So, the new update went out of its way to mention that the next one will be a "Valentine's Day" one, and combined that statement with the $3m SGoal... I wonder if #TeamRomance will get its wish granted? ;)

Not my thing, but if Obsidian has some ideas for doing it well, then it may be interesting.

I'll look forward to seeing the meltdown from either direction.  :nuke:

• Like 5

Earlier in this thread I saw mention of possible exp/dlc to PoE II. Is this true?, or just speculation. In PoE they offered an addon for the purchase of future exp packs (i.e. White March's). Would like to see the same here. If offered, I would definitely add to my already hefty pledge. I want it all...  :devil:

So, the new update went out of its way to mention that the next one will be a "Valentine's Day" one, and combined that statement with the $3m SGoal... I wonder if #TeamRomance will get its wish granted? ;)

Not my thing, but if Obsidian has some ideas for doing it well, then it may be interesting.

is tough to get worked up 'bout romances 'less obsidian announces a fundamental change.  

if poe2 romances is the bioware style (affection minigame + added prurient appeal) o' "romance," then am expecting such will also be tangential... and necessarily rushed and embarrassingly immature, but also easily avoided. as we noted elsewhere, such stuff would be ideal for dlc, but if is gonna be a stretch goal, we will hardly be concerned 'cause just as with bio's "romances," what largely guarantees their puerile implementation also guarantees Gromnir need never suffer them.

our problems with bioware style romance is more philosophical than anything else.  we don't like how the success o' bioware's sex-me-up minigame has largely destroyed the possibility o' quality romance in any game in which they would coexist, but from a practical pov, their tangential nature makes 'em one o' the game aspects o' least concern to us.  

kinda like godlike, eh? such a ridiculous name, "godlike." solution: don't play godlike.  problem solved. romance solution: don't play 'em.

*shrug*

once such a feature is announced, we don't see much cause for heated debate as it won't change the fact o' implementation and our personal solution is so simple and effective.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

is tough to get worked up 'bout romances 'less obsidian announces a fundamental change.  

if poe2 romances is the bioware style (affection minigame + added prurient appeal) o' "romance," then am expecting such will also be tangential... and necessarily rushed and embarrassingly immature, but also easily avoided. as we noted elsewhere, such stuff would be ideal for dlc, but if is gonna be a stretch goal, we will hardly be concerned 'cause just as with bio's "romances," what largely guarantees their puerile implementation also guarantees Gromnir need never suffer them.

our problems with bioware style romance is more philosophical than anything else.  we don't like how the success o' bioware's sex-me-up minigame has largely destroyed the possibility o' quality romance in any game in which they would coexist, but from a practical pov, their tangential nature makes 'em one o' the game aspects o' least concern to us.  

kinda like godlike, eh? such a ridiculous name, "godlike." solution: don't play godlike.  problem solved. romance solution: don't play 'em.

*shrug*

once such a feature is announced, we don't see much cause for heated debate as it won't change the fact o' implementation and our personal solution is so simple and effective.

HA! Good Fun!

I personally don't want Romance in the game but I wouldn't be too worked up if they did add it.

There are many other things I'd prefer in a Stretch Goal over Romance. In fact Romance being in a stretch goal on it's own may not be the best thing.

If the storyline, companions and the like were not written from the start with Romances in mind it'd feel pretty shoehorned in.

One problem with romances, is that interesting romance relationships are ones that are tenuous. Television can sometimes get it right, because you could have seasons of people being interested in one another. But you get to see all the distraction in life that keep them apart. You have real actors that can put on convincing human emotions. Not everything has to be done through exposition.

​Video game romance sucks because most games can't afford the animation budget for something like that. Plus it's only really works good in cut scenes anyways. Naughty Dog can do it with Drake and Elena. But most relationships have to rely on exposition. I guess V:TMB kind of works, because it's subject matter gives it some space to breath with campy vampire tropes. But in general it just feels like unnatural shoehorning of overly horny carnally starved nymphomaniacs. Like in Bioware games. Even writing a character that is shy isn't all that convincing. Because they are basically standoffish until the final moment when they go all XXX on us.

​Since relationships shouldn't be a primary plot of the game, and will be optional. I think romances will inevitably somewhat disappointing. But if it's disappointing because the romance narrative was too casual, than that is fantastic. Better that than over-doing it and having something be truly loathsome.

One problem with romances, is that interesting romance relationships are ones that are tenuous. Television can sometimes get it right, because you could have seasons of people being interested in one another. But you get to see all the distraction in life that keep them apart. You have real actors that can put on convincing human emotions. Not everything has to be done through exposition.

​Video game romance sucks because most games can't afford the animation budget for something like that. Plus it's only really works good in cut scenes anyways. Naughty Dog can do it with Drake and Elena. But most relationships have to rely on exposition. I guess V:TMB kind of works, because it's subject matter gives it some space to breath with campy vampire tropes. But in general it just feels like unnatural shoehorning of overly horny carnally starved nymphomaniacs. Like in Bioware games. Even writing a character that is shy isn't all that convincing. Because they are basically standoffish until the final moment when they go all XXX on us.

​Since relationships shouldn't be a primary plot of the game, and will be optional. I think romances will inevitably somewhat disappointing. But if it's disappointing because the romance narrative was too casual, than that is fantastic. Better that than over-doing it and having something be truly loathsome.

