Yup, I'm pretty sure it's an approval thing, but I still wonder if they drag their feet updating the total funding and stagger them a little here and a little there. It keeps the campaign chugging along, and like I said previously it is a good carrot on a stick scenario for those that haven't pledged or those looking at add-ons.

I expect we will probably get near to double our current pledges. Add on that $800k and you are looking at over $4m. Which isn't including PayPal whenever they get that sorted. We will see.

We are only around 3k backers away from beating Psychonauts which is the most backed game on Fig. It ended with $3.8m in funding. I think we might get close to 30k backers in the end. Maybe more.

From Obsidian's point of view that would make perfect sense. If it goes like that, then they have some control over when updates and new stretch goals are being announced. If you just spam 10 stretch goals at once, then they might be dead on the tracks for some time as all of it would up to backers.

• Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

@Flouride - That's my thinking as well. It keeps the campaign chugging along. I expect it will continue like this until we near the last 3-5 days and all the investments are posted on the main page, but we will see. It makes good business sense to not let the campaign die during the mid-campaign lull.

Also.. i'm confused with the Fulvano voyage.. if someone know that be great.. The page shows it already unlocked 2/6 islands. How is that possible? We don't have 1500 backers yet right?

I think that this counter is just showing where we're at on the journey from 20.5k to 22k backers: around 600 backers in (300 per step/dot). So there's still just the first island.

As for the hidden 800k, I really hope that it's real, and not just some bored individual's attempt to sabotage the campaign...

@Flouride - That's my thinking as well. It keeps the campaign chugging along. I expect it will continue like this until we near the last 3-5 days and all the investments are posted on the main page, but we will see. It makes good business sense to not let the campaign die during the mid-campaign lull.

Maybe they are "slowly" adding to the fig funds when things get abit slow.. to spice things up and to aid in reaching some stretch goals? That's kinda clever..

The warning does mention receiving OVER 2 million, so if a prankster backs out, the guys on the waiting list will chime in

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Also.. i'm confused with the Fulvano voyage.. if someone know that be great.. The page shows it already unlocked 2/6 islands. How is that possible? We don't have 1500 backers yet right?

I think that this counter is just showing where we're at on the journey from 20.5k to 22k backers: around 600 backers in (300 per step/dot). So there's still just the first island.

As for the hidden 800k, I really hope that it's real, and not just some bored individual's attempt to sabotage the campaign...

Ohh.. i get it.. that suxs lol. Let's hope for miracles that 2/3 of original backers come back.

Going by the warning in the investor page (they have over $2m in reservation for funds which is the max allocated), all the stretch goals up to $3.2 millions have been achieved (pending approval).

What does this mean exactly? Does it mean that there is around $800k of investment that has to be checked/agreed upon?

Checked, validated and maybe even collected.

For the Psychonaut 2 campaign, all that was done at the end of the campaign and it took months to collect all the money after the campaign ended. Seems like FIG changed their modus operandi since.

Now, if the way the meter increase is based on someone pushing a button at convenient time or just a coincidence.  :shrugz:

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

I doubt investor funds will count for backer funds.  People need to remember what an investment is.  If someone put 50k in as an "investment" that means they expect to get their 50k back, and a percentage of profit.  I don't expect Obsidian to pay my backer tier back, much less with profits.

^ But nobody said investment funds would count as backer funds?

• Like 1

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Going by the warning in the investor page (they have over $2m in reservation for funds which is the max allocated), all the stretch goals up to $3.2 millions have been achieved (pending approval).

What does this mean exactly? Does it mean that there is around $800k of investment that has to be checked/agreed upon?

Checked, validated and maybe even collected.

For the Psychonaut 2 campaign, all that was done at the end of the campaign and it took months to collect all the money after the campaign ended. Seems like FIG changed their modus operandi since.

Now, if the way the meter increase is based on someone pushing a button at convenient time or just a coincidence.  :shrugz:

I hope they would verify the funds ASAP. Wouldn't be great if out of a sudden those prankster put a fun on the project.

$2.8M:    New companion

$3M:       New temporal companions

$3.2M:    One ability for each multiclass

$3.6M:    Double reactivity, choise and consecuence  :brows:

$3.8M+ : More localizations, implement some ideas the team have and mainly improve the existing elements 

-> I give you all my money

oh, and mod friendly :v

:´v

Edited by Piero

I hope they don't add any extra companions and instead work on making the ones they have more interesting.

