2017 Celebrity Deaths

Oerwinde

What a horribly morbid thread....

With all due respect to the various folks who have past away, celebs are nothing special. People die every day, good people and bad people. The in recent times increased obsession with 'celebrity deaths' is a reflection of some of the worst aspects of modern society.

I hope this threads dies sooner than later.

In all honesty the reason I update this thread with some regularity is because it's a good chance to further divulge their work, and only do so when the artist/celebrity in question is someone I admired to a degree or another. On the other hand, people like Leibezeit, Wetton, Hurt, or even Manfrotto who's best known as an inventor and industry founder, are people whose death did affect me, because I did have a link with their work and liked them as people. Being a celebrity has little to do with paying respect to a person you cared for, however distantly, in their death.

• Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

What a horribly morbid thread....

I wouldn't say it's that morbid. It's not as though we're all sitting here crying our eyes out - it's an opportunity to share the work - hopefully interesting and/or good - that people have done throughout their lives, people many of us may not have ever heard of. I know what the title of the thread says, but many of these weren't even really celebrities...just interesting and noted people whose time have apparently come and gone and whom we might appreciate to learn a little about.

It's also a way to keep updated on the more major deaths, too, I guess. Even though the majority of us are bound to hear plenty enough about those already...

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I frequent a forum on certain classic films that has a complete forum dedicated to memorializing those of artistic talent who have passed away (...and its been going on so long, memorializing some of the posters of the board).

Given that we've had individual threads on various people here before, I don't think there's anything wrong with mentioning people of distinction - actors, directors, scientists, musicians, writers, artists, etc.

And with that in mind, Bruce Lansbury, producer of Mission: Impossible, Wild, Wild West, Knight Rider and - working with his older sister - Murder She Wrote passed away - http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/bruce-lansbury-angela-brother-tv-producer-dead-87-article-1.2973846

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

And Ivan Koloff

And long-time TV actor Warren Frost, (Doc Hayward in TWIN PEAKS amid many credits) also passed away.  He was also the father of Twin Peaks co-creator Mark Frost.

And Time Magazine's film critic Richard Schieckel has also passed away.  He was also an extensive documentarian with 5 emmy nominations for his documentaries on film (like THE MEN WHO MADE THE MOVIES (1973)).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/feb/22/cult-japanese-director-seijun-suzuki-dies-aged-93

Seijun Suzuki died. It makes me sad to an extent, though 93's not a shabby age to go. For those not familiar with his wonderful filmography, go check out Tokyo Drifter, Branded to Kill and Gate of Flesh!

Edited by algroth

93 is a good age, but you can't help but wonder what he could have done if his dismissal from Nikkatsu in '67 and the subsequent lawsuit he won hadn't led to his blacklisting for a decade. Although with Nikkatsu's content change in 1974, there's no telling really what his career would have been like during that period, I guess.

I'm pretty sure I know his films primarily from reputation, though, as I haven't delved too deeply into the Nikkatsu catalogue.

• Like 1

93 is a good age, but you can't help but wonder what he could have done if his dismissal from Nikkatsu in '67 and the subsequent lawsuit he won hadn't led to his blacklisting for a decade. Although with Nikkatsu's content change in 1974, there's no telling really what his career would have been like during that period, I guess.

I'm pretty sure I know his films primarily from reputation, though, as I haven't delved too deeply into the Nikkatsu catalogue.

As a bit of a Japanophile, especially when it comes to arts (cinema and literature especially), I'd tell you to investigate some more on their catalogue as some of the directors working with them at the time were really interesting, and vital for the whole Japanese New Wave and such. Shohei Imamura in particular is my favorite Japanese filmmaker and he saw his rise to fame in that studio (even if he'd make his best work later too). Pigs and Battleships, The Insect Woman and Intentions of Murder, all available as a box-set from Criterion, are well worth getting, he's got one of the keenest and most interesting eyes I've come across in cinema. There's also Koreyoshi Kurahara, and Ko Nakahira. All the same it occurs to me that all these directors were very much at odds with the studio at the time, to my awareness the films of Imamura and Suzuki at least were very badly seen by the studio heads, and were bound to break apart sooner or later. With Suzuki I reckon it would have happened either way it played out, it just did in the worst possible manner.

The Criterion Collection is certainly an embarrassment of riches in many ways.  There is so much there to try and work through.

The Criterion Collection is certainly an embarrassment of riches in many ways.  There is so much there to try and work through.

Can't hurt to have more - to this day I still hear people bemoaning the lack of this film or other. Can't get their hands on everything though.

It's certainly my go-to home video distributor, I've spent more money buying out stuff in their catalogue than I have DVD/Blus of any other company. Those B&N sales are a godsend...

Bill Paxton :(

not particular old.  assume an accident or a unique health issue.

sad news, but even so, can't help but remember him as chet donnelly and private hudson.  need at least grin a bit when we do so. oh well. too young.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I think it the article I read had said complications from surgery but little else

Oh, and that he is one of only 2 actors to be killed by a xenomorph, Predator, and Terminator

I'm on my phone so it's hard to link things so please forgive me

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

RIP

vid

Sorry. Couldn't resist. RIP.

part o' the reason we never confuse is pullman has never done a private hudson or chet character, and such is how we always first think o' paxton.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Twister? Come onnnnn, people.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h5iKf65xWhk

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling