Making the "Black Isle Bastards" come true! Crowd funding a pirate crew!

and such is the reason Gromnir suggests finding out from obsidian just how much input you can have.  you are coming up with plans before knowing what you can actual do.  

HA! Good Fun!

I have made an inquiry along this line :p

That said, I expect it will be similar to the Inn's from POE 1.  Which frankly allowed for a lot of backer agency.  Look at the inn done by the RPG Codex.  It had it's own item shop, a silly RPG Codex ring you had to buy, a brothel, etc etc.  It was clear they had quite a bit of input on what went in there.

EDIT: I am pretty much concurring with Fluffle.  Depending on what the response is from Aarik D I may be upping my pledge to the ship today.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 3

That's not what I'm saying Gromnir (About co-designing), but rather, me personally would rather create something extensive and grand, than something lackluster and bland.

and such is the reason Gromnir suggests finding out from obsidian just how much input you can have.  you are coming up with plans before knowing what you can actual do.  

HA! Good Fun!

I find this very reasonable actually. We should have more input on what that tier reward actually encompasses. What does it mean? What can you actually decide?

• Like 1

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

I you guys really want to create the ship and stuff yourself in a group effort or whatever, I'm out. That's just too much hassle for me and even more important, t's a threat for the consistency and quality of the game IMO.

In Gromnir's words: Have fun.

35167v4.jpg

I you guys really want to create the ship and stuff yourself in a group effort or whatever, I'm out. That's just too much hassle for me and even more important, t's a threat for the consistency and quality of the game IMO.

In Gromnir's words: Have fun.

But doesn't this apply to any backer related content in the game?

Let's say someone would buy the pirate group + ship alone. In what way would that not be "a threat for the consistency and quality of the game"?

It is Obsidian's job to take care that that doesn't happen. And that applies to all backer related content, does it not?

And Obsidian already says "some restrictions apply" on the tier rewards. So of course they are aware of this.

• Like 2

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

And like clockwork, there's always going to be some drama over hurt feelings on the forums regarding fan contributions during the development of 2D isometric crpgs.

In the traditions of Lanfear, dlux, Sensuki, etc.,...

Anyways, I agree with Gromnir and Fluffle - we need to know what the parameters are. We've also got some really solid and creative writers here. Take advantage of that when and if we have something to present to Obsidian.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

It is Obsidian's job to take care that that doesn't happen. And that applies to all backer related content, does it not?

Are you telling me I can't have the pirate captain be Jimmy Hoffa, the ship be from 1985 transported to Eora via a wormhole, and crewed by a gang of angry teamsters armed with tommy guns hell bent on getting equal labor rights for defiance bay dock workers?

• Like 1

Depending on what the response is from Aarik D I may be upping my pledge to the ship today.

You see this, Aarik? You better tell him something that makes him buy the ship :p

• Like 1

What I would do for the design of the ship like this is to go from the general to the specific. So after we hear back from Obsidian, have a vote decide what would be the general theme of the ship: "all spirit ship" or "re purposed sea monster" etc. Then you narrow it down to further. That way people have a general sense of what has already been decided before moving on the next steps.

• Like 3

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Alright you salty dogs! Listen up! We got words from the chain of command!

Option A: Pirate Themed Forum Badge:

• This is totally doable we we will be making this purchasable through the "Extras" section on Fig. Depending on how many people purchase this Extra, we can add the forum badge manually, or via backer portal.

Option B: Community Pirate Ship:

• I spoke with Adam B. and he said we can totally work with you guys with the pirate ship/crew. However, there are a few restrictions.
  • The maximum party size will probably be around 6 crew members
  • Names, Race, and Class, attire/gear are all customizable (as long as they fit in the Pillars Lore)
  • Pirate ship will also have some customization options you will be able to choose from. 
  • We can put in a ledger on the ship that can have log as Osvir has described and names of additional crew members that cannot be an NPC (optional).

