Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[CLASS BUILD] The Anvil, the most tough monk around

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Dr <3

Dr <3

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 693 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Since you took your time to condivided your efforts and exerience, i will try to comment your awesome post at the best of my abilities.

DISCLAIMER: i used my build in a "abnormal" solo run, since i recruited some companions to do some stronghold quest. All that i will write comes from my memory, there can be some mistakes around. 

As a remainder, if someone else want to try this build to try the ULTIMATE achivement, remember that:

1) potion are bugged : sometime the game start the "drinking animation" but nothing is going to happen. So if you want to risk and drink a healing potion when in low endurance, you can find yourself dead before you are really able to drink it. Try to drink it when you reach half health.

2) Blood testament gloves are bugged too : you need to re-equip them after every combat or they won't work. If that sicks you, just go for Ryona gloves or Accuracy gloves or speed gloves.

3) You don't need to "upgrade" the enemies (es: go to Stalwart after lvl 9) to earn the achivement.

First, I sold everything during the intro quest (for both of us) since that guy pays about 5x the normal prices.  Then in gilded vale I killed the backer NPC near the temple entrance (can kill without anyone in town caring) to get their plate armor.  That helped a lot.  I rushed a few money making quests and bought the animat summon.  He was useful to distract, heal, and help get mobs to stay in a line for torments reach.

I got the gloves and searing ring, and left the rest of rodricks alone for a while.  I pushed to act II as fast as possible, getting to Stalwart at level 5 or 6 (stopped to get the shade summon, which I used the whole game).  That was a pain, but there's a lot of good equipment and xp to be had there.  It took MANY trips in and our of Stalwart (I could handle single ogres, up to 2, before needing to rest).  Luckily it lets you leave Stalwart during the ambush.

Collected what equipment I could get quickly (boots of speed were really helpful early-mid and again when I fought Llenn) and then proceed to knock out WM1 quests.  I did have to take a couple breaks due to running out of money (lots and lots of flame shield potions) so I did things like rodricks for quick cash.

Ok for selling everything at start, exept if you are tring to slay the whole caravan (i always do that for fun). In that case is useful to buy a weapon with reach (pike or quarterstaff) and a good armor, so you can corner yourself, let a single "paesant" hit you while you slowly kill the carvan boss, the guards, heodan and Calisca.

Plate armor, animat figurine, gloves of manipulation and seraing ring are the item you really need do get ASAP.

I always go to roedrick via upstair temple, speak with him, everyone is a friend now, loot the whole castle ---> more or less 3000 free gold

After finishing act 1 i take a different route. I'll wait to go to Stalwart until lvl 9-11, since as you noted the Ogres are by themself a bad machup for this build :slow hard hitters, with tons of hp, so your retaliation do little against them and you lose every battle a lot of health. They won't kill you, but kill them takes too much time and effort on low levels.

Usually is much safer to do some quest in town to lvl up and earn cash (march steel dagger, the svef smuggler quest,  kill the thiefs in copperlane district to get a Droemel invitation, salty mast quests, brave Derrin quest, the Frontonero quest, the lighthouse quest(a bit later), ecc ecc

For sure i ALWAYS go ASAP for

- all the Droemel quest for the talent and the cash (3500 for selling the gem)

- Grab the shadow figurine from the Valian embassy (need 9 mech)

- the first crucibe knight quest for buy the "shood of faith boots"

- the quest for the Sanguine Plate --> YES, you can do it even in solo. You just have to speak  with Pellagina after thet Droemels kills the merchant (i forgot his name). You don't need to have her in your party.

- The cemetery quests for : the Adra Beetle figurine AND the Gift of the machine talent

- Go to Drydford village ASAP just for buy the girdle of mortal protection (cheap and very useful at the beggining, no fight needed, you can buy it in the Leathersmith store)

Note that after that (that actually is early mid-game) you have 2/3 of the build already done.

Only after that i would go for Stalwart, no need to rush for it.

Ah nearly forgot: once you get in WM1 and beat the sige, do ASAP the ogre cave. If you do it WITHOUT KILL ANY OGRE INSIDE (the ogres outside doesn't count) [wich means sneak to the ice cave in the right, go down, kill the languefath, disarm a trap, kill the ice blights, go upstairs] you can have a farily peaceful discussion with the matron, and at the end you can go outside and find an ogre merchant where you can buy tempered helm and more important : fenwalkers. That item alone turns fight vs languefath in a cakewalk, no more paralyze for you at all or quite.

In most fights figurine are not even needed, but i always take 2 or 3 of them in the quick slot just in case

After you assembled the core of the build you can do more or less as you want. Usually i even start act 3 before go for Stalwart , for add to my equipment Aila Braccia (another antil languafeth/ range mbs tool) and Blood Testament (again no difficut combat involved)

My Thoughts for "hard" fights in the next post

Valsacar

Valsacar

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Thanks Valsacar for the report.

How do you manage Adragans and their petrifying attack as a soloer?

Defenses were really high, I just ignored them.

• Torin likes this

bigwillystyle

bigwillystyle

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • Steam:willdorris

I just wanted to say ... solo-ing with this right now.  I beat those #&^@*(# phantoms in Caed Nua and it was GLORIOUS.  I've never felt so on edge in this game, but amazing.  

• Dr <3 likes this

Dr <3

Dr <3

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 693 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Thks, that fight is actually one of the most fun with this build. 😁

bigwillystyle

bigwillystyle

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 121 posts

Thank you again for putting this up - I got up to lvl 12 and I am getting ready to tackle the final room of Durgan's Battery, which should be ... challenging!

I tweaked a couple of things: Stunning Blow at level 5 [Full Attack, helpful with certain enemies] and I swapped the order of Crucible of Suffering and Iron Wheel.  Otherwise everything is spot-on.  Great build.

