Silas Vekker is on hard mode

elcoderdude

Question

In scenario 6.1, Cabin in the Snow, Silas Vekker is a bit more challenging than he is in the card game. I'm wondering if this is intentional.

See  https://www.dropbox.com/s/qj901a27v8eu5dz/vekker.png?dl=0

In the digital game, Silas has the powers

Before you act, each character at this location must summon and encounter Silas. If any character does not defeat Silas, Silas deals 1d4-1 Poison damage to that character, and is undefeated.

Compare the card game:

Each character at this location encounters Silas. If any character does not defeat Silas, Silas deals 1d4-1 Poison damage to that character and is undefeated.

Expecting the card game behavior, and not reading the digital card closely, Lem and Valeros, teaming up (as they should) at the Village House, encounter Silas. (Fortunately, on Lem's turn.) I throw in the kitchen sink to get Valeros's d4 over Silas's 14 Wisdom check, and have just enough left to succeed with Lem's d6, with a card to spare for the close. THEN LEM HAS TO FIGHT HIM AGAIN.

Now -- that's true to how the digital card reads... but why? There isn't a bane in any released card game set, that I can think of, that causes the encountering character to encounter it twice. (OK. I thought of one. But still.)

A 14 Wisdom check is formidable for anyone not named Kyra or Lini. Why was Silas made harder in the digital game? My guess is the digital BYA power is supposed to read "each other character at this location must summon and encounter Silas".

(For the record -- naturally Lem got his clock cleaned. Then, the duo regrouped, found Silas, defeated him 3 times on one turn, and were able to eke out a win in the scenario. Not by much.)

Edited by elcoderdude

1 answer to this question