Making the "Black Isle Bastards" come true! Crowd funding a pirate crew!

You know, I was actually doing the math. There were 705 original members of the Obsidian Order from the first game. 

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64752-the-obsidian-order-of-eternity-part-7/

705 x $8 = $5,640. We could buy our own pirate ship for that.

am admitted baffled 'bout the pirate ship v. inn at $5,000.  two entities has purchased the inn option, but thus far no pirate ship takers. what kinda bizarro alternate world has people choosing the inn option instead o' the pirate ship?  doesn't make any sense.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 7

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

You know the idea of spending the additional 8 dollars is that you want to express your special support for the game without expecting something back (other than a very small token).

That's why I was thinking of a custom forum title like we did back for PoE 1 kickstarter or a forum badge.

That said, no one has chosen the pirate ship yet.

The idea IS tempting xD

And there is the option of creating a super pet. Maybe that could be a parrot?

• Like 1

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Damn the idea tickles me more and more.

I mean IF we are going to found a pirate group, isn't it obvious that we'd need a ship? xD

But I have no idea how this would work in practice.

I mean the tier "build a pirate party" includes a lot of rewards other than just creating the pirate party and the ship.

If a group decided to buy that tier together then to whom would the other rewards of that tier be sent?

Also HOW do you actually collect the money as a group?

• Like 1

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Well if you guys want a forum badge I would be happy to throw my hand at designing one.  I think I proved I don't totally suck at designing stuff with the last game :p

That said the idea of going in as a group and funding a pirate ship sounds like a really cool idea, I would definitely throw down extra scratch for it.

EDIT to reply to fluffy.

How you collect it is easy.  You just have to elect a trustworthy chairperson, everyone paypal them their donation, that person makes a special email and Fig account specifically for that one thing, and backs with that account using the exact amount of donations.

Now how you decide who gets what of the additional goodies is a great question.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 4

Damn the idea tickles me more and more.

I mean IF we are going to found a pirate group, isn't it obvious that we'd need a ship? xD

But I have no idea how this would work in practice.

I mean the tier "build a pirate party" includes a lot of rewards other than just creating the pirate party and the ship.

If a group decided to buy that tier together then to whom would the other rewards of that tier be sent?

Also HOW do you actually collect the money as a group?

I'd imagine they'd have to make an "add on" item for the Obsidian Order Pirate ship that's limited to however much it takes to get to $5000.

As for who it'd get sent to that'd be difficult because it also includes a lot of goodies so I don't think this is realistically feasible.

So the best bet is probably the original plan.

Well if you guys want a forum badge I would be happy to throw my hand at designing one.  I think I proved I don't totally suck at designing stuff with the last game :p

That said the idea of going in as a group and funding a pirate ship sounds like a really cool idea, I would definitely throw down extra scratch for it.

EDIT to reply to fluffy.

How you collect it is easy.  You just have to elect a trustworthy chairperson, everyone paypal them their donation, that person makes a special email and Fig account specifically for that one thing, and backs with that account using the exact amount of donations.

Now how you decide who gets what of the additional goodies is a great question.

A trustworthy chairperson should be, in my opinion, someone from Obsidian.

I mean I can tell you that I am trustworthy :p but no one has reason to believe it. Besides I think that if it was someone from Obsidian then the chances would be much higher that people would join in on this.

Now we must be careful to not mix things up.

We have two ideas here:

Idea A) Donate 8 dollars as a symbolic gesture and in return join the Deadfire Pirates here on this forum. You will get a forum badge (or a forum title) in return.

Idea B) Let's try to fund a pirate band and ship together. The question is if we would still call ourselves "The Deadfire Pirates" then. Or if, for example, we should buy a pirate ship for the Obsidian Order. Or be a different group of pirates altogether.

And the question is whether "Idea A" and "Idea B" are mutually exclusive or can be or even should be combined somehow.

Edited by Fluffle

The thing is, a few other RPG forum communities were mostly the ones who banded together to grab the inn rewards for Project Eternity. So there's certainly plenty of precedence. Just not here.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

There could be a way.

Someone funds the pirate ship and is then later on refunded the money by Obsidian from (parts of) the entry fee to the Deadfire Pirates on this forum.

