Josh Sawyer Something Awful PoE2 Posts

I literally can't understand your problem with level cap in NWN2. I've played it and MotB 10-15 times each and the level cap was never a problem. You didn't like the level cap, some other people didn't as well, but without hard statistics that's all that can really be said about it. It might be a minority, it might be a majority, but I have no respect for those that try to presume wide acceptance of their own beliefs without the ability to prove it.

Well you has no problem with lvl cap, good for you. Why you mention this? Who knows -  im speaking about facts of nwn2 history, you speaking about your personal felling. Try to make a sense out this. ;/ Buy ok, fine, lets prove the shape of Earth, it complete irrelevant to the point i had made, but i will indulge your sensation for white knighting, this one time

-- 1 sec in goggle - "nwn2 level cap" google robo-brains instantly autocomplete it into "neverwinter nights 2 level cap remover" as most searchable,  About 205,000 results (0.48 seconds) still yet in 2017, which is huge for game from 2006. Yeah so much "minority" that you can even find Josh explanation why lvl cap is so low. Not to mention servers with lvl cap 40 as big "selling point". Yeh dude, congrat with joining internet, you obviously wasn't been around when people has complained all over different forums about it. And you wan't observed fast dying of nwn2, while fans of nwn1 is keeping game alive even now. Granted nwn2 died pretty fast due bad mods support, but low lvl cap has one of little problems that helped the process.

Edited by stiven

Sorry for my bag English.  :dancing:

"a willingness to point out shortcomings in game systems is perceived as josh elitism."

Oh, no. I'll point out the flaws of D&D and other class-based systems all day long. It's a desire to minimize the influences of pretty much every well-known mainstream game and system combined with a general tendency to dismiss the concepts, ideas, and tropes of those systems.

as already stated, josh has frequent advocated aspects of d&d editions post 2.0.  and again, there were common (unfair) criticisms o' josh attempting to turn poe into d&d 4.0.  as such, your perceived marginalization by josh does not align with our observations or the consensus feedback o' much o' the poe beta folks.

HA! Good Fun!

I've often seen Josh talk about his time playing D&D and the fun he's had with D&D; rarely if ever have I seen him point out features and aspects of D&D that he likes and wishes to emulate or even keep in a game.

Regardless, this is all way more defensive aspects from a bunch of forum posters over a game developer that none of us know that I ever expected a non-judgemental basic obersvational statement to obtain. Again, I'm not attacking Josh, this was never meant to be an attack on Josh, this was simply an obersavation of my own that is admittedly based on fragmentary information from incomplete sources (re: interviews, etc).

This conversation is over. I have no intention of arguing with any of you about the finer points of Josh Sawyers personality. **** that.

Edited by Katarack21

well, somebody is channeling their inner jonathan frakes

QE1adSZ.gif

good on you for not keeping it all pent up.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"a willingness to point out shortcomings in game systems is perceived as josh elitism."

Oh, no. I'll point out the flaws of D&D and other class-based systems all day long. It's a desire to minimize the influences of pretty much every well-known mainstream game and system combined with a general tendency to dismiss the concepts, ideas, and tropes of those systems.

I dunno man, Ars Magica seems plenty mainstream to me.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I'm very grateful that you guys keep us up to date. Buuut... the images from SA are not readable on my mobile and you can't maginfy the forum posts if you use the mobile version of the forum (I know I'm a spoiled child). I'd have no problem with a simple copy & paste in quote-tags or so. If that doesn't bother you of course. :)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 4

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I literally can't understand your problem with level cap in NWN2. I've played it and MotB 10-15 times each and the level cap was never a problem. You didn't like the level cap, some other people didn't as well, but without hard statistics that's all that can really be said about it. It might be a minority, it might be a majority, but I have no respect for those that try to presume wide acceptance of their own beliefs without the ability to prove it.

Well you has no problem with lvl cap, good for you. Why you mention this? Who knows -  im speaking about facts of nwn2 history, you speaking about your personal felling. Try to make a sense out this. ;/ Buy ok, fine, lets prove the shape of Earth, it complete irrelevant to the point i had made, but i will indulge your sensation for white knighting, this one time

-- 1 sec in goggle - "nwn2 level cap" google robo-brains instantly autocomplete it into "neverwinter nights 2 level cap remover" as most searchable,  About 205,000 results (0.48 seconds) still yet in 2017, which is huge for game from 2006. Yeah so much "minority" that you can even find Josh explanation why lvl cap is so low. Not to mention servers with lvl cap 40 as big "selling point". Yeh dude, congrat with joining internet, you obviously wasn't been around when people has complained all over different forums about it. And you wan't observed fast dying of nwn2, while fans of nwn1 is keeping game alive even now. Granted nwn2 died pretty fast due bad mods support, but low lvl cap has one of little problems that helped the process.

