[CLASS BUILD] The Anvil, the most tough monk around

Yes try it lvl 8.

If you use aru braker as armour ( the red brigantine, +1 speed) and a farmers cream as food (+2 might, +1 speed), you should be able to run back very fast in the beginning of the fight. Doing that with a bit of luck just monk and rogue come after you so you can split the group a little. Also figurines are helpful ( beetles+ shadows).

But all of this is not in the spirit of the build, so is better to waith a little more and crush them all togheter with your might.

Sanguine plate / coat of ill payment : better quality aviable and piercing proof ( piercing proof imho is better than crushing. Crush proof with plate made your defenses more "rounded", but if you play solo, in most scenarios only 2-3 enemies can engage you in melee, while much more can hit by range. And more or less all the ranged damage come in piercing form)

Whisper of yen : better quality aviable/ fire lash

Other items are all non enchantable ( soulbound ).

Not much discussion because there are not many options

That wouldn't stack with the Iron Circle, so I doubt it (Yenwood stacks as weapons and shields count separately to armor). Look for an attribute not already boosted by the other equipment, any kind of boost is useful to shore up defences even if not vital for the build.

• Like 1

How do you deal with mobs like the Battery Sirens in the White Forge?  They just perma "Stuck" you while they kill you from range.

Edit:  Also, do you recommend the harder difficulty setting for WM2 with this build?

Edited by Dreamsickle

There's a ring that gives you immunity to stuck (Wyrwood Ring, but if you're doing a "pure" solo run you can't get it since it's from a stronghold adventure) and the stag helmet that also makes you immune (Fire Godlikes can't wear helmets though) as well as several items that give you +25 defense against it (Wayfarer's Hide, Orlan's Bramble Ring, Tempered Helm (again: FIre Godlike, so no)) or +20 and 3 secs reduced affliction time (Fenwalkers) which is even better in my opinion. This can cause grazes of stuck to be very short or even get omitted entirely.

Then you should use potions of protection (very powerful against all afflictions) or even better: Scroll of Prayer against Restraint which will make you immune. You need 6 lore for that.

Against Sirens it's also crucial to avoid getting paralyzed which can be done with the same items, but you need a Scroll of Prayer against Imprisonment (lore 10) to become entirely immune.

I feel that most of the time a high fort defense (that you'll have with this build) + Fenwalkers is enough to deal with those afflictions and thus you don't necessarily need the lore.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

There's a ring that gives you immunity to stuck (Wyrwood Ring, but if you're doing a "pure" solo run you can't get it since it's from a stronghold adventure) and the stag helmet that also makes you immune (Fire Godlikes can't wear helmets though) as well as several items that give you +25 defense against it (Wayfarer's Hide, Orlan's Bramble Ring, Tempered Helm (again: FIre Godlike, so no)) or +20 and 3 secs reduced affliction time (Fenwalkers) which is even better in my opinion. This can cause grazes of stuck to be very short or even get omitted entirely.

Then you should use potions of protection (very powerful against all afflictions) or even better: Scroll of Prayer against Restraint which will make you immune. You need 6 lore for that.

Against Sirens it's also crucial to avoid getting paralyzed which can be done with the same items, but you need a Scroll of Prayer against Imprisonment (lore 10) to become entirely immune.

I feel that most of the time a high fort defense (that you'll have with this build) + Fenwalkers is enough to deal with those afflictions and thus you don't necessarily need the lore.

Yeah, I have some of those helmets in my stash and I'm like, "man, these would be awesome right now."  Thanks for the tips!  I'll grab the Fenwalkers and give it a try.  My fortitude is 120 currently and in general, I still get knocked down, stuck, stunned, paralyzed etc quite often.  At what point do you really get to see fortitude doing its thing? 

What lvl are you? Did you upscaled?

Edit: your fortitude is relatively low, so you are underleveled or you forgot to use all the right boosts ( food, rest bonus, prostitutes ecc). Fenwalers are very good, if you don't kill any ogre in the cavern you will find a ogre merchant outside the cave that sells them. When against hard cc spamming foes, drink a big yellow potion at the start of the fight can be a life saver. Or use an evocation like beetles or shadows to eat the alpha strikes.

Edited by Dr <3

That's because it's very hard to reach defensive values that make enemies miss you all the time.

Have a look at the accuracy vs. defense mechanic: Attack Resolution

You can see that you need a very big gap between enemies' accuracy and your defense to achieve only misses.

With 120 fortitude the enemy can still graze you theoretically if they only have 36 accuracy (which they usually don't ;)).

And if the enemies' special attacks even graze then the affliction will affect you, but it will be 50% shorter. That's the reason why Fenwalkers are so good. The -50% duration from graze, paired with the -3 second means that if you get afflicted at all it's a very, very short duration that's left.

Edited by Boeroer

I'm level 13, and yes I did upscale.  I'm still in Act 2 of the main game, so I suppose I could always go back to that and hit 16.  I wanted to take the opportunity to grab Steadfast early as it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to grab a soulbound weapon I can't level up because I've already "finished" the game, but I'm having a hard time with the Battery Sirens. 

The Sirens are usually in big groups of shades, spectres and wraiths (which are all really easy to kill just by battle-forged), but once they're all gone I'm left with 2 Battery Sirens which are usually on either side of the room so there's nothing I can do.  You can't split pull or kite the fights because you get teleported all over the place at the start.  However, with the input from Boeroer and Dr <3 I should be able to negate the "stuck" status long enough to close the gap and kill them.