I think bloodlines worked because the outcome was always to get into the other person's pan... I mean, neck! To bite their neck! A simple, clean goal that's related to gameplay mechanics. And because Bloodlines is such a sexy nightlife world to begin with.

I think romance works best in video games when it's done subtly and most of the action happens off-screen. Some flirting, a few hints and let the player imagine the rest. The minute you put it on center stage, it oozes cheesiness.  

• Like 2

In VtB nighlife was part of gameplay. We need to feed, we could go with rats, or stroll in backalleyes and grab some strollers, or we can go to nightclub and use our stats to seduce chicks (or gals). If we ware preatty that could also alter some quest or npc interaction. With Nosferatu... there is no play for us.

Overall sexytimes worked well in VtB.

Edited by evilcat
  • Like 1

OK, done my bit - pledged at $45 tier as that's what I can afford - roll on next stretch-goal.

Don't forget to like it on FB / follow on Twitter if you have those things - it helps Fulvano's voyage as per the recent update :)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Slightly off topic, but: people do realize that not all BioWare romances have compulsory sex in them, right? There's Solas and Josephine in Inquisition, and you can also advance the romances with Alistair in DAO and Dorian in DAI without sleeping with either of them. While sex was often the end point of the romance back in the BG2 days, that really doesn't happen with most of the more recent BioWare romances. Having sex is really just the starting point with characters like Morrigan and Zevran.

Edited by Andraste

So we reached the 2.6M.. thanks to? :) .. obsidian released another 50K from fig funds. it was previously 1.24M. it's kinda hard to achieve 2.8M.. i know.. i know.. everyone expecting the U-shaped return of funding. so please obsidian release a big one at 3M to spice things up:

3.0M Stretch goals

- 8th & 9th companion

- romance for all gender and sexual demographic

- 3 big cities

- 2 stronghold instead of 1

- 6th and 7th party limit unlocked

ohh.. to add toppings and icing to the cake, 10 exclusive female warcry/chants  :biggrin:

googogoogo obsidian  :dancing:

Edited by Archaven

I'm almost certain we won't get 2 big cities in PoE2. So 3 is certainly out of the question.

You are right.

OE repeatedly express conclusion that 2nd big city "is a trap!" since each big city is bigger inside than outside (many interiors, multilevel dungeones/towers/temples) not to mention density of quests.

Funny thing:

PoE1 - twin elms feel empty and stretched

Tides of Numerea - second big city ended as small vilage of limitted importance

Witcher 3 - even here we have 1 big city.

I hope everyone sees the patern here.

There's a new red warning/announcement on the "Invest" page: "DUE TO HIGH INVESTMENT DEMAND, WE'VE RECENTLY INCREASED THE RESERVATION CAP TO $2.25M." This presumably puts us at $3.6m right now :)

good catch!. i wonder why don't they increase it to 3M? it seems there are bigger party or individuals are more interested in investing than pledge.

Edited by Archaven

More investment means higher cuts to pay out for the entire lifetime of the product. Pledges are more economically advantageous. That said, I welcome the news as that basically gets us an extra stretch goal :)

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

There's a new red warning/announcement on the "Invest" page: "DUE TO HIGH INVESTMENT DEMAND, WE'VE RECENTLY INCREASED THE RESERVATION CAP TO $2.25M." This presumably puts us at $3.6m right now :)

good catch!. i wonder why don't they increase it to 3M? it seems there are bigger party or individuals are more interested in investing than pledge.

Either some legal reasons, or there are diminishing returns involved - allowing more Investors after a point could result in negative long term balance (they will have to pay those people back from sales after all). Also, if it's like previous Fig campaigns, then at least some of the Investors will only be asked to pay a few months from now, and some may change their minds by then, so having a surplus of them is a good thing.

Edited by mph

So, the $3M is relationships - https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=263#updates - not quite romances but it does say that it could lead to "even love" so probably as close as we'll get.

It looks like it could be an interesting system. I'm not a fan of Bioware style romances, but this doesn't sound like it's going to end up that way.

Edited by JerekKruger
  • Like 1

So, the $3M is relationships - https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=263#updates - not quite romances but it does say that it could lead to "even love" so probably as close as we'll get.

It looks like it could be an interesting system. I'm not a fan of Bioware style romances, but this doesn't sound like it's going to end up that way.

Also that references the way companions feel about each other, so hopefully Eder will live happily ever after with Pallegina or something.

So, the $3M is relationships - https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=263#updates - not quite romances but it does say that it could lead to "even love" so probably as close as we'll get. It looks like it could be an interesting system. I'm not a fan of Bioware style romances, but this doesn't sound like it's going to end up that way.

Also that references the way companions feel about each other, so hopefully Eder will live happily ever after with Pallegina or something.

Eder will end up bottoming for the Orlan, mark my words.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

The more they are investors, the more copies the game need to sell for them to recoup their investment and that leads to less profit for all.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Nice update about companion relationships!. Unfortunately, i hope it won't be a tedium for players to manage the likes/dislikes between other companions that could leads to fights and leaving the party or attacking each other. It will only means that you could possibly just mix certain companions together and not encouraging different mixture of party composition.

• Like 1