Making the "Black Isle Bastards" come true! Crowd funding a pirate crew!

I'm still in.

​EDIT: Any chance that Obsidian would allow for a sort of subscription based payment? Could easily pay $1000-$2000 (4 months and 8 months respectively/$250 a month). Could pay the full too this way but 20 months seems a bit far off post-release :p

Edited by Osvir

You know, it's too bad we can't back an Island anymore. We actually could have had a "Black Isle" in the game... That's really a shame.

Had I thought sooner of that I would have opted for it!

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 3

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

If Black Isle comes through, wouldn't it be cool to have a ship as well?

​The Black Smoke! (steam engine, if that'd fit into scope) The Black Isle Bastards, from the Black Isle, sailing the Black Smoke.

​Actually, Pirate Island & Pirate Ship would be sort of... a community micro-faction, wouldn't it?

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

If Black Isle comes through, wouldn't it be cool to have a ship as well?

​The Black Smoke! (steam engine, if that'd fit into scope) The Black Isle Bastards, from the Black Isle, sailing the Black Smoke.

​Actually, Pirate Island & Pirate Ship would be sort of... a community micro-faction, wouldn't it?

This is pretty much what I told @Aarik already ;)

As soon as we have our community pirate crew established as "Black Isle Bastards" and if we then had an actual island in the game called "Black Isle" THEN I think there would/could be enough support of a pirate ship ingame.

We could then even go one step further, and have even a backer made inn on our island, if a inn backer would agree to that.

Or we could create an item, that you can only find on our island and that is associated with it or our pirate crew or the ship.

But most of that depends on having an island. I think if we owned an island, especially one called "Black Isle", that could unleash something here.

But you don't have to tell me. I don't have to tell you.

The developers would have to believe this, too ;)

Edited by Fluffle

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

If the support isn't there for either (or not enough) why not scale back a bit?

We could always as a group make a neat item or a "super pet". The cost is significantly less.

Well we do have a poll for an island, see here:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/91401-backing-a-black-isle-for-the-deadfire-archipelago/

And we do have some "yes" votes there. And take into account that that poll is only 2 days old as of now.

So the support can still grow.

The problem is there are no free island slots anymore on the Fig campaign, which is why I have asked Aarik

if the team would consider offering a new island slot.

I am yet waiting for an answer on that. He said the team would discuss it.

Edited by Fluffle

If the support isn't there for either (or not enough) why not scale back a bit?

We could always as a group make a neat item or a "super pet". The cost is significantly less.

Well we do have a poll for an island, see here:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/91401-backing-a-black-isle-for-the-deadfire-archipelago/

And we do have some "yes" votes there. And take into account that that poll is only 2 days old as of now.

So the support can still grow.

The problem is there are no free island slots anymore on the Fig campaign, which is why I have asked Aarik

if the team would consider offering a new island slot.

I am yet waiting for an answer on that. He said the team would discuss it.

Yup I voted there.

Here's hoping everyone follows through then eh? I'd be pretty embarrassing if they end up adding another tier and not enough gets donated haha.

Speaking of the island tier. Has anything been discussed about the physical items? 

Speaking of the island tier. Has anything been discussed about the physical items?

We could give them away by random selection like in a lottery. Just an idea, there may be better ways to handle it though.

Honestly fluffle it seems to be the stronger support is for the island, and no one really wants to do the pirate "crew" unless the island can't be done.  I would just wait and see if they come up with an extra island tier at this point.  I know I am left a little let down by the pirate crew concept, and don't feel strongly enough about it to put my money there.

• Like 1

Part of the issue is that there are  too many options being thrown about, rather than focusing on one and coming up with a solidified plan for it.

Badge - Pirate Ship - Island. Coming up with names --and are they corresponding or completely separate? How about funding and logistics-who is actually interested and can we together as a group come up with enough scratch?

It started up as a sequel to the Obsidian Order. Then, there was an off-hand semi-joke about hey, if we had the same number of people donating $8, we could actually buy a pirate ship. Then the ship idea picks up steam. Then hey, wait -- we need a badge, which is independent of the ship. We come up with a name for the pirate crew and/or group name for the badge - Black Isle Bastards. Then, hey wait...there's option 3 -- let's get an island and name it Black Isle! But..what happened to the Pirate Ship??

