You're making it sound like some huge chunk of content is being locked away.

And you making it sound like some achievements are needed to enable content that would give every player more choice and freedom in the first place.

Which blessing do you feel restricts freedom and choice if you aren't able to have it from the start?

Edited by Baramos
  • Like 1

Guys what are you talking about? The Berath's Blessing is a fantastic idea given the number of times we are going to replay the game!

- You can give yourself bonus or penalties in order to adjust difficulty levels.

- You can recruit your favorite companion(s) in the party immediately, instead of waiting hours!

- You can use the blessing as a Dungeon-be-gone mod (Baldur's Gate II), remember?

- You get to keep your personal soulbound weapon, if you want.

- You can instantly have all the money needed to buy fancy clothes!

I mean, what's not to like there? Don't tell me you never wanted any of those in the first game, because I did sooo many times!

Save Xoti, this is the best stretch goal for me!

And all of these are immersion-breakers.

But as long as I can opt out,- then ok. Personally, I think it's a waste of money.

• Like 1

"The harder the world, the fiercer the honour."

Weapon master,- Flail of the dead horse +5.

And all of these are immersion-breakers.

But as long as I can opt out,- then ok. Personally, I think it's a waste of money.

But still for some reason plenty of people ask for a New Game+ mode into every game. If they don't have it, these people will moan like there's no tomorrow.

So from Devs POV it's makes sense to add such mode into the game and since it's optional it won't harm those who don't want such travesty ruining their game ;)

Edited by Flouride
  • Like 3

Hate the living, love the dead.

I just want to point out that I only stated my opinion about Berath's Blessing and I also explained briefly why I think it's (partly) a bad idea. I'm not saying that rewards for playing the game are bad. Just that things that make the game easier even though it gets easier automatically because you'll get better just by playing it is not a good idea in my opinion.

But that doesn't mean that I don't respect other people's opinions (or even the people themselves) if they don't agree. It's totally fine for me if others like the whole idea. I just want to give constructive criticism. I'm a 40 year old fart male german and I'm very aware that my taste does not match with everybody else's (I like linoleum floors*). :)

It might be optional, but even then it adds a lot of noise to the game when you want tot talk about builds in the forums for example. And even though it's optional, it ill take time and money to implement and thus will influence other features of the game that I might consider more important.

Since this is a stretch goal discussion, alternative opinions might come in handy. Otherwise it would be a stretch goal consent. ;)

By the way I don't care too much about steam achievements. I don't think they are bad and I don't think they are good. I kind of like in-game achievements if they are well made. Like unlocking things that don't improve the game mechanics but let you customize the game a bit and help you to show off: styles, fancy outfits, props for your gear (bigger horns for your helmet, wings or fur for your armor), changing graphic effects and so on. That I would totally love to see. Doesn't fit with Berath of course... ;)

*) no, not vinyl floors! The natural stuff, linoleum.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

As long as we don't know the exact scope of the base game, everyone's gonna be let down by stretach goals. Naturally so. As I said before, I think most interesting features are already in base game so I don't expect any super exciting stretch goals. That said, Obsidian should give it away (the full scope) soon. They go bit by bit but this doesen't help imo. We're a bit in the dark.

Backer goal is cool tough; Fulvano's travels as a replacement to the Endless Paths sounds great.

Edited by Sedrefilos

By the way I don't care too much about steam achievements.

Me too. But is  it steam achievement ? Perhaps it is only "clear the game". Or internal achievements. General achievements ? (kill adra dragon, found all soulbound item)

And also, developpers will surely give a function to disable these bonuses.

That said, indeed, it is not the same thing if you build in NG+ and build in NG. I perceive your position. There is the denatured effect of NG+ which can be annoying.

EDIT : But if I understand, there is a raise of difficulty in NG+ ? So if the format is different, is less disturbing.

Edited by theBalthazar

NG+ in PoE is optional and doesn't require you to finish the game. However, for build posting I would generally require that no bonuses from NG+ are included; builds should always be viable to everyone from their first playthrough.

• Like 4

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

NG+ in PoE is optional and doesn't require you to finish the game. However, for build posting I would generally require that no bonuses from NG+ are included; builds should always be viable to everyone from their first playthrough.

Yeah, I suspect this will quickly become the standard format in the builds subforum. After all, people can always choose to modify a build themselves with Berath points, but it's a lot harder to unpick exactly where someone might have spent Berath points and remove them.

• Like 2

I am a bit very skeptical about this gifted bonuses IF they include stats or items unobtainable via other means.

It's always a great pleasure to overcome a decent challenge. That's why many of us, increase the difficulty of the game to the maximum.

Giving a stat increase, would be a great temptation as we try to optimize our builds to their fullest potential; yet it is something that we are not going allow ourselves to take, as it undermines the challenge. Not to mention:

However, for build posting I would generally require that no bonuses from NG+ are included; builds should always be viable to everyone from their first playthrough.