One thing I will note: Rooting Pain has an interesting bug that I never noticed before.  If I have Stunning Blow queued up to attack and Rooting Pain triggers, it rolls a Stun attack on everyone that Rooting Pain hits.  I've stunned 3-4 enemies at a time accidentally!  This isn't of course optimal - we want people to hit us! - but it is fun at times.

Dr <3

Dr <3

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 693 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Secret bugs behind every corner... Nice to know

Btw the final battle is much easier than the ambush of spirits after you took the last "dragon eye" shpere... Just stick to a corner and bring with you llengrath and healing potions

Edited by Dr <3, 24 August 2017 - 07:22 AM.

bigwillystyle

bigwillystyle

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 121 posts

Well, you were right about the forge room.  It was (in comparison) a breeze.  Watching the Spirit Wizard cast Shadowflame repeatedly on his own crew was entertaining.

This is my first deep into the game solo run, and I've learned to be a lot more tactical.  Potions of Major Recovery and figurines got me through some insane battles in the Mines & Foundry.  Hard to go back to six-man POTD after solo-ing some of the hardest fights in the game.

My equipment for Durgan's battery was pretty diverse:

Neck: Cloak of the Dying Boar or Rygrmand's Mantle

Gloves: Blood Testament

Armor: Wayfarer's Hide (the +25 vs. Paralysis was money!)

Boots: Consecrated Ground or Long March or Speed (I kited one battle a bit while getting the hang of Battery Sirens solo)

Rings: Deflection / Protection / Bartender's / Combusting Wounds depending on the battle

Weapon Set 1: Whispers of Yenwood + Spirit Slaying Sabre

Weapon Set 2: 2 Exceptional VEssel Slaying Axes

I should be able to get TCS and FCS with this run.  Not sure if I am up to tackling the Ultimate, we'll see.

Dr <3

Dr <3

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 693 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Good luck for your adventure! A guy told me that he managed to do the ultimate with this build, still i do not reccomand this build if you want to go for it. Mainly because by design you have to rely a lot on potions, and the drinking mechanic was and still is very bugged. So it is a bit risky, a chanter is much safer. Nontheless being very sturdy helps a lot, so surely is doable and the build itself could forgive you minor mistakes in fights ( not like a druid or priest where if you get stunned is gg).

Now that you tried the " solo drug " there is no way back to the full party... 😂

Edit: yes the armor swich is a good idea for the battery

Edited by Dr <3, 25 August 2017 - 09:39 AM.

mosspit

mosspit

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 354 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
Just wanna give a quick thanks to Dr <3 for this build.

I have had about 7 playthroughs under my belt and never really liked the idea of extreme dumping of stats. But for the current playthrough, I decided to do things differently so I included a 3Res/7Dex monk. Playthrough was nothing special - 5man (in the spirit of deadfire) and ToI. Using builds I havent used before.

I was pleasantly surprised with the ease of the early game. Caed Nua spirits and elementals, Anslog Compass mushrooms, and The Black Meadow bandits were quite smooth. High Mig/Int makes veteran recovery very effective and High Per/Mig means enemies are killed faster and less likely to turn the encounter to an Attrition battle. I am not far in having reached Defiance Bay but the first act has always been the most inconsistent for me for my ToI playthroughs. It just changed my perspective that a highly-skewed build (min-max) can achieve consistency this way :)

Edited by mosspit, 29 August 2017 - 05:13 PM.

• Dr <3 likes this

Dr <3

Dr <3

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 693 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
One of the thing that made the build strong is that you couple very high hp and high fortitude.
High hp render you able to tank a lot of dmg, so actually having high deflection or reflex is not stricly needed. Girdle of mortal protection synergize even more, since crits do just a little more dmg than the normal hits. And you have also a lot of DR.
High fortitude render you very resistant / immune most status effect ( prone/paralyze/stun ecc) from the beginning, so most of the difficult fights magically becames cakewalks.

Codered

Codered

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
Did You clear all levels ced nua and make all bounties with this build (solo)?
Thanks.

Dr <3

Dr <3

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 693 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Yes
  • Codered likes this

bigwillystyle

bigwillystyle

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 121 posts

Well, Dr <3, I have to tell you that I got whacked.  I got WAY overconfident and went into the Eyeless ambush unprepared.  That battle is easily winnable with this build, but I did not prepare correctly.  

Having played the build through Act I-III, White March I, I am confident it is good for Triple Crown Solo & Frozen Crown Solo.  As long as you don't screw around like I did!  :)

I am of course replaying from scratch, because a man needs a challenge!  The only modest change I made to my earlier build path: I swapped Stunning Shots for Force of Anguish.  I am going to want that long knockdown for the Eyeless.  I may also swap in Deep Pockets to carry an extra set of figurines

Dr <3

Dr <3

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 693 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
The sad rule of iron man 😔

Actually i consider the eyeless ambush one of the most difficult encounter of the game. They are a spike of difficulty after a whole kith area wich you can navigate quite easily.

Helpful things are + speed items to outrun some of them ( aru braker, mahea armour, speed boots, sugar/farmers cream/ your +2 to run skill) so you can fight them once at time; once you start the fight with one on them, mantain the melee engagement, dince the risk of them shooting the fire ray is much lower.

Anyway steadfast is easily unlockable ( just leave some trash mobs in early areas) and needed only for boss fights ( ++dragon), so no need to rush it.

Enjoy your adventure

Edit: use second wind with caution, i remember that somebody ( Boeroer?) reported that using it can accidentally activate a fire retaliation ( your racial) upon yourself. This is a bug tgat can potentially kill you on spot

Edited by Dr <3, 13 September 2017 - 12:45 PM.

• grausch likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users