I'm not actually upset at all btw. Just a little confused and perplexed.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Part of the issue is that there are  too many options being thrown about, rather than focusing on one and coming up with a solidified plan for it.

Badge - Pirate Ship - Island. Coming up with names --and are they corresponding or completely separate? How about funding and logistics-who is actually interested and can we together as a group come up with enough scratch?

It started up as a sequel to the Obsidian Order. Then, there was an off-hand semi-joke about hey, if we had the same number of people donating $8, we could actually buy a pirate ship. Then the ship idea picks up steam. Then hey, wait -- we need a badge, which is independent of the ship. We come up with a name for the pirate crew and/or group name for the badge - Black Isle Bastards. Then, hey wait...there's option 3 -- let's get an island and name it Black Isle! But..what happened to the Pirate Ship??

I'm not actually upset at all btw. Just a little confused and perplexed.

Partly you are certainly right. However, I think before any project starts it is normal that there is a chaotic phase of brain storming at first. At one point though you have to sort things out and at least I do see this happening.

Option A, the forum badge, should be underway. There has been a huge majority in favor for "Black Isle Bastards" and I'd expect that will be the name for our pirate crew on this forum.

Option B, to my eyes never really had strong support. May I did misinterpret that, so feel free to correct me. There were concerns that designing a pirate crew and ship for the game would not offer enough choices and the whole encounter would not be significant enough in the game. IF I did understand that correctly.

Option C, which I will call it now that way, the Island, now that idea has really picked up steam, in my eyes. There is a poll about it and quite a lot people have voted that they would support the idea. Keep in mind the poll is only 2-3 days old and shows a lot of support already.

In my opinion Option B could gain steam, once Option A and Option C are a done deal. Which the first already is more or less.

So again, what you describe, is perfectly normal for any brain storming phase at the start of a any project, in my opinion.

What do you think happens at the start of developing a video game? You just may not see it from the outside. In this case, here, you do.

Fair enough. It just seems like it's a little helter skelter. From Let's bring back the Obsidian Order and give an extra $8 -> Pirate Ship -> Obsidian Mauraders  -> Random Vulgar name -> What about combing Black Isle with Bastards -> Wait...Black Isle -- Let's get an island!

I originally just wanted a boat.

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

@Leferd

Honestly I do want a ship too. Just with one caveat: I want an island first.

If I had to decide between island and ship, I would choose the island because of the reference to "Black Isle".

Now if we had an island, called "Black Isle", then I would LOVE to have a pirate crew and a ship in the game that used the "Black Isle" as their base of operations.

If you or someone else was going for the crew and ship, I would independently from the island support you. But not with as much money as if we had an island first.

@Leferd

Honestly I do want a ship too. Just with one caveat: I want an island first.

If I had to decide between island and ship, I would choose the island because of the reference to "Black Isle".

Now if we had an island, called "Black Isle", then I would LOVE to have a pirate crew and a ship in the game that used the "Black Isle" as their base of operations.

If you or someone else was going for the crew and ship, I would independently from the island support you. But not with as much money as if we had an island first.

Probably for the best. Unless we're able to assert our creativity, it'll be a generic party vs party encounter where the pirates are just XP fodder for mediocre loot.

• Like 1

our board personality makes us less than ideal for team and/or consensus building efforts.  am trying not to interfere too much.  will help if needed or asked.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Does the Pirate crew ​have to be​ an adventuring encounter?

​I thought about it and I wonder... if the Player/Watcher gets a stronghold ship, or can sail a ship, couldn't the next step be "a fleet"? What if the pirates could be recruitable (fleet-wise/alliance, not in-party)? Or the Pirates are on a treasure hunt and you could join them for a brief quest of looking for clues?

​Or even Karkarov's idea, where you'd encounter them different points throughout the game, a villain type that you fight, but they flee and run away before you can defeat them, and they'll come back again later with a little bit better gear, and again run away when defeated, and finally come back once more~ etc.

​Does it really have to be a "generic Encounter #20058"? I'm with Leferd here, if we're creative enough, there should be a solution.

Does the Pirate crew ​have to be​ an adventuring encounter?

​I thought about it and I wonder... if the Player/Watcher gets a stronghold ship, or can sail a ship, couldn't the next step be "a fleet"? What if the pirates could be recruitable (fleet-wise/alliance, not in-party)? Or the Pirates are on a treasure hunt and you could join them for a brief quest of looking for clues?

