2017 Celebrity Deaths

Oerwinde

Most of you might be too young to remember Judge Joe Wapner from the People's Court TV show in the '80s but he passed away today at the age of 97. Wow. He was the first "TV court" judge. There have been many since of varying degrees of seriousness & success. http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/%E2%80%98people%E2%80%99s-court%E2%80%99-judge-joseph-wapner-dead-at-97/ar-AAnsFUQ?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

Bill Paxton though... way too young.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

have never added to the body count o' these threads, but didn't want the passing o' a giant to go unacknowledged in these parts.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/23/science/mildred-dresselhaus-dead-queen-of-carbon.html?_r=0

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Richard Hatch, actor best known as Apollo in the original BATTLESTAR GALACTICA has passed away.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/02/07/richard-hatch-dead-battlestar-galactica-actor-dies/

When I first heard this, I thought it was about the first winner of the reality show Survivor that had died.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I think it the article I read had said complications from surgery but little else

Oh, and that he is one of only 2 actors to be killed by a xenomorph, Predator, and Terminator

I'm on my phone so it's hard to link things so please forgive me

I was told it was a stroke during heart surgery. Which suuuuucks.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Film expert, Hollywood Reporter columnist, author, actor (mostly with Desilu; Lucille Ball was a mentor and encouraged him to write about movies) and TCM movie host Robert Osborne passed away at 84.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

• 2 weeks later...

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Huh, I thought he was already dead.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

RIP Chuck Berry. :(

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

RIP comic book artist Bernie Wrightson. He did a few high profile series outside the horror genre (like Batman: The Cult), but it's probably his horror work that he'll be best remembered for.

Besides work for Warren's Creepy and Eerie, he did a well regarded set of illustrations for Frankenstein and illustrated Steven King's Cycle of the Werewolf.

But it's as the co-creator (with Len Wein) of SWAMP THING that I think most people identified him with.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

RIP comic book artist Bernie Wrightson. He did a few high profile series outside the horror genre (like Batman: The Cult), but it's probably his horror work that he'll be best remembered for.

Besides work for Warren's Creepy and Eerie, he did a well regarded set of illustrations for Frankenstein and illustrated Steven King's Cycle of the Werewolf.

But it's as the co-creator (with Len Wein) of SWAMP THING that I think most people identified him with.

Not surprising. He was so sick he couldn't even be interviewed for the Swamp Thing documentary that came with Justice League Dark.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Not surprising. He was so sick he couldn't even be interviewed for the Swamp Thing documentary that came with Justice League Dark.

No not surprising; he'd (or more accurately, his wife) had announced his retirement. His brain cancer and its treatment had left him mostly unable to write or draw.

• 2 weeks later...

“Show business is my life. When I was a kid I sold insurance, but nobody laughed.”

RIP Don Rickles

Thomas Sowell