Which really makes sense.

TLDR: I feel conflicted. Personally I like increasing the difficulty to it's maximum, while I absolutely hate hindering character build and his stat spread.

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 2

The 2.6 million goal is a very interesting concept. Obviously mileage is going to vary on that. As long as you can choose to abstain, as it were, from the bonuses/rewards, if you so choose, then there's no real issue. Letting the player decide what's right for them, in this regard, is best, as the difficulties a player wishes to face, or not face, can vary greatly from one player to the next.

I cannot forget the follies and vices of others so soon as I ought, nor their offenses against myself.

My feelings are not puffed about with every attempt to move them. My temper would

perhaps be called resentful. My good opinion once lost is lost forever.”

- Pride and Prejudice

... while I absolutely hate hindering character build and his stat spread.

I can understand this feeling, but I suspect it'll be easier to resist spending blessing points on additional attributes that, say, deliberately spending less than your full allocation of 78 attribute points. The latter feels like you're deliberately leaving something out, whereas the former will (hopefully) feel like you adding something in.

When you boning POE 1, you realize that attributes do not have a crazy influence.

So if berath give + 5 to share for all attributes, it is not crazy.

I can assure you I haven't boned PoE once ;)

But yeah, attributes aren't all that important. That said, it depends on how Berath's blessing works. If it gives you five extra points to be distributed as normal, subject to racial maximums then that's not that big a deal*; but if it allows you to go beyond the racial cap using those points then, for example, starting with 25 Intellect as a Barbarian is pretty damn powerful.

All this said, people have been suggesting rather large numbers for the bonus attribute points. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you only get +1, or perhaps there are six different blessings each which give +1 to a specific attribute. Pure speculation on my part of course.

*It's still equivalent to one of the +10 Fortitude/Reflex/Will defence talents in your lowest defence, which is nothing to sneeze at.

• Like 1

I can understand this feeling, but I suspect it'll be easier to resist spending blessing points on additional attributes that, say, deliberately spending less than your full allocation of 78 attribute points. The latter feels like you're deliberately leaving something out, whereas the former will (hopefully) feel like you adding something in.

Khm, I already hardly resist temptation of getting Gift of the Machine and Effigy Resentment in full party runs...

When you boning POE 1, you realize that attributes do not have a crazy influence.

Partially true, except for DoTs. But shhhh...

I can assure you I haven't boned PoE once ;)

Wait! What? Have I missed something odd in the fetishism department as of late. Is this a new thing?

Hmm, I'd better not raise the topic at all. It may be contagious. :geek:

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I don't like Berath's blessings. I rather it be the 8th companion  :down:

To even achieve 2.6M looks super hard. I hope at 2.8M .. it will be the 8th companion. Really disappointing that they keep coming up with these fillers stretch goals. They probably want to save it for last.. that's not cool. And i'm abit worried we may not get a jump of backers last min.

To even achieve 2.6M looks super hard.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/

PoE2 campaign has 16 days left, at this point the PoE1 kickstarter had  about the same money this campaign currently has and PoE1 ended at 4 million.

People in general either get things done right away or they're procrastinators, so most of the funding commes at the start or the end of the campaign. It would be extremely surprising if they don't hit 3 million at least. I think enthusiasm might be slightly lower than it was for PoE1 because this time the game is guaranteed to come out either way regardless of the crowdfunding and Fig isn't as popular as Kickstarter but I'd expect it to hit about 3.5 million.

Edited by limaxophobiacq
  • Like 4

It bears considering that there are people who can't back on Fig, and people who could but absolutely don't want to. Many of them will be backing via PayPal when it becomes available (should be this week according to Feargus.).

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

To even achieve 2.6M looks super hard.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/

PoE2 kickstarter has 16 days left, at this point the PoE1 kickstarter had  about the same money this kickstarter currently has and PoE1 ended at 4 million.

People in general either get things done right away or they're procrastinators, so most of the funding commes at the start or the end of the campaign. It would be extremely surprising if they don't hit 3 million at least.

Yes i know. Crowd-funding seems to have slow down or became not so popular compared to when it first got announced. Even simple card game exploding kittens card game get 8M!. If you asked me, a game is much more complicated and complexed and should be achieving 8M instead!.

Not trying to be negative, in view of recent backlash in kickstarter projects, i'm trying to stay being realistic. Even they could reach 3M, i would sincerely hope more of the original backers to come back. I'm really clueless why they have not. Was it really fig problem that backers couldn't get thru the backing with their credit card of something? Let's hope they can announce paypal soonest.. even if 50% of the original is back, that would have been great help.

We're almost in the middle of the campaign where all campaigns are slowest. The Project Eternity campaign made only 20-30k a day around the mid point. This campaign has made 70k two days ago and a bit more than 60k yesterday. And it's already about 300k ahead of the 1st campaign after an equal amount of days had passed.

There's really no reason to worry. I'm almost sure that this campaign will raise more money than the first one.