​Or even Karkarov's idea, where you'd encounter them different points throughout the game, a villain type that you fight, but they flee and run away before you can defeat them, and they'll come back again later with a little bit better gear, and again run away when defeated, and finally come back once more~ etc.

​Does it really have to be a "generic Encounter #20058"? I'm with Leferd here, if we're creative enough, there should be a solution.

The backer reward is for a Pirate Crew.

So that's what we get for it. Pretty sure that's why Fluffy is trying to get another Island tier for the Black Isle. It's a bit more interesting.

it sounded as if input for the pirate ship & crew were a bit limited.  something more involved, such as the possibility o' designing a multi-event adversary woulda' been nifty, but such a thing were increasing dubious.  honest, design something like the giantslayer's from admeth's den would be kinda fun, but would needs be more than a one-off to be worth the investment... 'least from our pov.  first have an initial encounter early in the game to establish raison d'être and personalities.  midway we get a battle, possible broken up by a storm preventing a final resolution.  add a final confrontation with multiple possible resolutions (but likely ending in battle) near late portion o' game.  such a multi-event encounter with a serious tough and unique adventuring group/pirate crew would be unique and memorable.  

didn't sound likely.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I would be happy to support ship, island and also an inn (nice idea) on that island. Or without island - or without ship - whatever you guys come up with.

The thing is I can't keep up with all that communication that's going on right now at these forums. Too much to read. And posts come too fast to keep up.

Just know that you can always contact me if you need support or/and a vote for those things.

• Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

To get an idea, we should try to estimate how much the OOoE gathered last time. It would give us an idea how much we could get for all those ideas. For exemple, I am already plegdging once more a gold-level, I won't be able to put too much extra. I can sacrifice my shirt add-on (:() for this though!

• Like 1

« Celui qui est consumé par la flamme de la justice ne craint ni le ciel, ni l’enfer ; il n’est qu’une arme attendant le jour de sa mort ». (Paul Murphy, l'Enclave, 1971)

I'm still thinking a subscription based funding could work too, but the deadline would surely be pushed back a lot if Obsidian opened the doors to that.

200 people with $8 subscription = $1600 a month, $19'200 a year. 2000 people? $192'000 a year. Well above the $5000. 12 months maximum (so if someone forgets to shut off, it shuts off automatically). Would require some User Terms & Agreements~

part o' the problem we current have is the momentum we original had died when we got answers from obsidian.  unlike the order naming, which went relative smooth, we can't simple argue 'mongst ourselves, come up with a dozen or so options, and then vote. needed ask questions. when considering purchasing the pirate crew option as a group, we had questions for obsidian.  aarik presented our questions to the developers, and with surprising speed, we got answers.  [aside: thanks again to obsidian for quick response.] unfortunate, the answers we got were not exact what folks hoped or expected-- back to square one?

so, pirate crew, the original notion having considerable support, were dashed 'pon the rocks like a small dingy in a hurricane.  what then?

some folks wanted an island?  well, no islands remain, but we got threads for such.

tavern?  those are gone too.

there hasn't been a single concept the community has spontaneous rallied behind as happened with the pirate crew.  left floundering a bit. need find some way to resurrect the pirate crew, or if this is gonna be a community thing, one needs find a way to rally folks behind a single viable option. when the pirate crew option were sunk it kinda took the wind out o' our sails, no.

HA! Good Fun!

ps some small apology for all the terrible puns.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

Hey Guys,

Great news! Because you guys are so amazing, we're going to do the island for the community! No need to back a tier or anything. You guys have supported us through out these years and we wanted to give back. The team will have full control of the Black Isle but are open to suggestions. Keep in mind that this may be a small sized island, so there wouldn't be a bustling town or anything to that scale. It'll have 4-8 NPCs max.

However, if you want to incorporate something with the island, such as the NPC tier, or the Pirate Crew, that is definitely something we can work with you guys on. For example, you could encounter the Black Isle Bastards on the way to the Black Isle, or they can be chilling on the island, within reason.

So, we now have our community pirate order "Black Isle Bastards".

And a "Black Isle" has been confirmed for the game. Now we are talking...

Who would like to see our community pirate crew in the game? On the Black Isle or associated with it in some way?

• Like 1