Look I'd explain this to you but I have neither the patience or the crayons to do so. Enjoy being blocked.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

You guys...

He talked about Josh's demeanor. Not about his capabilities.

Ofc he is capable. Thats what brings on the slighty snobby attitude.

The more skilled the more easy it is to develop that.

I even have it bz im good at things.

Its a flaw. A mild flaw.

And one i can relate too so i dont care one bit about it.

But if somebody says A and then all you guys do is build upon B it doesnt argue against point A. At all!

To be frank:

The man is a game designer.

He is good at what he does.

If he has hipster/sobby attitude it figures he wants to stand out/be unique/original/superior. All qualities that push him to make such games.

And now with crowdfunding and internet you get pushed into the masses (which has a LOT of benefits)

But suddenly you get thousands of people to interact with...

How much of genpop is a retard? 10%?

Thats 100s of doofus guys thinking they know better asking stuff thats REALLY REALLY stupid.

Haha.

The man should get a look for being snobby.

The man should get a gold medal for not shooting somebody with a shotgun in the face after that much interaction with some people haha

Ive never seen him snap or insult anybody. Or even be rude.

Yes. He comes over as elitist.

No. Its not the end of the world.

;)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

lnRnKpL.png

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

So the modal of the pistol is to use it as melee weapon?

I think over 90% of players will shoot both pistols and then switch to a melee weapon.

The only other thing I could think of is somebody who has 4 weapon slots, fast switching and hoping all hard enemies are dead after 8 shots.

Pistols as melee weapon will surely be weaker than other melee weapons, otherwise it makes not much sense to use normal melee weapons.

Well, after some reading I wound this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_sword

You could have some special weapons that are not the best pistol and not the best sword, but useful for both things.

I like the polish axe pistol at the bottom of the page most.

Pistols as melee weapon will surely be weaker than other melee weapons, otherwise it makes not much sense to use normal melee weapons.

Sawyer specifically says they'll be useable as clubs, which suggests that they'll have the same stats as clubs while the modal is activated. You might still be right if the enchantments on pistols are inapplicable at melee range, which could be the case for stuff like increased reload speed. That being said, the enchantment features for pistols from Pillars 1 are easily applicable to melee weapons as well and I wouldn't expect that to change in Pillars 2 overall.

I'm all for pistol whipping myself and think the option's missing from entirely too many games, but if each weapon gets only one modal, then this seems a bit overly niche compared to stuff like the Savage Blows modal for great swords and Vulnerable Strikes modal for estocs, both of which make you better at using those weapons in ways you probably intended to use them in the first place. If any firearm got a modal based around quicker reloads I'd expect it to be the pistol, but alas...

Well, after some reading I wound this: https://en.wikipedia...ki/Pistol_sword

Nice catch, but they might fall a bit outside of the intended technological period, since a lot of those are 17th or 18th century and the ones that aren't look like they'd be unique daggers or swords rather than pistols. What's more problematic from a design perspective, I suspect, is that a lot of those look like they'd require unique handling and/or attack animations whatever weapon type they're associated with.

• 4 months later...

Something Awful is "hidden behind a paywall", so to speak. Content is made arbitrarily unavailable to unsubscribed users for a length of time now and again.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Ooh, wonder if there'll be some muskets with bayonnets. Spear type.

The attachable (non-plug) bayonet didn't really appear until the latter part of the 17th century, so that might be too late for this time period.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

So the modal of the pistol is to use it as melee weapon?

I think over 90% of players will shoot both pistols and then switch to a melee weapon.

The only other thing I could think of is somebody who has 4 weapon slots, fast switching and hoping all hard enemies are dead after 8 shots.

Well, after some reading I wound this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_sword

You could have some special weapons that are not the best pistol and not the best sword, but useful for both things.

I like the polish axe pistol at the bottom of the page most.

The way I was thinking of using this was for a character who's never meant to be in melee. Arquebus main, not switching, then if anyone ever gets close, switch to a double belt of pistols, fire, then flip them to finish the melee attacker if they're still alive.

Edited by CottonWolf