Josh Sawyer Something Awful PoE2 Posts

I liked the DR system, too, but I can't deny that constantly calculating the expected damage output to assess whether or not switching weapons was beneficial in any given situation was something of a hassle. Eventually I just stopped switching weapons altogether because, hey, if it ain't broke, right? If the new system encourages people to play around with weapons some more, it's a plus in my book. :)

I was just taking a note of:

- the fights that I've found the hardest

- average DR of most common trash mobs

And optimized my weapons/stats/party_composition/roles for those, before even starting a new run)

P.S. I suppose that indeed nothing is set in stone yet. PoE1 mechanics (judging by some old threads, and variable names from the code) were changed a lot too.

Another important thing about blunderbuss is its number of hits per attack, sadly Obsidian does not want it to matter anything as well (cipher talent no longer gives +X focus per hit, same with drugs)

What talent are you referring to?

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Draining_Whip

Now it's % but it used to be absolute so it was better with weapons with more hits per second.

But "everything must scale with DPS!" rule has changed it into % so Draining Whip is equally good with every weapon. Balanced. Boring but balanced.

InXile did better job with aimed shots not depending on damage dealt. Thanks to this energy weapons were still useful vs non-conductive armor (which takes almost zero damage from energy). This saved InXile from going back to drawing board to redesign energy weapons.

Vancian =/= per rest.

So, will critical hits now increase penetration rather than directly increasing damage?

• Like 2

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Draining_Whip

Now it's % but it used to be absolute so it was better with weapons with more hits per second.

But "everything must scale with DPS!" rule has changed it into % so Draining Whip is equally good with every weapon. Balanced. Boring but balanced.

Knew about the drug. But didn't know that Draining Whip was giving focus-per-hit instead of focus-per-damage.

Well yeah, it would be hard to balance quick-switching blunderbuss, especially if you also skip recovery. That would result x6 focus gain from the talent compared to dual-wielding daggers at zero-recovery. (for first 3-4 shots ofc)

Tbh, I like that cipher's focus gain scales with dps. You optimize your dps. You get more focus. You deal even more damage via damaging powers; or cc more often and your party deals even more damage. Which spirals further. 

The thing was that it was not that easy to figure out proper weapons/armor/stat-spread/party-buffs-debuffs-composition for the maximum dps, especially when you also had to take DR into account. With penetration system this seems to get quite simplified through.

Like?? There's a greek saying: "Do I have to pull the words out of your mouth with the hook?". Why did he left it tere? Does he need another question to elaborate?

Either Sawyer can't talk about it in-depth because they're still experimenting with different weapon effects and nothing's set in stone yet, or he just enjoys being a tease. Probably a bit of both.

Sawyer a tease? Never.

poe2sawyer.jpg

• Like 6

Yeah, I think the teams solution of having essentially two tiers of companions works fine. Nothing about writing companions means they all need to be as reactive, have the same amount of dialogue, etc. But what the team can do, is set out to reach a certain degree of reactivity. The degree could differ from companion to companion. Maybe one likes to chat up on downtime. Maybe another chimes in a lot while the pc is conversing with npcs.

I don't feel like I'm being gypped just because the sidekicks will be smaller in scale. There will be plenty of content in the game to work through, it's just that it will be nice having a few more people to interact with. Especially in multiple playthroughs. I can prioritize the companions for the stories sake on my first time through.

The nice thing is that these will be better than mercenaries, which I've never been fond of. I typically would rather be a team member down then bother picking up a merc. I guess there are occasions when someone would really want to pick up a particular class, and that is certainly the real reason why mercs are there. But now we have even better options. Also, by the sounds of it, the sidekicks will basically be like companions of infinity games of old. It's not like they will be cardboard cutouts.

Lastly, it sounds like they will be characters which are part of side-quests or tasks. So it's not like there isn't a quest surrounding them. It's just smaller in scope. They will actually be glorified npcs, which is pretty cool.

edit: terrible grammar

Edited by injurai
  • Like 4

Yeah, I think the teams solution of having essentially two tiers of companions works fine.

Pillars 1 basically had two tiers of companions already:  the MCA Duo, and Everybody Else. 

At least this setup is warning the players of what they're getting into.

Edited by Enoch

Not sure If I'm personally upset. But I did quite enjoy the Health/Endurance system. It kind of reminded me of Chrono Trigger, how you fight each encounter fresh. The added aspect of accruing penalties is nice.

​The new injury system seems not that big of a departure from what PoE1 has, just tooled a bit differently. I'm not sure what I want or don't want to be honest. But it's nice having encounters feel like distinct things the overcome, where you won't work yourself into an untenable situation because your too low on health. But then again that is what camping supplies are for. So most people's complaints either way never made much sense to me. The only compaint I had was that the game encourages the saving of per rest spells which makes most encounters the same rotations of per encounter spells. The empowerment solutions solves that.

• Like 1