This update makes me very hyped, but also somewhat wary. I wouldn't want this to become Storm of Zehyr 2, filled with random encounters which all look alike and do nothing but pad out the game and standardize the setting. I hope each encounter will be unique and different, each area uniquely designed and interesting in its own right. I don't want to grow to dread facing the 50th nameless pirate party while looking for the 27th hidden island that may or may not have some unique treasure and quest in it.

As long as the main bulk of the game is still a focused, well written story then, whilst I'm not a big fan of random encounters, I don't mind.

It's not an either/or for me. Certainly the story should be well-written, focused and so on, but exploration is nevertheless an important part of the game, not least given its New World theme, and I think it does require all aspects of exploration to remain unique and not merely as a generic game mechanic.

I mean, I trust Obsidian are likely taking this into consideration already, but all the same I thought I should mention it.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

The real question is: Can we put the Figurhead on our ship?

It could be dragon head, Boar, or full front siren boobs.

Yo dawg, I heard Eothas likes grabbing ships so we put a figurehead of Eothas grabbing a ship on your ship so that he can grab himself grabbing your ship while he grabs your ship?

Here's a question, will Xzibit be the one in charge of pimping our vessel?

Edited by algroth
  • Like 7

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

The real question is: Can we put the Figurhead on our ship?

It could be dragon head, Boar, or full front siren boobs.

Or in lieu of a jail cell or brig, tie up prisoners on it.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

The ship related stretch goals look great, especially the ship customization, menagerie, and being able to acquire different styles of ships through gameplay. The Steward had better be the figurehead of our new ship.

Knowing that the teased 8th companion was one of the sidekicks fleshed out makes me not care as much about hitting $5m. I was thinking it was a brand new character that hadn't been mentioned yet.

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

Noone's excited about free world map travel? I find it great!

I think it's really cool. I'm excited what sort of ocean encounters they can dream up. Certainly a lot of them will be text adventures, but it seems like a handful will be combat encounters. Uncharted Islands will also make it an incredible experience.

• Like 1

I already have the feeling that the game won't be finished in Q1 2018...

No worries, we've waited longer.

We can wait, but the investors may be unhappy about any delays, 'cos those diminish their profits (present value, inflation etc.). But OE does seem to have a lot of finished stuff already - during PoE1's KS they only had a screenshot and a short tech demo. So maybe it's not that unrealistic?

Also, Feargus said in Fig comments that they'd soon email everyone who had ever backed anything on Fig, so this may bring some extra $$$ :)

• Like 1

I don't mind waiting longer for better, richer product.

That said, Feargus mentioned more than once on Fig that they feel pretty confident about the March 2018 target. If pledges/investment money really push the envelope and go higher than $4mm things might get delayed because of more extra content than initially planned, but that'd be totally all right in my book.

• Like 5

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus