Making the "Black Isle Bastards" come true! Crowd funding a pirate crew!

The 'bastards' are a cloistered, wealthy group of bored individuals that naively romanticise piracy

1) I got this really funny image of 4-8 characters sitting around a wooden table, on wooden chairs, playing a game of cards or something, and discuss the various subjects of life and death (philosophy)~ you can't speak to them, as they're basically just staring out into blank space, rambling (text bubbles/lines above their heads). A random encounter, or if you fulfill some conditions (e.g. "If Player goes from A to B around 20:00 and 24:00, the Player has a chance to encounter the Black Isle"). Something like this.

​2) They could also be a branch of the secret Obsidian Order (or deserters, or even seekers), and the island is reaaaalllyyyy hard to even find. Also a random encounter or event.

​3) Another theme, a much darker theme, is that they could be stranded, 4-8 NPC's (Black Isle Bastards)? Banished on this island and left to die. Them being the "Bastards" and the island having some sort of "Mark" or "Forbidden Entry" symbols, hence "The Black Isle". A cursed island in the tongue of the Deadfire Archipelago~

What if that could be a time-based thing? If the Player finds them early, there's 8 NPC's, and if you find them late, there might either be a single one left, or maybe even piles of bone. If there's 4 or less NPC's left, some will be hostile raging and frothing cannibals. Or maybe even just 4-8 souls that only the Watcher can see, ghosts~

​A different for each state of "When you find them", example below:

​8 NPC's left: Friendly

7 NPC's left: Ashamed

​6 NPC's left: 1 hostile/crazed (attacking), rest is ashamed

​5 NPC's left: 3 hostile/crazed, 2 are roped

​4 NPC's left: 3 hostile/crazed, 1 roped

​3 NPC's left: 2 hostile/crazed, 1 roped (hostile when freed)

​2 NPC's left: 1 hostile/crazed, 1 roped (hostile when freed)

​1 NPC left: hostile

Edited by Osvir

Another theme is that they could be stranded, 4-8 NPC's? What if that could be a time-based thing? If the Player finds them early, there's 8 NPC's, and if you find them late, there might either be a single on left, or even piles of bone.

Thumbs up for that.

---

We're all doomed

​2) They could also be a branch of the secret Obsidian Order (or maybe even deserters/prisoners), and the island is reaaaalllyyyy hard to even find. Also a random encounter or event.

Well concerning the idea that the Black Isle Bastards are a part of the Obsidian Order:

Personally, I would like to put the Obsidian Order to rest at this point. The idea that the pirates are part of the order has been proposed several times.

Especially when we voted on the name of our pirate crew, see here.

But in the end the majority decided against a name that contained the Obsidian Order.

As always it's just my personal opinion. I think the Obsidian Order was a very great, awesome thing BACK THEN. As you can see on my forum title I did participate and I loved it back then. But at some point it is time to put something to rest and move on. Because you may overuse an idea and then it can become stale.

So to my mind, our pirate crew should have nothing to do with the Obsidian Order. And I do not think that you actually want the Obsidian Order so much to come back but more the spirit of the community that founded that order - I may be wrong though.

So instead I would like the Black Isle Bastards to be built upon this spirit of a community working together for a greater goal.

• Like 1

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

​3) Another theme is that they could be stranded, 4-8 NPC's? What if that could be a time-based thing? If the Player finds them early, there's 8 NPC's, and if you find them late, there might either be a single one left, or maybe even piles of bone. If there's 4 or less NPC's left, they'll be hostile cannibals. Or maybe even just 4-8 souls that only the Watcher can see, ghosts~

So I assume if they are stranded, their is ship is broken in some way? Because the Fig tier does also include a ship.

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Yes. I was thinking outside the box. In a sort of "Is a Ship really required?" kind of way. No ship at all, just 0-8 hungry sailors on a tiny island.

​EDIT:
​However, what happened to their ship? Lost at sea. Regardless if you go there when there's 0-8 NPC's, there could be a single loot spot, where there's a schematic for the Player ship (an obsidian black color schematic, purely cosmetic, or some standard-generic upgrade). IF​ the Player gets a ship in Deadfire, IF​ said ship has upgrade components.

​Or the ship is still drifting at sea, and to trigger "finding it", you'd have to find the Black Isle first.

Edited by Osvir

Ideas, so far. They're not necessarily mutually exclusive.

A) How the player can interact with the pirates:
1.) The BIB are a VERY TOUGH optional fight, obviously with some nice treasure as reward
2.) The BIB are some kind of merchants with who you can trade
3.) You can become an honorific member of the BIB in the game

4.) You help the BIB to deal with some kind of problem

5.) No interaction possible with them in any way, just observing them

B) Background story of the pirates

1.) The BIB are retired pirates who run an inn in their old ship on Black Isle
2.) The BIB are some kind of failed "wanna-be" pirates
3.) The BIB are retired corporate raiders who used their wealth to buy an island
4.) The BIB are mutineers
5.) The BIB are former slaves
6.) The BIB are privateers of the Free Palatinate of Dyrwood tasked with raiding Aedyr ships

7.) The BIB are nobles who fight for the cause of common people

If I missed any idea, feel free to remind me ;)

Edited by Fluffle

The bastards are actually... bastards... of noble families and such. At least that's their history.

I have a lore question about this. Are bastards treated the same way in Eora as we think they are treated? Are they treated differently in different places of Eora? Does "Bastard" actually have the same historical meaning in the game as in our world?

Has the actual term "Bastard" been established in the game world so far?

​2) They could also be a branch of the secret Obsidian Order (or maybe even deserters/prisoners), and the island is reaaaalllyyyy hard to even find. Also a random encounter or event.

Well concerning the idea that the Black Isle Bastards are a part of the Obsidian Order:

Personally, I would like to put the Obsidian Order to rest at this point. The idea that the pirates are part of the order has been proposed several times.

Yes. I did an edit in that post to include "or even seekers" instead of "prisoners". The Obsidian Order of Eternity is a secret organization in​ Eora. So I thought, what if another entity, the Black Isle Bastards, went to go out looking for them? For clues or whatnot.

The bastards are actually... bastards... of noble families and such. At least that's their history.

I have a lore question about this. Are bastards treated the same way in Eora as we think they are treated? Are they treated differently in different places of Eora? Does "Bastard" actually have the same historical meaning in the game as in our world?

Has the actual term "Bastard" been established in the game world so far?

Good questions. I honestly have no idea. But it would explain why they called themselves bastards - regardless on how bastards are perceived on Eora.

Because few people would name themselves bastards for no good reason, right? ;)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

It seems, you didn't take that monkey thing seriously.

How about this, we inquire if the game features monkeys at all. And if it does, the pirates could have a pet monkey.

Of course that could require additional funds, we would need to clear that up first.

• Like 2

How about this, we inquire if the game features monkeys at all. And if it does, the pirates could have a pet monkey.

Of course that could require additional funds, we would need to clear that up first.

It wouldn't necessarily require additional funds if the pet monkey model already exists in Obsidian's planning, then it shouldn't be more than a copy+paste. If it doesn't exist and Obsidian would need to make the 3D model and behaviors, even if simple, then the monkey pet isn't a priority, and shouldn't even be considered. Same should apply to "parrot". But, just assuming now, one would think that there might be parrot and monkey pets in a game with piracy (there were dogs, cats, and pigs, in Dyrwood).

​So it isn't far fetched to assume there'll be monkeys or parrots in Deadfire, but it's still just an assumption.

​EDIT:

Their ship was stolen by monkeys. So the pirate crew from the backer reward is actually a crew of monkeys.

Or stolen by pirates?

​2 NPC's stranded on an island (no time-based dying). And 6 NPC's on a ship.

Edited by Osvir

1 pet for 2 NPC's? That'd be 2-6 NPC's and 1 pet, instead of 4-8 NPC's.

​EDIT:

Their ship was stolen by monkeys. So the pirate crew from the backer reward is actually a crew of monkeys.

Or stolen by pirates?

The OBVIOUS answer would be:  monkey pirates... :p

• Like 1

I'm a bit confused by all the black islands and bastards and ships and stuff. Can you guys tell me if I'm right? Just so i'm sure I understood it all correctly:

- We will be able to pledge a small amount of mony in exchange for a pirate badge (Black Island Bastards?) on the fig campain (has yet to be put up)? This has nothing to do with the pirate crew(?)

- We (as forum community) will get an awesome Black Isle "for free" (yeeha!) and can give some loose (albeit supervaluable) input to the dev team. Right?

- There will also be a pirate crew named "Black Isle Bastards" which can totally chill on the Black Isle or something like that - or not - yet to decide. But wait - where does this crew come from? Has sombody pledged? Fluffle? I totally missed that.

- It's possible that somebody with a backer inn will chime in and place his inn on the black isle...?

Sorry, I'm old... Ok, that's for my confusion. Now to something completely different: If there's a pirate ship, what's the name supposed to be? The Black Curl? ;)

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I'm a bit confused by all the black islands and bastards and ships and stuff. Can you guys tell me if I'm right? Just so i'm sure I understood it all correctly:

- We will be able to pledge a small amount of mony in exchange for a pirate badge (Black Island Bastards?) on the fig campain (has yet to be put up)? This has nothing to do with the pirate crew(?)

- We (as forum community) will get an awesome Black Isle "for free" (yeeha!) and can give some loose (albeit supervaluable) input to the dev team. Right?

- There will also be a pirate crew named "Black Isle Bastards" which can totally chill on the Black Isle or something like that - or not - yet to decide. But wait - where does this crew come from? Has sombody pledged? Fluffle? I totally missed that.

- It's possible that somebody with a backer inn will chime in and place his inn on the black isle...?

Sorry, I'm old... Ok, that's for my confusion. Now to something completely different: If there's a pirate ship, what's the name supposed to be? The Black Curl? ;)

​Naming:

Backer Badge, Black Isle Bastards

​Backer Island, The Black Isle

​Backer Crew, Black Isle Bastards

Backer Ship.... undecided. Is the Island and the Ship exclusive? What if the Island is moving? The Ship is​ the Island? That'd solve that. "The Black Isle" for Island and for Ship.

• Like 1

This was not really a serious request, just a monkey island reference. But a pet monkey would be awesome.

• Like 1

---

We're all doomed

Yes, correct. The add-on is not there yet. But as soon as it is you will be able to pledge 8$ to become member of the "Black Isle Bastards" on this community NOT on the game.

The pirate crew on this community is funded completely independently from the pirate crew for the game. And that is why these things will be handled independently from each other.

As far as I understood it, we can give input in form of backer content for which we pledged.

We need to raise money for that. So I am going to register a PayPal account where I will collect money. As soon as we have 5000$ I will transfer it to Obsidian, but Obsidian has to enable the PayPal option first! Aarik is already aware of that.

If we do not reach the 5000$ I can refund OR we decide on another tier OR we give Obsidian the money as a free donation without something in return ( I would ask them to invest that money in the Black Isle then)

If we raise more than 5000$ Obsidian will get the surplus money for free, respectively I would ask them to spend the surplus money on the Black Isle or our pirate crew.

As far as I understood the Black Isle is going to be quite small. It can turn out to be very small in fact. Don't be disappointed, we get it for free after all.

So if we decide that our ship is at the Black Isle, there may not be enough room for an inn. I would need to check with the devs.

Oh dear, I just realized I better write an FAQ...

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 2

This was not really a serious request, just a monkey island reference. But a pet monkey would be awesome.

Yeah I had a feeling that it might have been not so serious. However, I do try to get something out of suggestions that appear to be rather less serious.

Why not go all out with the Black Isle theme.

Bring out analogues of Frank Horrigan, Ravel, Oswald Fiddlebender, etc.,...

Have a black leathered up "Ian" shoot some big headed blonde dude in blue and yellow named Vault Boy Van Buren in the back.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Why not go all out with the Black Isle theme.

Bring out analogues of Frank Horrigan, Ravel, Oswald Fiddlebender, etc.,...

Have a black leathered up "Ian" shoot some big headed blonde dude in blue and yellow named Vault Boy Van Buren in the back.

Personally I would say this is for Obsidian to decide.

I think a Black Isle would be reference enough already. However, why the heck not?

I would note not oppose it, I would just leave that decision to Obsidian.

As far as I understood the Black Isle is going to be quite small. It can turn out to be very small in fact. Don't be disappointed, we get it for free after all.

So if we decide that our ship is at the Black Isle, there may not be enough room for an inn. I would need to check with the devs.

Curious: If Inn is used in combination with the island, could Inn mean "Structure"? (House, Hut, Cave etc, a good size for 4-8 characters)

Does it necessarily have to be an "Inn"?

Edited by Osvir