Funny. I'm most eager to hear about systems changes with skills, classes, talents, attributes, and the like. I really want some more meaty details on those things. I am eager for tonight's Twitch stream in hopes of getting news on those topics.

I wont be able to watch the stream due to timing issues. I hope someone would be good enough to post it up on youtube.

Yeah, I think the stretch goals up to now have been a bit too technical, except for the new companion. Hard to get very excited about. I mean, I really like detailed AI scripting and it's great that it's in. Will make the game better. But it doesn't exactly fire up the imagination...

The big guns will be saved for the end. Don't be surprised if another companion gets put up there, or a new take on the Mega Dungeon happens.

Oh, I'm fully expecting this. I'm not necessarily talking about stretch goals... But some new artwork would be cool. A map of the deadfire archipelago perhaps. Or some more details about some stuff we already know a bit about. Who's the blue-haired orlan, or the aumaua with the bird? I'm sure it will be coming but I'm starting to feel ready for some more meaty stuff... It started with a bang, literally. That giant Adra statue waking up and breaking through the ground? I immediately thought, yes, awesome idea! Deadfire archipelago and pirate theme? Exactly what I wanted! I feel it's getting time for some more of that even though I understand that they want to keep the best for last.

Even with new information it's better for them to give information in little pieces. It maximizes the exposure they get from media. If they hand out everything within the 1st week, they have nothing to show or talk about for the next 3 weeks.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Funny. I'm most eager to hear about systems changes with skills, classes, talents, attributes, and the like. I really want some more meaty details on those things. I am eager for tonight's Twitch stream in hopes of getting news on those topics.

I wont be able to watch the stream due to timing issues. I hope someone would be good enough to post it up on youtube.

I believe you can watch the stream from twitch when ever you want to.

Hate the living, love the dead.

They are pretty good at saving these videos on Twitch, and they've uploaded all the PoE ones with Josh from the past few months on YouTube. Either way, I'm sure these forums will get an explosion to topics for when your time allows too.

• Like 1

Maybe i'm not good in using Twitch.. most of the time i clicked the links to Twitch.. it was something like "Offline" and i can't see stuff.

Maybe i'm not good in using Twitch.. most of the time i clicked the links to Twitch.. it was something like "Offline" and i can't see stuff.

There should be tab for Offline videos, and that's where you'll find it. Regardless of whether or not Obsidian is online.

2 things i wanna point out:

1- Localization stretch goals at start are a good choice to get people in, i've backed the game as soon as italian localization popped up, so did many other friends and i'm pretty sure many spanish and russian folks too.

2- For what i've red, they won't add the new stronghold (the ship) via stretch goal because it's already on the game but there will be a stretch goal related to it, basically more options

Edited by Mazisky
  • Like 3

2 things i wanna point out:

1- Localization stretch goals at start are a good choice to get people in, i've backed the game as soon as italian localization popped up, so did many other friends and i'm pretty sure many spanish and russian folks too.

2- For what i've red, they won't add the new stronghold (the ship) via stretch goal because it's already on the game but there will be a stretch goal related to it, basically more options

Yeah, I figured the Stronghold (ship) will be like the Ebon Hawk of the Kotor games if we don't meet its goals, and predominantly be used for traveling the Deadfire Archipelago. What those stretch goals will add is a mystery, and one that I want to know. Lol

• Like 1

So I'm closely following the controversies regarding T:ToN and InXile while defending them when I can. Anyway I read this comment by a backer from their latest update on KS:

My wife is Italian and has done localization for Italian game publishers. She got out of it. There are a lot of problems with Italian localization and the issue is not the language (it's actually one of the easier languages to work with) but the games industry in Italy. Italian game developers are leaving Italy in droves because the industry struggles with corruption, toxicity, and unprofessionalism in too many areas. This is why more and more indie games are not just bothering with Italian localization because it is just not worth dealing with it. The triple A industry has no problem putting as much as they need to into it in order to expand their market but indie studios just do not have the budget, nor the time involved. Stop blaming InExile when you do not know the whole story. Maybe the problem is on their end. Maybe (as I strongly suspect) it's on the end of Italian distributors. But you don't know. Be angry if you wish, but you do not necessarily know who is to blame.

Dunno if it's legit but it makes me nervous. I really don't want to see another debacle like this involving game developers that I like. Please research beforehand with every country that you guys are committed to do localization to avoid any potential problems like this. If you know early on that some localizations will be way more expensive than you thought, you can choose to have the community do it for you, and be forthcoming about it too since translation work done by the community will prolly not be as good as the professionals.

Edited by Skyleaf

So I'm closely following the controversies regarding T:ToN and InXile while defending them when I can. Anyway I read this comment by a backer from their latest update on KS:

My wife is Italian and has done localization for Italian game publishers. She got out of it. There are a lot of problems with Italian localization and the issue is not the language (it's actually one of the easier languages to work with) but the games industry in Italy. Italian game developers are leaving Italy in droves because the industry struggles with corruption, toxicity, and unprofessionalism in too many areas. This is why more and more indie games are not just bothering with Italian localization because it is just not worth dealing with it. The triple A industry has no problem putting as much as they need to into it in order to expand their market but indie studios just do not have the budget, nor the time involved. Stop blaming InExile when you do not know the whole story. Maybe the problem is on their end. Maybe (as I strongly suspect) it's on the end of Italian distributors. But you don't know. Be angry if you wish, but you do not necessarily know who is to blame.

Dunno if it's legit but it makes me nervous. I really don't want to see another debacle like this involving game developers that I like. Please research beforehand with every country that you guys are committed to do localization to avoid any potential problems like this. If you know early on that some localizations will be way more expensive than you thought, you can choose to have the community do it for you, and be forthcoming about it too since translation work done by the community will prolly not be as good as the professionals.

I can put many examples of indies on steam who provide italian localization. 

Did they use some sorcery? How did they pass through this whole bad bad world of corruption and toxcitiy? 

How did Obsidian managed to localize PoE 1 in italian without meeting all this postapocalyptic scenario?

Edited by Mazisky
  • Like 1

I don't really understand why Italian localisation has to have anything to do with the Italian games industry, or indeed anyone in Italy at all. What it needs is someone to translate all the dialogue, menus, contextual tool tips etc. If handled properly by the developer it should involve no programming on the part of the translator at all. And whilst I am sure a handful of Italians would deny the possibility, I am fairly certain there are many absolutely excellent English to Italian translators living in the US, completely independent of the Italian games industry.

• Like 3

I don't really understand why Italian localisation has to have anything to do with the Italian games industry, or indeed anyone in Italy at all. What it needs is someone to translate all the dialogue, menus, contextual tool tips etc.

Translation from a language to another is not that simple. It's easy to translate menus and buttons but scripted text and dialogues can't be "just translated". They must be "turned" into Italian (and this goes for every other language of course). And I believe a fantasy game set in renaissance-esque period or with a sci-fi theme has terms and words not everyone is familiar with. That said, according to our fellow Italians in here, Pillars 1 had an excellent Italian translation so Obsidian all they have to is hire the same person(s).

But I can understand the difficulties of localization.

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 1

Translation from a language to another is not that simple. It's easy to translate menus and buttons but scripted text and dialogues can't be "just translated". They must be "turned" into Italian (and this goes for every other language of course). And I believe a fantasy game set in renaissance-esque period or with a sci-fi theme has terms and words not everyone is familiar with. That said, according to our fellow Italians in here, Pillars 1 had an excellent Italian translation so Obsidian all they have to is hire the same person(s).

But I can understand the difficulties of localization.

Oh I'm aware of that, my dad does translation work. But I still don't see why anyone from the Italian video games industry needs to get involved. That was the point that I was replying to since that was the thrust of the quote Skyleaf gave. I have no doubt that translating a game like PoE into Italian (or indeed any other language) poses unique challenges compared to, say, translating a fantasy novel, and probably a translator will charge more for it and there will need to be more back and fourth with the developer, but I don't see why that requires someone from the Italian games industry to get involved.

• Like 1

things are slowing to a crawl.. obsidian really has to do something when the next goal is hit. they need to announce the big guns already.

Not really. We've made almost 50k in 18 hours or so. That has been the norm since the initial rush of the first couple days. The middlish days of the campaign always slow down, and $60ish K a day isn't bad. If that holds as the average, then by the final couple days (where another big push will come) it will have around $3m. Usually the last two days make around the same as the first two. Maybe a little less. The first couple days made around $1.4m. That means a total of around $4.5m, if the trend holds.

• Like 1

Also keep in mind the devs discussed having a "community" stretch goal again (like the Endless Paths) and PayPal is missing.

Once either of the two are up I'm sure we'll see a little boost.

Yup. Also, I expect stretch goals to get more interesting than AI scripting or portraits as we pass these. Not that I don't like those things, but I expect their big hitters will be weighted to the end of the campaign. Such as things regarding the Stronghold replacement, maybe another companion, etc. Also, localizations are a good way to string each smaller stretch goal along.

We are $6k from $2m. At 3:45pm est yesterday we were at $1.911m, and now at 10:35PM est (about 19 hours later) we are at $1.94m. 19 hours and we jumped $85k. That's a good pace at this point in a crowdfunding campaign. Still having near $100k days during the middle of the campaign is good.

Anyway, get ready to learn about a new stretch goal. :D

• Like 5

things are slowing to a crawl.. obsidian really has to do something when the next goal is hit. they need to announce the big guns already.

Not really. We've made almost 50k in 18 hours or so. That has been the norm since the initial rush of the first couple days. The middlish days of the campaign always slow down, and $60ish K a day isn't bad. If that holds as the average, then by the final couple days (where another big push will come) it will have around $3m. Usually the last two days make around the same as the first two. Maybe a little less. The first couple days made around $1.4m. That means a total of around $4.5m, if the trend holds.

I certainly hope so!. The first was only around 3.9M. To me, PoE is really a great franchise and it certainly deserves more. Kinda suxs to see some exploding kittens card game made more than 5M and such a masterpiece to a successor of Baldur's Gate isn't holding up.

Edit

And no.. i was wrong.. exploding kittens funded 8M+. What has the world gone to. If i have to play a card game, i go for Magic The Gathering.

Edited by Archaven

LoL, i feel a little dumb in following that number growing over time, but those campaigns are pretty exciting! What a bunch of nerds we are   :dancing:

Me too! I keep refreshing the figstarter page.. and it seems the number will be updated on it's own that i don't realy need to spam F5

• Like 1

Any predictions for the $2.4M stretch goal? Like:

- ship customization (sails colors, interior designs buyable in ports, laboratories, various improvements for the hinted naval battles, like: cannons, ship speed and durability enhancements)

- deeper enchanting system (already hinted by Josh as part of the game, but never hurts to add some more,.. like ability to move an enchant from one item to another, (optionally) destroying the former in process)

- crafting (armor and weapons included, with item icon/appearance selection out of predefined/existing options) (or at least something like ability to copy the appearance of one armor to another, if they are of the same type)

- optional hard bosses (comparable to PoE1 dragons in difficulty and higher)

- arena (could be Oblivion style)

Edited by MaxQuest