Every member of the Deadfire Pirates on this forum would get a forum badge. And this badge would signify your membership to our pirate crew (on this forum) as well as grant you a voting right when we create the pirate group and the ship for the game.

Does that make sense? Any catches?

For example: Someone buys a pirate ship. Obsidian earns thereby 5000$.

Then, additionally, Obsidian gets entry fees from "Idea A" from one of my posts above.

Let's say we would have 625 members for our pirate crew on this forum. Then Obsidian would earn another 5000$.

And now they would use this additional 5000$ to refund the someone who bought the pirate ship by 4992$ at most.

If the one who buys the ship in the beginning keeps the other rewards then he would later on be refunded by Obsidian by: 5000$ - worth of other rewards in that tier - 8$ dollar membership fee for the pirate crew.

Edited by Fluffle

I think going for a ship would be cool, just have to see if we can get the support.  Maybe ask Obsidian to reserve one for us until we can see what we can do?  I am sure they could easily create a special paypal account for donation collections.  Of course this relies on Obsidian working with us poor forumites.

• Like 1

I am sure they could easily create a special paypal account for donation collections.

That would be easier, yes.

I see you changed the title of the thread. Sneaky.

your idea, sorta.  am nominating you to take the lead.  trustworthy enough fellow.  perhaps guarantee you a spot as "leferd the cabin boy"?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Okay new approach:

We found a pirate group on this forum. The entry fee is 8$. In return you get a badge that signifies your membership. And if we create a pirate band and a ship for the game everyone who has that badge can vote on decisions we make during the process of creation.

Obsidian would make a separate, specific paypal account for this purpose.

As soon as we reached 5000$ the pirate band and ship would be funded.

If we raise more than 5000$ with the entry fees, then Obsidian can keep any surplus money as free donations.

If we do not succeed in raising 5000$ in the first place, then Obsidian can keep the money as free donations.

Your thoughts?

• Like 6

I see you changed the title of the thread. Sneaky.

your idea, sorta.  am nominating you to take the lead.  trustworthy enough fellow.  perhaps guarantee you a spot as "leferd the cabin boy"?

HA! Good Fun!

Thanks, Grom, but a bad idea in so many ways.

Okay new approach:

We found a pirate group on this forum. The entry fee is 8$. In return you get a badge that signifies your membership. And if we create a pirate band and a ship for the game everyone who has that badge can vote on decisions we make during the process of creation.

Obsidian would make a separate, specific paypal account for this purpose.

As soon as we reached 5000$ the pirate band and ship would be funded.

If we raise more than 5000$ with the entry fees, then Obsidian can keep any surplus money as free donations.

If we do not succeed in raising 5000$ in the first place, then Obsidian can keep the money as free donations.

Your thoughts?

Aye, Cap'n. Cabin Boy's Mate Leferd reporting.

Or as an alternative, maybe we can work something out with Obsidian to see if they can add a specific add-on option in FIG for our little pirate enterprise. Anyone who wants to join the crew can just purchase this add on. There should be a way for Obsidian to track how many of these specific add-ons have been purchased, to determine if the $5,000 threshold was reached. 

Of course, this would be extra work on their end...but hey, they've got marketing and community managers now, right?

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 3

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I could pitch in my $280~ pledge and use that (I'd have to cancel that one first).

Speaking of which, how much would we have together if we piled our current pledges together?

EDIT: If we have enough, maybe we could simply ask Obsidian to pile those willing together and put it in the $5000 tier instead? Would solve the logistics pretty neatly.

Edited by Osvir

Just Deadfire Pirates would be enough imo.

I read that as Dread Pirate.

I need sleep or I need to watch Princess Bride soon.

The Dreaded Deadfire Pirate Marauders of the Obsidian Order of Eternity Raiders

• Like 4

The Obsidian Pearl sounds magnificent indeed.

I have already pledged on my own, but of course I would love to be part of the forum's crew making a separate donation. Let's wait for devs words on this.

• Like 2

Edér, I am using WhatsApp!

If we can find a reliable way to do it, then sure. Don't want to hand my money to a complete stranger ;)

Though, if everyone donate 8 dollars we would need 625 people to pledge...

Edited by Flouride
  • Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.