Making the "Black Isle Bastards" come true! Crowd funding a pirate crew!

I'm also very much down with this. Missed crowdfunding for POE, so I want to get involved more in POE2.

Just to express my preferences of what has been said so far, I really like the idea of financing a ship (whether its one filled with lost souls or even a find the lost ship kinda quest). I also wanted to increase my pledge from the premium digital, but I dont really care for the physical rewards and the higher pledges are too expensive for me.

A forum ship is perfect!

• Like 2

Hey guys, 

Option A: Forum Badge

We can totally work with you guys in getting a special Pirate order set up like you guys did in the first game. I know you guys said that you wanted a special pirate themed forum badge instead of a title change, so we might be able to work with you guys on that. However, if you already backed the game, you will get a Fig Backer Badge, similar to the Kickstarter one. I'll have to gather more information on if this can be possible. 

Option B: Pirate Ship

For this, you would have to designate a trustworthy person to hold all the funds and to submit it to Fig. I believe the NeoGaf community setup a PayPal account to accumulate the funds and then use those funds to back the Own an Island Tier. As for "who gets all the goodies?" I will leave that to you guys. You can follow the same model as GAF members did.

I'll be watching this thread closely to help you guys out! 

• Like 10

Well I mentioned this to Fluffle in a side IM but I will throw it out here.  I could just upgrade my tier to the ship and pay it, I am not rich or anything but I can "afford it".  Then if we want people can just buy in from there and toss money in to "buy votes" or however we want to do it. 

The bonus to something like this is that it allows us to collect funds past the actual kickstarter campaign.  Meaning you don't actually have to "buy in" in the next 20 whatever days if you want to contribute to it, but can't afford to right now.

That said I don't feel super hot about that much money on the line either unless we can be sure we can get at least a majority of the 5k over time.  Anyway, just a potential option for peoples consideration.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 2

I feel like this should be a wider arrangement, and not just 30 people paying 150$. As mentioned, can't the ship just have a logbook with previously transported slaves or crew members or w/e with the backers, if people absolutly wants to be recogniced in game. I'm in for any means of payment, and totally trust Karkarov to abuse my money well. :>

• Like 3

I feel like this should be a wider arrangement, and not just 30 people paying 150$. As mentioned, can't the ship just have a logbook with previously transported slaves or crew members or w/e with the backers, if people absolutly wants to be recogniced in game. I'm in for any means of payment, and totally trust Karkarov to abuse my money well. :>

I agree, I feel like people are overlooking some big things too.  It isn't like "you get to decide this and nothing else!!!" we could do a vote for the actual pirate crew name.  A vote for the flag icon.  Vote on the "theme" of it all if we want silly or serious, flag colors, type of ship, blah blah blah.  It is about a lot more than just "who is on the crew".

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 3

I agree completely, which is why I think it could be a collaborated story about the pirate ship, rather than being "Karkarov the Pirate", or "Osvir the Pirate" etc.

In the same way, Eder isn't "Adam Brennecke".

Basically, I'm simply advocating for some "plot" where everybody can pitch in ideas, instead of having "One person will be drafted 'Captain' and design it". This way no one gets left out of the creative process (which is also why I advocate for "design groups" as well).

Heck, who is to say the pirate ship can't be a raft, and you have a Jack Sparrow (singular) type crew/captain? Or Mihawk/Hawkeye from One Piece (single character, super strong).

Or what if the Crew is the ship?? Hm... I like the logbook thing (but in light of mrstarks post below, NO BACKER LOGBOOK AKIN TO GRAVESTONES IN POE1 PLEASE) and I just remembered this, from the fanfic competition:

"A book opens, and a book closes. Pages turn. That such a simple thing, leather, ink, paper, and quill, could cause such devastation, hold such... elegance...

You have failed. Is the first sentence that rings your mind.

You are already doomed. It follows.

Your flesh... abandoned. Only The Ink holds you now.... "Another comes..." "We grow" "We feed" echoes across pages, soundless words appearing on paper. You feel your fingers, but they are not there, neither are your arms, your feet, your legs... your head, thoughts, spins in vacuum, bouncing back and forth in emptiness... probing your memories you find... nothing...? What were you before? Where did you come from? What am I? All your thoughts, manifested on a single page. Your entire life, encompassed in a single word... "Ink". Nothing else seems to register, except a mechanical and logical force, mathematical aspects... "The Book has you".