Reading up on the quest to get Steadfast I see you have to deal with 3 Eyeless Hammer.  They are immune to fire, have like 750+ endurance on upscaled difficulty, have some serious knockdowns and do a serious damage ranged attack (and there's 3 of them).  Even if you get them one at a time, how do you deal with the fire immunity?  Slash is their weak spot, but we've lost battle-forged, rooting pain, turning wheel, combusting wounds, potion of flame shield, hiro's mantle (maybe?)... So we're left doing ~15 slashing damage per attack?  Am I understanding this correctly?  Game on. :)

You can simply use St. Ydwen's Redeemer and destroy them quite easily. You don't even need to bind it. The vessel destruction also works without binding. You only need to have at least the same level as the Eyeless, so don't go there underleveled if you want to use the Redeemer.

Another way is to use Tidefall or Drawn in Spring since the wounding even works if your physical damage roll is 0 due to immunity (wounding dmaage gets calculated pre DR and immunites). You can add Blood Testament Gloves' raw damage lash to that, too. Those should also do damage with Battle Forged and other retaliation effects if you have some wounds. Blood Testament's raw lash works with all forms of retaliation (except Rooting Pain).

I will have to try that when I get a chance!  I managed to take one down by split pulling it and beating it to death, but it left me at such low health that I couldn't survive the others.  Where are the Blood Testament gloves located?

Edited by Dreamsickle

Oh come on you are still a monk, have some pride. Swich back to the basics: punch / torment reach them to death. Crush DR of eyeless is just 5 more than slash, it doesn't matter much. If you took also force of anguish is a good moment to use it, expecially to prone them when they are charging the fire death ray ( the only really dangerous attack that they do).

Also bring with you a +40% healing rest bonus before the fight ( before enter the tend of the iron flail fortress) and a stock of potions : 5-10 vital essence, 5-10 major healing ( purple ones), that should make you unkillable long enough.

My only caveat: split them at the start of the fight, that is important. After all i belive that the eyeless ambush is the most difficult fight in wm2 togheter with llengrath.

Edin: ninjaed... Also the redeemer is good, Boeroer is right

Edited by Dr <3

If you have problems hitting with Force of Anguish:

make sure you don't use it with fists. Transcendent Suffering's ACC bonus doesn't get applied to Force of Anguish (and also Torment's Reach) for some weird and buggy reason.

Instead, If you use a single handed dagger/rapier/club/spear, your Force of Anguish will have +17 + quality enchantment's ACC instead. So for example a single handed Drawn in Spring would give you +29 ACC compared to your fists. That way you can send them prone very reliably for a long time. FoA is a primary attack anyways.

After that you can switch to a more damaging setup to finish them off if you like.

• Like 1

Oh come on you are still a monk, have some pride. Swich back to the basics: punch / torment reach them to death. Crush DR of eyeless is just 5 more than slash, it doesn't matter much. If you took also force of anguish is a good moment to use it, expecially to prone them when they are charging the fire death ray ( the only really dangerous attack that they do).

Also bring with you a +40% healing rest bonus before the fight ( before enter the tend of the iron flail fortress) and a stock of potions : 5-10 vital essence, 5-10 major healing ( purple ones), that should make you unkillable long enough.

My only caveat: split them at the start of the fight, that is important. After all i belive that the eyeless ambush is the most difficult fight in wm2 togheter with llengrath.

Edin: ninjaed... Also the redeemer is good, Boeroer is right

I'd like to use a grappling hook and rope to climb up on its shoulders and make it laser beam its buddies, but the game doesn't let you get that creative.

Sanguine plate / coat of ill payment : better quality aviable and piercing proof ( piercing proof imho is better than crushing. Crush proof with plate made your defenses more "rounded", but if you play solo, in most scenarios only 2-3 enemies can engage you in melee, while much more can hit by range. And more or less all the ranged damage come in piercing form)

Perhaps this is something that has changed since you last played?

https://ibb.co/kjb5HG

https://ibb.co/mTTGrb

I enchanted it immediately upon picking it up and it automatically added the extras once I met their requirements.

Edit: Champion's Boon isn't proccing... ><

Edited by Dreamsickle

I enchanted it immediately upon picking it up and it automatically added the extras once I met their requirements.

Oh my... Have you used a console command like freerecipestoggle? All soulbound items were non enchantable for sure until 3.07 version, this should be a bug.

Anyway a durgan refined and burning lash steadfast is indeed stronger...

If you don't apply your enchantments champions boon works?

Just checked with v. 3.7: no enchanting for soulbounds. I didn't install the beta patch 3.8 and don't intend to. Can somebody confirm v. 3.8 beta? This would be a serious bug.

Edited by Boeroer

Oh my... Have you used a console command like freerecipestoggle? All soulbound items were non enchantable for sure until 3.07 version, this should be a bug.

Anyway a durgan refined and burning lash steadfast is indeed stronger...

If you don't apply your enchantments champions boon works?

Still doesn't proc.  Being able to enchant soulbound weapons isn't limited to Steadfast either.  I can enchant St. Ydwens Redeemer as well.  I didn't enable any special console command like "freerecipietoggle; however, I do have IE Mod because I screwed up with gift from the machine and freed everyone before I met the guy that gives you the talent and my most recent save before I freed everyone was from 4 days prior so I used console commands to give myself the talent.

This shouldn't have any effect on being able to enchant soulbound equipment tho?

Edit: I'm running the current version of the game off Steam with WM1 & 2 and Deadfire pack expansions.

Edited by Dreamsickle

Just so I'm understanding correctly: when an enemy dies from any source of damage, Champion's Boon has 25% chance to trigger?  As opposed to say 25% on kill with Steadfast.

Is there anything that would cause this buff to be overridden?  In big fights, 10+ mobs, how much uptime does this buff have?