PCGamesN's everything we know

Extra, extra, read all about it:

http://www.pcgamesn.com/pillars-of-eternity-2/pillars-of-eternity-2-release-date-story-setting

“In Pillars 1, we dropped the factions at the end of Act 2, and so [players] didn't really feel like their choices were super significant,” admits Sawyer. “Something that I think Tyranny did much better, and something that we want to do for Pillars II, is really establish the factions much more clearly - give the player clearer choices, and let them know when they’re approaching consequences for the choices they made.”

OLD COMPANIONS IMPORTED FROM POE1 SAVE: As Sawyer puts it: “If you made certain choices with them that took them in a bad direction, when they come back, they’re kind of screwed up.”

“There’s so much stuff we're pushing in terms of new 3D stuff within that 2D space,” Sawyer expands. “It’s crazy sometimes now to go back and look at the stuff in Pillars 1, which I still think looks nice, but looking at Pillars II and the technological jumps that we’ve done is pretty incredible. We’re just doing stuff that no one else is doing.”

Also:

Eothas, the Eoran deity of light and rebirth, has inhabited the stone titan buried beneath the player stronghold Caed Nua for millennia.

7e7cdf16-s.jpg

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Eothas, the Eoran deity of light and rebirth, has inhabited the stone titan buried beneath the player stronghold Caed Nua for millennia.

7e7cdf16-s.jpg

I don't quite get the joke here. In case you think that Eothas was inhabitating the stone titan (its actually adra) for millennia, the millennia refers to the titan being buried there for so long, not for Eothas inhabitating it.

I think we can be reasonably sure that Eothas was not in that statue during Pillars 1, and for quite some time before that. ;)

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

If I had to wager a guess... I'd say Eothas was caught in one of the Engwithan Machines that the Leaden Key activated, and when we defeated Thaos and shut down the machine (as a canonical ending) Eothas was set free. Keep in mind that Eothas is just a mass of souls, and would still be susceptible to that technology. Then it took some time for him to gather strength, and he used the Statue under Caed Nua to achieve it. So begins Deadfire.

• Like 3

the millennia refers to the titan being buried there for so long, not for Eothas inhabitating it.

That would make of "inhabited" an awkward lexical choice, and of present perfect and odd choice of verbal tense. The sentence as it is worded does indeed sound like Eothas has been in the statue for millennia; other meanings could have been conveyed a lot less awkwardly and less vaguely, imo.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

the millennia refers to the titan being buried there for so long, not for Eothas inhabitating it.

That would make of "inhabited" an awkward lexical choice, and of present perfect and odd choice of verbal tense. The sentence as it is worded does indeed sound like Eothas has been in the statue for millennia; other meanings could have been conveyed a lot less awkwardly and less vaguely, imo.

Maybe they should have said 'infested.'

Well, for a soul taking over a body, "to inhabit it" is an appropriate term - if maybe a bit uncommon, but mostly because most people don't talk about souls jumping between bodies in their daily lives. ;)

It's a bit ambiguous because in this sentence, the "for millennia" could be referring to either verb - "has inhabited" or "buried", and maybe they could've made that clearer. OTOH, if you know PoE1, you'll also know what's meant there.

• Like 1

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!