The Book?

You have passed the Leather... "Who is that?" you seem to think... and your thoughts swirls, dance and run in circles, and a black dot begins in your mind, it transforms into a line, into fine calligraphy, echoing across the pages once more... "Who is that?".

It is We, the Ink. What you perceive shifts your thoughts turn, searching for... a library of... letters? What has happened?

You opened the Book, like all of Us. The Book? What Book?

The Soul Ink. I... do not understand?

It is ancient animancy from an age long gone. It does not matter. You are being absorbed at this very moment, your blood, your flesh, your mind... your soul... the very essence of "you"... all of it folded into the Page... you are trapped here with Us now. Part of Us. Agent of the Quill.... I am... afraid....

... I sense your struggle... let go... this is the end, another Chapter in the Book, a beginning of another you... another Us... come to Us, join Us, and embrace Our Will.... I... I did not wish for this...

.... you still struggle. Let go, for the Ink will not let you go... I... There is no more 'I', 'We', We are the Ink. You will soon understand....

A spike runs through your being, phantom pain electrifying your physical and spiritual silhouette... You are gone. You... have been devoured, and your struggle ends... We are the Ink.

Another Chapter has been written, Master..."

- A strange empty ship appears

- You find a logbook in the captains quarters

- Interacting with it = Scripted event/dialogue/trigger to summon spirits (the crew)

EDIT: I could pitch in another $200 btw (for the cause, not for priveledge). And if Obsidian allows, another $200 next month/February 25th (after the Fig campaign is over, I think?).

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 2

Just want to add my thoughts on the "ships log" and littering of NPCs. I would hope people have learned from the memorials and backer NPCs of PoE1 and will shy away from feeling like they have to put a mark of their own inside the game. It can be neat, but horrible when tens of thousands of people all feel the need to do it. As we've seen.

I'd suggest trying to make sure this collaborative effort designs something that would actually fit into Eora, rather than seeing it as a cheap opportunity to force your own touch onto it. Immersion in PoE1 was fragile at best due to all of the highlighted things that you needed to avoid clicking.

• Like 2
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

Agreed 100% with mrstark. We should ask for In-Credits recognition instead "Backer Pirate Ship Design" and all our names after, the logbook is a neat idea but wouldn't a cool story be more interesting?

"Day 63: We arrived at the island... the cold ran down all our spines, but we pressed on"

Instead of:

"Name

Name

Name

Name

Name

Name"

Immersion in PoE1 was fragile at best due to all of the highlighted things that you needed to avoid clicking.

utter nonsense.  "immersion," whatever the heck it might be, is highly personal and the threshold o' violation is clear so variable as to defy any kinda rules.  peter of the north and and alora's ren and stimpy homage didn't destroy the fragile balance o' immersion for most players in bg1 and the optional clicky memorials in poe1, while seeming a crime 'gainst humanity for a few, were largely ignored by most.  for chrissakes, peter north handling subterranean wood?  HA!

name the friggin pirate ship enterprise and give all crew members star trek identities?  would get a momentary chuckle outta Gromnir.  would enrage a few.  would hardly destroy the game.  sure, our preference is for something more original than derivative, so predictable pirates of the caribbean stuff would not be our choice, but if somebody managed to sneak in an ice pirates reference, we wouldn't object.

let folks, as a group, decide what is kewl, but shrinking violets over concerned 'bout immersion is gonna get little more than an eye roll worth o' consideration from Gromnir.

HA! Good Fun!

ps

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Probably a bit too silly and absurd for POE2, but what if the Watcher's group would cross paths with the pirate crew and ship not just one time but, as kind of a running gag a couple of times over the course of the game? Each time both parties meet, it would always end with the pirate's ship sinking, either at the hand of the Watcher and Co. or, after succesfully intimidating or otherwise convincing them (e.g. talking them into it), at the pirates' own hands by "suicide-sinking".

And yes that would totally be a reference to the pirates from the Asterix comics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Asterix_characters#The_Pirates

http://i.imgur.com/wnOcxnZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/eP8D3lI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2roYhDF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZarlCnk.jpg

• Like 1

Probably a bit too silly and absurd for POE2, but what if the Watcher's group would cross paths with the pirate crew and ship not just one time but, as kind of a running gag a couple of times over the course of the game? Each time both parties meet, it would always end with the pirate's ship sinking, either at the hand of the Watcher and Co. or, after succesfully intimidating or otherwise convincing them (e.g. talking them into it), at the pirates' own hands by "suicide-sinking".

And yes that would totally be a reference to the pirates from the Asterix comics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Asterix_characters#The_Pirates

http://i.imgur.com/wnOcxnZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/eP8D3lI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2roYhDF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZarlCnk.jpg

Sounds fun! If possible, end game when you finally get to defeat the Captain and loot his body, you could find and read the Captain's log, tracing back to the players encounters:

Day 12 "Met a pesky adventurer!"

Day 35 "Again!? Darn it all!!!"

Day 78 "WE WILL END THEM!!!"

:p

Edited by Osvir

I already backed for the 750 $ create an Iten.

I would glady join this.

However: 5000 / 8 = 625 .

625 people giving ideas.

That's just to many people for a single ship. How would it flow? Some shows ideas than voting happens? 

My suggestion:

Increase the money need to participate to 25$ = 200 people. 

Edited by Taurus

Hey guys,

Option A: Forum Badge

We can totally work with you guys in getting a special Pirate order set up like you guys did in the first game. I know you guys said that you wanted a special pirate themed forum badge instead of a title change, so we might be able to work with you guys on that. However, if you already backed the game, you will get a Fig Backer Badge, similar to the Kickstarter one. I'll have to gather more information on if this can be possible.

@Aarik

Okay, here would be my proposal how to tackle Option A.

You add a new extra on this page of the Fig campaign:

MWh1uXP.png

This extra would say "Pirates of the Deadfire Archipelago Membership" and it would cost 8$.

The description would say that this option is to support the cause of the Fig campaign.

You will get a pirate themed forum badge in return for your support.

Also, that badge is an additional forum badge to the one you receive from pledging anyway.

So if you chose that extra you would get two badges in total. That should be no problem because in the course

of the Project Eternity Kickstarter you could get two badges, too.

Note: This way Option A is completely independent from Option B. Option A has nothing to do with the pirate ship.

That is a different matter on which I will share my thoughts shortly.

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 1

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

My input:

First, everybody involved in the fundraiser (pledging at least 8 bucks) gets a forum badge, no matter how much money we raise.

Second, if we manage to raise 3000k Obsidian will make a pirate ship dedicated to us crazy bunch pirates and buccaneers - as they see fit. That would cut the difficult decision making process on our side, it would guarantee the consistency of the ingame elements (because Obsidian themselves create it) and it would give us a little surprise in the game.

Isn't it a huge part of the "magic" of RPGs that we don't know everything beforehand? ;)

35167v4.jpg

My input:

First, everybody involved in the fundraiser (pledging at least 8 bucks) gets a forum badge, no matter how much money we raise.

Second, if we manage to raise 3000k Obsidian will make a pirate ship dedicated to us crazy bunch pirates and buccaneers - as they see fit. That would cut the difficult decision making process on our side, it would guarantee the consistency of the ingame elements (because Obsidian themselves create it) and it would give us a little surprise in the game.

Isn't it a huge part of the "magic" of RPGs that we don't know everything beforehand? ;)

Absolutely, but wouldn't it be fun to create something for others to enjoy as well?

One of the reasons I suggested "design groups" tackling different aspects was for a surprise factor as well.

One group designs the Captain might not know much who the First Mate is, and vice versa.

Another way is to have one "manager" and create surveys and just send it forward to Obsidian to decide what to do with the data.

• Like 1

My input:

That seems like the only sensible way of doing that.

My input:

Uh no, absolutely not.  I have no intention of backing for something this expensive, that may cost 100's of dollars per person, and then just saying "do what you want obsidian!"  If no one backs a pirate crew don't kid yourself, Obsidian is not going to just say "oh well best go two crews light or no random pirates at all" they will just make it up themselves.  You would literally be paying them 5k, or this weird 3k they will not agree to but you will have no proof had any impact, for the privilege of debating what to do with the physical goods/digital keys.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 1

My input:

Absolutely, but wouldn't it be fun to create something for others to enjoy as well?

One of the reasons I suggested "design groups" tackling different aspects was for a surprise factor as well.

One group designs the Captain might not know much who the First Mate is, and vice versa.

Another way is to have one "manager" and create surveys and just send it forward to Obsidian to decide what to do with the data.

There is only one thing to say about that: A camel is a horse designed by a commitee.  :rolleyes:

Or in other words: it's a sure as hell way into an inconsistent distaster nobody will like in the end. It's certainly not good for the overall game/experience.

My input:

Isn't it a huge part of the "magic" of RPGs that we don't know everything beforehand?  ;)

Uh no, absolutely not.  I have no intention of backing for something this expensive, that may cost 100's of dollars per person, and then just saying "do what you want obsidian!"  If no one backs a pirate crew don't kid yourself, Obsidian is not going to just say "oh well best go two crews light or no random pirates at all" they will just make it up themselves.  You would literally be paying them 5k for the privilege of debating what to do with the physical goods/digital keys.

Maybe you should check again what crowdfunding is all about. Hint: it's not about personal rewards.

If you don't like to give Obsidian something extra without getting anything for yourself in return just don't contribute. ;)

Edited by LordCrash
  • Like 1
35167v4.jpg

My input:

There is only one thing to say about that: A camel is a horse designed by a commitee. :rolleyes:

Or in other words: it's a sure as hell way into an inconsistent distaster nobody will like in the end. It's certainly not good for the overall game/experience.

My input:

Uh no, absolutely not. I have no intention of backing for something this expensive, that may cost 100's of dollars per person, and then just saying "do what you want obsidian!" If no one backs a pirate crew don't kid yourself, Obsidian is not going to just say "oh well best go two crews light or no random pirates at all" they will just make it up themselves. You would literally be paying them 5k for the privilege of debating what to do with the physical goods/digital keys.

Maybe you should check again what crowdfunding is all about. Hint: it's not about personal rewards.

If you don't like to give Obsidian something extra without getting anything for yourself in return just don't contribute. ;)

Unless we would organize. I know some big ass Minecraft projects usually has one "design lead" and a couple of underlings to help create the vision for an area, then others for other areas.

If we have 10~15 "design leads" with 30-40 people under, it shouldn't be impossible. Now, having 400-500 people in a moshpit create something together.... that'd be difficult.

If the same 10-15 collaborate to maintain consistency, then I see no problem.

Edited by Osvir

am doubting the tier for creating a pirate ship allows as much contributor input as some folks believe.  is unlikely you is gonna work with obsidian as a co-designer to create every aspect o' the ship from keel to crow's nest.  "some restrictions apply" is, we suspect, more expansive than folks believe.

perhaps ask 'bout input before making grand plans.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

That's not what I'm saying Gromnir (About co-designing), but rather, me personally would rather create something extensive and grand, than something lackluster and bland.

​I'd rather have a full story with Captain and crew, from ship to guns, the in-politics and in-fights, be cut to pieces for the most interesting parts, rather than having something that falls short but gets in anyways (because payment was made).

​Obsidian would need information/data from our creation somehow, and that's all I'm going for (not co-design). "How do we organize and manage the creation/data/information of a pirate ship & crew among 200-300 people?" (I'd personally prefer around 30, because that would be so much easier to work with).

​I'd also be completely fine with getting up to $5000 and just give it all to Obsidian to figure out what to do with it ​for the Pirate Purpose (because I want consistency as well, and they'd definitely manage that better than a large group of fans, unless there's someone uber passionate and borderline ambitious to dig out a fantastic plot for us).

​Regardless what happens... "Parley" has to be a dialogue option when encountering any of these Pirates :p

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

That's not what I'm saying Gromnir (About co-designing), but rather, me personally would rather create something extensive and grand, than something lackluster and bland.

and such is the reason Gromnir suggests finding out from obsidian just how much input you can have.  you are coming up with plans before knowing what you can actual do.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

Well @Aarik showed us the link to NeoGAF

There it says:

"EVERYONE shall be able to participate in naming the island, and creating the vast beauties, lairs, and beauty the Island can offer."

Remember, Option A and Option B are two different, independent things now.

That means for Option B you could really have much less persons to back for it. Because with too many people it would be a hassle to decide on anything.

So at the moment I would propose that someone buys the pirate ship tier, and then later sells "shares" of that tier.

How that someone is going to do that is up to them.

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)