[CLASS BUILD] The Anvil, the most tough monk around

• 2 months later...

Dr <3,

Thanks to your build I was able to get Ultimate achievement. Prior to that I completed base Pillars once after it was released, but I always wanted to try TCS.

Since it has been a while since I played it last time, I have cleared all possible content and it turned out that both kicking and burning everyone is quite fun 😀

Few comments about some of the enemies:

- First battle with Eyeless - I have used Boots of Speed and ran to the right. As a result I was able to split them and deal with them one by one. I could not split them without the boots.

- Alpine Dragon - no issues there - eat, aggro, kill.

- Adra Dragon - similarly to the Alpine Dragon. I was amazed that I could do it with such ease while I still rembered full party wipes during previous run 😉

- Llengrath - this one required a few attempts. Generally I have found the battle manageable  except Turisulfus - that green lizard was hitting like a truck... After a few tries I have respecced a bit - increased dex to 10 (by lowering Int) and boosted The Rain of Godagh Field to legendary along with beast slayer. Once I finished dancing around Gafonercos, Turisulfus had minor injuries. So for the next 15 minutes or so he was chasing me and was getting shot. A lot. It was a bit cheesy, but got the work done.

- Thaos - not much issues with the actual fight but it got interesting as only one guardian aggroed me first. I disabled Thaos first, then fought with the guardian (stunning bastard), Then I killed Thaos and afterwards remaning guardian. Afterwards the game froze. I was able to progress and finish the game once I have restarted the game.

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2017 at 11:43 AM, procsus said:

Is this build still viable for soloing on POTD?

Because I'm getting my ass kicked - "Really, see shadows and spectres dying while you are permastunned is hilarous." - I die too quickly, they are laugning at me. :)

I'm level 4, and I have Ring of Searing Flames, Rymrgand's Mantle, Plate Armor and Whispers of Yenwood as you suggest. I've also followed your talents picks to the letter.

My endurance is 153, DR 16.

What am I doing wrong? Am I missing something obvious? Sorry if I'm noobish 😄

You can sneak through the entire dungeon, imo if you grab stealth boots and gloves of manipulation. There is maybe one fight where I solo pull a single small ooze to reset my stealth enough to slip by the last oozes right before the end. I never pass this temple up since I'm on console and the money cheat turn in, while tedious AF, is too good to pass up. 

My question, to anyone who cares to answer, is Burneo, my monk is around level 5 or 6 maybe, and the dungeons are tough, so I can't push to get the supper plate. The second Crucible Knights quest turnin is murderous, and worst of all, and this is why I'm posting,  the forgotten quest, with the armor needed for this build is devastatingly hard. Even with me popping off spectres to start it. They gang up on me and grind me down. I've tried running away, and some of them wait at the bottom of the map, but I still haven't been able to crack it.  I have tried rotfinger gloves, which helped me in the crucible knights first quest, but not the quest, the forgotten. Thanks for reading my spewage! 

Your level is too low. You can solve a lot of quests without any fighting. Gain more levels and come back later. Every level-up is a pretty significant step and can make a lot of difference in the early and mid game.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 1 month later...

This build will work in Story Mode. If you feel that you can't generate enough wounds because enemies can't hit you: use the ability "Mortification of the Soul". 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 8 months later...

I may be a little late to this party, but I just finished my The Ultimate run with this build. While it had few tough moments, it was incredibly easy most of the time.

As some have mentioned, the Belt of the Royal Deadfire Cannoneer is absolutely insane for this build. I'd recommend it being the very first item you save money towards. It trivializes not only the Shades, but most of the early game. I ended up never taking it off, since it offers Flame Shield on nearly every fight and +8 worth of stats (+6 later with Ryona's Breastplate), without even mentioning Torrent of Flame.

I rushed WM 1 and 2 mainly in order to get Ryona's Breastplate, as it's such an incredible item for monks. Since I got Bittercut at an early level, I incorporated it into the build, resulting in my only two changes: I added Spirit of Decay and Two Weapon Style instead of Cautious Attack and the optional last talent. Using the Belt and Bittercut AOE abilities after Combusting Wounds proved to be a room clearer.

While Blood Testament is in theory great, it's still bugged to this day and must often be re-equipped. Since I couldn't be bothered most of the time, I ended up almost always using Ryona's Vambraces. Together with Hiro's Mantle they make for a great DR combo, besides the other benefits they offer. I would also often use Gathbin Family Signet to start some tough fights with Lord's Authority and for the AOE buff.

All bounties, Concelhaut, Adra and Sky Dragons and Thaos were trivial. I expected the Magran's Faithful to be tough since they gave my previous full party run a hard time, but I just bum-rushed and obliterated them. Alpine Dragon took a bit of practice since I was still underleveled and had obviously not maxed Ryona's. Llengrath also took some practice as I figured the best positioning. I used Drawn in Spring instead of Bittercut for that fight. Besides that, the only fights I vividly remember giving me trouble were some of the Battery Siren fights in Durgan's Battery and maybe some of the earlier tough fights such as Orimanth and Lilith, but all such fights can be made considerably easier with positioning and smart figurine usage.

On a side note, I had actually not finished the game before. I got bored at some point in Act 3 with a full party, and decided it would be fun to have my first completion also be my The Ultimate run, so I got a whole slew of achievements out of this. Thank you for the fantastic build, good Dr <3.

Edited by Gorr