I forgot to ask about end-game credits. I'll see if we can have a special section for the Obsidian Pirate Crew! I'll leave that to you guys to decide on what to name your Pirate Crew (for ship and/or forum badge).

Edit: Please keep in mind that Option A and B are completely independent of each other. 

• Like 4

• This is totally doable we we will be making this purchasable through the "Extras" section on Fig. Depending on how many people purchase this Extra, we can add the forum badge manually, or via backer portal.

• I spoke with Adam B. and he said we can totally work with you guys with the pirate ship/crew. However, there are a few restrictions.
  • Names, Race, and Class, attire/gear are all customizable (as long as they fit in the Pillars Lore)
  • Pirate ship will also have some customization options you will be able to choose from. 
  • We can put in a ledger on the ship that can have log as Osvir has described and names of additional crew members that cannot be an NPC (optional).

I forgot to ask about end-game credits. I'll see if we can have a special section for the Obsidian Pirate Crew! I'll leave that to you guys to decide on what to name your Pirate Crew (for ship and/or forum badge) 

thanks for feedback, but the underlined is kinda, well, vague.  considering we are talking 'bout a $5000 investment, is there anyway we can get karkarov access to adam via email or whatever?  a few more details would be helpful. maybe karkarov can pass along questions to you and you forward them.  

perhaps Gromnir seems unappreciative or difficult, but other than the adversarial pirate party, am wondering what the "customization options" actual entail.  seems like kinda a major aspect o' the investment, no?

regardless, thanks for quick response.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'll leave that to you guys to decide on what to name your Pirate Crew (for ship and/or forum badge).

Edit: Please keep in mind that Option A and B are completely independent of each other. 

And that would mean we need a name for each pirate crew. One for the pirate crew on this forum (for Option A) and one for the pirate crew in the game (Option B).

Edited by Fluffle

I understand you guys have a ton of questions, so please feel free to ask away and I'll compile the list of questions and get them to Adam. 

Thanks!

much appreciated. thank you.

as an aside, am still in favor o' supporting even if there is minimal customization o' the ship itself.  design a marauding band o' pirates sounds like a nifty idea. am hoping a large number o' contributors can accept the reality o' only six main pirates.  there will be people with fantastic character concepts who will not get those ideas realized in the game.  need be mature 'bout this.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 5

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Can the ship be a galley? So we can have chained non-combatant slave rowers in the background? Previous victims of the maurading band.

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Okay so let's say 6 crew members.  Okay.

Do we have input on their gear?  Like can one of them be using a special weapon like from the 750 "create an item" tier?

What sort of options are the "ship" options?  Can the hull be made out of an adra dragon skull?  Can I have a octopus in a giant bowl? Or is it more like "you can make the ship out of red wood or tan wood"?

One big question I have, because it may matter for "comedy" effect if people want that route, can you have multiple encounters?  Like they show up early game at low level, but strangely show up later stronger, and near the end show up high level for "revenge"?

First question might be a bit too soon to ask but I'm just curious~

​- How is the pirate ship introduced to the Player? Do we get to suggest/design/conceptualize? (Random encounter? Specific encounter?)
​- Is there room for a short Task-line? (Bounty, Mystery, brief Quest)
​- Again, suggest/design/conceptualize the architecture of the ship? (What's the maximum size of the ship? Will the Player be able to enter the ship? How many rooms? Can we decide "monster type" or "ghost type" or "galley" or "long boat" etc.?). Speaking of which, what sorts of ships exist in the Deadfire Archipelago (Eora) already?
​- Narrative limitations?
​- Is there room for one or two short "Scenes"? (isometric Cutscenes, i.e. the ship lays anchor by the docks and camera following~ something simple like that)
- Will we get or can we ask for lore spoiler tidbits regarding piracy, economics, politics, etc. in the Deadfire game? (nothing plot spoiling though, just to get information on the current state of the world/state of Naasitaq & the Archipelago)
​- Do we get to insert/design any treasure? (Not quite "Create an Item" Tier, but maybe some sort of "Valuable" that the Player can sell?)

