Making the "Black Isle Bastards" come true! Crowd funding a pirate crew!

On the other hand how do we motivate the ones who are already members of the order to raise their pledge by 8 dollars?

Just let me know what you think  :)

We could also start some kind of new order, maybe pirate themed?  ;)

Maybe instead of a custom title, we could get a forum badge (pirate themed  :biggrin:   ) ?

I'd be down for this.

I missed out on the Obsidian Order but I'd happily pledge 8 or however much is decided for something fun like this.

• Like 1

Hi Fluffle :D

We could change the Obsidian Order into the Obsidian Pirates, lol.

I wouldn't say change the Obsidian Order.

I would say there can be a second, new order. And I favor the idea of it being pirate themed.

As far as I understand there are pirates in the Deadfire Archipelago. And it would be cool if we could become such a band of pirates from there.

"The Obsidian Pirates of Deadfire" something like that. Just a proposal, there may be a lot better names, I'm always open to suggestions ;)

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 1

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

I'd like that a lot. I didn't do it before 'cause I love how they use D&D magic-user titles. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Does that mean I could have donated and still kept the D&D title ... oh, no, I blew it.

I went to the Great Green Dragon and voluntarily requested the recision of my title.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I have to admit, I ditched my cloak almost immediately. Kept tripping on the bloody thing. But piracy sounds like fun!

The Obsidian Marauders? Raiders of the Obsidian Isle? The Obsidian Flag?

*fades back into the shadows*

• Like 1

What greater cause is there, than the jingling of coin in my pocket?

...the jingling of coin in your pocket.

I like Obsidian Marauders, too. Maybe as in "Obsidian Marauders of Deadfire".

This could even be seen as a play on words. Because you could see obsidian as being "dead fire", when you think about what obsidian actually is. Lava is not the same as fire I know, but I think it's not that far-stretched, actually.

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 2

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Okay, how about "the Blue Moon Marauders of Deadfire"

The "dead fire" as I explained above is an allusion to "obsidian", while being a reference to the Deadfire Archipelago at the same time.

The blue moon comes from the saying "once in a blue moon". The blue moon is a very long period of time. So if you do something once in a blue moon, you do it very rarely. So the blue moon is an allusion to "eternity"

Not to mention the nice alliteration of "Moon" and "Marauders"

Just Deadfire Pirates would be enough imo.

The Grandmaster of the OOoE approves of this. :p

Yeah that would probably suffice. I approve ;)

Now, how do we do this?

My idea would be:

You raise your pledge by an additional 8 dollars, and then you become a member of the Deadfire Pirates on this forum.

As a token of appreciation you would get a pirate themed forum badge. Or if that is not an option then we

could give out custom forum titles again.

Personally I'm in favor of a forum badge, but someone would have to create one ;)

And I guess we should approach the devs and ask if they are even interested in this?

Anything else I didn't think of?

• Like 2

There's also the problem of actually adding the $8. There doesn't currently seem to be a way to unilaterally add any funds to your pledge on FIG.

I suppose you could get Obsidian to add an Obsidian Order add-on option as an Extra.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Just Deadfire Pirates would be enough imo.

The Grandmaster of the OOoE approves of this. :p

Personally I'm in favor of a forum badge, but someone would have to create one ;)

Haha, no chance, don't even look at me. This is the time for younger guns than me to step forward...  :aiee:

• Like 1
35167v4.jpg

There's also the problem of actually adding the $8. There doesn't currently seem to be a way to unilaterally add any funds to your pledge on FIG.

I suppose you could get Obsidian to add an Obsidian Order add-on option as an Extra.

Thanks for the info, you are right. Seems you cannot just change your pledge to an arbitrary amount.

So they would have to add the "Deadfire Pirate" membership as an extra. Then they should take great care to

stress that adding that extra is just a symbolic gesture to additionally support the crowdfunding.

You know, to avoid that someone adds that extra with expectation of getting something great in return (other than a forum badge or a forum title :p )

You know, I was actually doing the math. There were 705 original members of the Obsidian Order from the first game. 

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64752-the-obsidian-order-of-eternity-part-7/

705 x $8 = $5,640.

cDLYEUr.gif

Actually, only need $5,000.

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 4