bad as fetishizing it, both fail to accurately represent the reality of interperson interactions. Even though I do like Bioware RPGs they've too often fell into the trap of creating characters that feel incomplete without romantic interaction and I don't want Obsidian to make the same mistakes.

Pillars 1 isn't that bad with it, because while the PC had very little option for romantic conversation certain companions picked it up for example Hiravias to Pallegina and Kana Rua to Maneha. On the otherhand New Vegas had characters that were clearly written with romance in mind but it was later cut, which lead to several of them having incomplete character arcs.

• Like 1

Upon putting thoughts in romance.. and in view of current trending about LGBT and feminism, i would vote "No romance". These vocal groups of people were known for stirring issues with their ideology that games were not inclusive and indirectly mistreating them. I personally love romance, but i know where this all leads to.

Upon putting thoughts in romance.. and in view of current trending about LGBT and feminism, i would vote "No romance". These vocal groups of people were known for stirring issues with their ideology that games were not inclusive and indirectly mistreating them. I personally love romance, but i know where this all leads to.

“Vocal groups” will exists regardless of what you do or don’t. You might as well stop making games if that’s going to stop you.

• Like 5

Pillars of Bugothas

EDIT: Never mind. I'd rather not get involved in romance discussion after all.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 4

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

“Vocal groups” will exists regardless of what you do or don’t. You might as well stop making games if that’s going to stop you.

Whether you like it or not.. this is how the current gaming industry is. Many developers and publishers were intimidated in social media and all were forced to bow to these "vocal groups". Don't forget Obsidian was once the victim on PoE on the backer phrase and forced to remove it.

• Like 3

Whether you like it or not.. this is how the current gaming industry is. Many developers and publishers were intimidated in social media and all were forced to bow to these "vocal groups". Don't forget Obsidian was once the victim on PoE on the backer phrase and forced to remove it.

The backer wanted it changed though, Obsidian merely complied with his request. Also, I'd love to have have more representation. Always nice to see myself represented :)  The annoying part is when it is implemented and idiots go " Oooh noez, Obzidien haz gon SJW." 

• Like 1

I'd probably cancel my pledge if they decided to incorporate Dragon Age or Mass Effect style "Romance". In my opinion that would be a terrible waste of resources.

Besides, I'm pretty sure the point of these games is to be as unlike Bioware "RPG's" as possible.

Baldur's Gate did it and did it well.

That being said it almost doesn't matter, they're planning on making character relationships (not romantic relationships)  much deeper and more reactive.

• Like 1

I'd probably cancel my pledge if they decided to incorporate Dragon Age or Mass Effect style "Romance". In my opinion that would be a terrible waste of resources.

Besides, I'm pretty sure the point of these games is to be as unlike Bioware "RPG's" as possible.

Baldur's Gate did it and did it well.

That being said it almost doesn't matter, they're planning on making character relationships (not romantic relationships)  much deeper and more reactive.

I wouldn't cancel it but I would definitely be annoyed if they make all the companions romanceable regardless of the player's race and gender.

Really removes some character in my opinion.