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

Awesome! Looking forward to adding this. :)

Ok, given this I'd suggest a couple of things:

-with only six actual crew members I'd say we don't do any forum insert characters, just original characters. Too many chances for hurt feelings and the like otherwise. However, that wouldn't stop people from inserting themselves in the ledger, if we go that route.

-regarding the payment stuff I see two options: single tier membership (pay a minimum amount and you can contribute to everything) and multitiered membership (you'd need to pay more to contribute ideas than to just vote on them, etc.). I'm mostly ambivalent on this as I can see benefits and costs to each.

Thoughts?

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Okay so let's say 6 crew members.

@Karkarov

Do you see how this might work? You buy the pirate ship and then you sell 5 name slots (assuming you would like to name one pirate yourself).

Then for the gear you can sell 5 gear slots (assuming you would like to gear up one pirate yourself).

Same with the race, class etc.

Edited by Fluffle

@Karkarov

Do you see how this might work? You buy the pirate ship and then you sell 5 name slots (assuming you would like to name one pirate yourself).

Then for the gear you can sell 5 gear slots (assuming you would like to gear up one pirate yourself).

To be honest I read that less as "6 crew members" and more as "6 combat entities that maybe get to talk".  I mean could one of them in theory be a galactic space pig (hey it's in game in Eternity don't look at me), or a golem, or a pet dragon?  Maybe, but we don't know for sure.

But yes, if I do this I would be thinking X amount of money gets you the right to vote and make suggestions, Y amount either gets you more voting power, Z amount maybe lets you create one of the crew (as long as it fits with the whole concept), etc.

I don't think I would break it down so severely it becomes this guy names Pirate 3, this person gets to decide their class, another guy gets to choose their gear, this other backer gets to choose their race.  That's a little too much design by committee I think.

• Like 1

@Karkarov

To be honest I read that less as "6 crew members" and more as "6 combat entities that maybe get to talk".  I mean could one of them in theory be a galactic space pig (hey it's in game in Eternity don't look at me), or a golem, or a pet dragon?  Maybe, but we don't know for sure.

But yes, if I do this I would be thinking X amount of money gets you the right to vote and make suggestions, Y amount either gets you more voting power, Z amount maybe lets you create one of the crew (as long as it fits with the whole concept), etc.

I don't think I would break it down so severely it becomes this guy names Pirate 3, this person gets to decide their class, another guy gets to choose their gear, this other backer gets to choose their race.  That's a little too much design by committee I think.

I think this is probably the best choice.

-Josh Sawyer

opinion: 

get some kinda agreement on a basic concept/theme for the pirate crew/ship.  karkarov's tommy gun wielding time-travelers might prove difficult given the limits o' the setting, but am thinking we shouldn't try and limit folks much.  let folks come up with ideas, and then find a way to choose/vote for OUR theme.

after we get an agreed 'pon theme, there will no doubt be butthurt, so hopeful money is already collected.

next, have folks submit either captain or crew character pirate concepts/sketches.  use artwork or biographical details.  whatever.  set a word count limit for bios. one submission per contributor. have karkarov or somebody else be final arbiter o' whether or not a submission fits enough with the group theme as to be viable.  one spot reserved for karakov, but let rest be voted 'pon?  come up with a top three for each available crew spot, or 15 total... assuming karakov gets one automatic.  wanna have more money invested = more votes? fine.  each $8 gets a vote?  whatever. regardless, have contributors vote and then come up with a pool 'o crew and three captain candidates based on most votes received. fifteen total.  

let obsidian choose from shortlist o' fifteen.  obsidian makes final choice results in less anger at fellow members and we likely get a better crew as obsidian is gonna need make work in the game.

is our opinion.

HA! Good Fun!

ps we wouldn't care if people wanna use their board name as their character.  pirate named osvir or shadysands is not gonna be at all distracting or problematic.  make compelling.  make fun.  *shrug* real issue is gonna be how folks handle rejection, and possible cheating with votes. 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 3