I'm all for quality over quantity in general but I hope they do bring one more companion... and I believe they will, saw Feargus drop a hint over on fig. In any case, I'd like to be able to go through the game a second time with a completely different party.

• Like 2

They've already committed to deeper companions, and I agree on the quality over quantity approach too. However, I would welcome an eighth companion for sure, matching the number we had in PoE and providing a bit more variety for party compositions. Besides, it could be written by a guest writer to boot (wink wink George Ziets wink wink) :)

• Like 4

They've already committed to deeper companions, and I agree on the quality over quantity approach too. However, I would welcome an eighth companion for sure, matching the number we had in PoE and providing a bit more variety for party compositions. Besides, it could be written by a guest writer to boot (wink wink George Ziets wink wink) :)

The guest writer will be Eric Fenstermaker who will write Eder and that 8th companion. You heard it from me first ;)

George I imagine is busy enough with Wasteland 3 and working at InXile full time.

Hate the living, love the dead.

George I imagine is busy enough with Wasteland 3 and working at InXile full time.

One can dream :p

I'm starting to think we won't get a stretch goal update again today. It's been 24 hours since we crossed $2.4m, and still no $2.8m goal. I'm wondering if we are going faster than they were anticipating, and they are having to scramble a bit.

am admitted confused by obsidian's (repeated) stretch goal confusion.  perhaps funding is moving quicker than anticipated, but one expects a list o' possible stretch goals woulda' been generated far in advance o' the fig campaign, as well as some kinda basic formula for dealing with slow or fast fundings.  is not complicated to plan ahead.  funding milestones is hit by date X, and minor adjustments is automatic implemented?  guess it weren't a priority, but considering how the obsidians seemed to be having an inadequate stretch goal plan for poe1, we woulda' guessed special attention would be given to poe2 stretch goals.

is not a big deal.  one day elapsed w/o a future stretch goal listed bothers us little to none.  even so, am a smidge surprised.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I wonder if they hit the drawing board because of some of the negative feedback from the past few stretch goals. Berath's Blessing was hit with luke warm reception at best, and the VO update was semi-controversial too. Maybe they are trying to ensure more favorable reactions, and are doing a second pass on ideas.

I'm not upset about the delay on the stretch goal update or anything but it's noticeable. We got such a good update yesterday (not including the stream) that I really can't complain. Tim Cain Cookbook, P&P source book for the franchise, and that sand animation that shows environments will effect gameplay... Not a single thing to complain about with that update.

I wonder if they hit the drawing board because of some of the negative feedback from the past few stretch goals. Berath's Blessing was hit with luke warm reception at best, and the VO update was semi-controversial too. Maybe they are trying to ensure more favorable reactions, and are doing a second pass on ideas.

I'm not upset about the delay on the stretch goal update or anything but it's noticeable. We got such a good update yesterday (not including the stream) that I really can't complain. Tim Cain Cookbook, P&P source book for the franchise, and that sand animation that shows environments will effect gameplay... Not a single thing to complain about with that update.

I've seen just as many people excited for Berath's Blessing as people unhappy with it.

The unhappy ones are just a bit...louder.

I've seen just as many people excited for Berath's Blessing as people unhappy with it.

The unhappy ones are just a bit...louder.

I know, but you typically want everyone happy about a stretch goal. Vocal minorities in a crowdfunding campaign can cause issues, and could very well grow into something that isn't a minority. There are a lot of people looking for content stretch goals, and complain each time the new one is something like VO, AI scripting, etc. I used the term lukewarm for a reason. Some liked it, and some didn't. It was a very middling success for a stretch goal. I like Berath's Blessing myself, but to each their own.

• Like 1

Achievements are the cancer of nowadays gaming.

I wholeheartedly agree... achievements are just the easiest way to try to make a game more replayable.

Much better ways to make it replayable are varied game content depending on your choices, an adaptive world, non-linear gameplay (explore wherever you want, etc.) smarter AI that is fun to try to beat using different main character and party class mixes on later playthroughs... the smarter the AI the more different the same fight might be, depending on whether you are a wizard or a paladin. Also dynamic world and not the "dead world" RPG curse of zones being totally empty forever once you clear them. Etc. things like this.

Achievements are kind of cheesy. I don't see any reason not to do them (might as well) but for me anyway, I wouldn't be fooled that they actually make the underlying game any more interesting or replayable. And if the underlying game isn't super interesting, personally I just move on, why play a boring or generic game over and over for achievements?

Edited by amazeing4art
  • Like 2