the companion portraits for maia and serafen look amazing. at least as good as the eder and pallegina portraits from poe1, and perhaps better.  

thaos reminded us o' jason manley's work from iwd, which is a high compliment.

Thaos_PoE1_portrait_NPC_unmasked_lg.png?

that being said, serafen may be one o' our new faves... though am thinking bright red lipstick might be unnecessary for her.  just sayin.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Ok ok, cool info about relationships, the two companions, whatever. 

Can we agree the most important part of the update was the art of the shirtless Moon (?) Godlike? Need to know more. Now. Why do you do this Obsidian? 

I agree, he is the most important

...to me

Then why can't I know more??  ;(  ;(  ;(  ;(  ;(

Sadly I am not in charge of sharing information, only the distribution of shirts

Then please give the moon godlike a shirt.

He must be freezing, his skin is so blue ;)

So, the $3M is relationships - https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=263#updates - not quite romances but it does say that it could lead to "even love" so probably as close as we'll get.

It looks like it could be an interesting system. I'm not a fan of Bioware style romances, but this doesn't sound like it's going to end up that way.

Hmm, looks like I'll have to roll with a male MC for a change...

the companion portraits for maia and serafen look amazing. at least as good as the eder and pallegina portraits from poe1, and perhaps better.  

that being said, serafen may be one o' our new faves... though am thinking bright red lipstick might be unnecessary for her.  just sayin.

HA! Good Fun!

for some reason.. this thaos looks seem to have similar face with Eder.

Sure lipstick is unnecessary - Serafen is a dude.

Serafen is an orlan cipher/barbarian and a member of the Príncipi sen Patrena, the dominant pirate organization in the region. He was born into slavery and put to work as a rigger and powder monkey since his small size made him ideal for scurrying around ships. / UPDATE#13

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

that being said, serafen may be one o' our new faves... though am thinking bright red lipstick might be unnecessary for her. just sayin.

HA! Good Fun!

Serafen is a boy.

Maia Rua is the girl.

Gods dammit... now i wil always see Serafen in red lipstick saying ....

Why ssssoooo seriousssss?

Edited by Leeuwenhart
  • Like 1

Gods dammit... now i wil always see Serafen in red lipstick saying ....

Why ssssoooo seriousssss?

is that bad?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Thought it was confirmed that his special ability is to steal the magic of Christmas from his foes?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

am not sure who the "he" is we speak o' at this point: thaos, the blue orlan, kana's sister, or perhaps Gromnir.  

though we do not much look like zach galifianakis, we has been accused o' stealing Christmas more than once.  

HA! Good Fun!

ps we do look much like esai morales. 

• Like 1

Omg i hope Nick Offerman is his Voice Actor

me too

Ah i see... youre a developer.

Quick search online saw youre an artist.

So is it safe to assume you made the orlan?

Btw love your work. Over the last 3 years ive passed it without knowing what or who.

Like your dragon age girl you drew i used in the pnp tabletop dragon age rpg i played at home with my buddies.

• Like 2

Romance aside, the deeper character relationship is an interesting goal, but I have some doubts regarding characters traits.

For example, Eder was used by JES to explain the system in the video, and while I can understand his "love for animals" and "dislike for zealots" traits, I don't think a generic "racist" trait fit him very well.

First of all, he doesn't really seem to have problems with other people/cultures/races/whatever in the game, he only made some comments that highlight a mild prejudice against orlans (wild orlans in particular), which fit his uneducated farmer background quite well and is also a very common thing among Dyrwoodians (and actually we've also seen evidence of orlans not being well regarded even in Glanfathan), so it's not like he's any worse than his countrymen and women.

At most he could be considered a guy with some "prejudice against orlans", even though that doesn't stop him from trying (albeit without any social grace and thus failing quite miserably) to be friendly toward Hiravias, nor that mean he treat orlans unfairly/in mean ways in the course of the game. I actually thought that make him a better, more believable character, and his banters with Hiravias in which he says the "face of skin let 'em in, face of hair best beware" was pretty funny, so I wouldn't consider "racist" one of his defining personality traits honestly.

Besides, if he's racist for such minor comments, I guess pretty much anyone else should get the racist trait as well. Even Hiravias himself makes a lot of jokes and even some mean comments about Dyrwoodians and their culture, making clear that he has a prejudice against them (although it's quite obvious given his background), does that makes him racist as well?

The only one that actually seem racist to me in PoE was Durance: he thinks orlans are little more than beasts, he hates other cultures and deities/religions (Aedyr, Raedceras, Eothas, etc.). He was also a great character who fit the setting well, even if he wasn't what most of us consider a "good person", so I'm hoping we're not moving towards political correctness with the writing of this sequel, making every character bland and without a real/believable personality, just to avoid being offensive toward "some people". Having half of Tyranny's writing team on board for PoE2 doesn't exactly looks good on this regard either, given how was it filled with politically corrected BS that was detrimental to the quality of its characters.

Edited by Revan91
  • Like 1

What if somebody kills Kana Rua in poe1, and then encounters his sister in poe2 and she's like "my name is Maia Rua, you killed my brother, prepare to die"

Insta-question for tonight's Twitch. I'm posting it now.

• Like 4

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

What if somebody kills Kana Rua in poe1, and then encounters his sister in poe2 and she's like "my name is Maia Rua, you killed my brother, prepare to die"

Won't happen that way because you can't kill outright kill him in the game, he can just die in battle or die in the blood pool as a sacrifice but no one knows it's your choice in that case, so you won't be held responsible for his death.

Still, it will be interesting to see how she reacts if you import a save in which Kana is dead.